Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old February 4th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Pics of front valve cover -cover

Anybody tried making a custom front valve cover valley cover? If so -then post some pics up. I am trying to make me one with little success and so I am looking for some ideas. I may post some pics of my own attempt later on -to see if I can get some ideas on how to make it better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 4th, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #2
ZE-Infused
PT Regular

Both Dale and Scott have made them. They are on the facebook groups.
07 MS6
ZE-Infused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #3
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZE-Infused View Post
Both Dale and Scott have made them. They are on the facebook groups.
I don't do Facebook. If you communicate with them anytime soon -tell them to come on here and post up. Thanks!

Old February 4th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #4
P1P
Turbo Member

Last edited by P1P; February 4th, 2017 at 03:52 PM.
P1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #5
KLZE Porsche

Who's is that one?

Old February 4th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #6
LowClassCC
Fazda Tuning

Here is Scott's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16143130_1327008503987698_2031797010104569937_n.jpg (85.3 KB, 43 views)

LowClassCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #7
LowClassCC
Fazda Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
Who's is that one?
I do not know who made that one but that is the style Dale was making.

LowClassCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #8
KLZE Porsche

I have been trying to make the bent sheet metal type -but something about it just doesn't sit right with me:

So this is the CNC idea I am tossing around:

But after calling around to a few of the CNC shops -so far nobody wants to touch it. I think they absolutely do not want to do "one-offs". One CNC machine shop that advertises "we can machine nearly anything" quickly told me that "We don't do automotive stuff" even though I explained that it was an extremely simple piece. I may end up having to machine it myself if I can't find a CNC shop that will do it.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 7th, 2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #9
BLUEnoEQ

Machining? Couldn't you cut a flat piece, bend up the edges with a brake and weld the corners, grind the welds, then sand and paint or chrome it?

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #10
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Machining? Couldn't you cut a flat piece, bend up the edges with a brake and weld the corners, grind the welds, then sand and paint or chrome it?
Only if I was really good at welding sheet metal -and then it might help if had my own welding rig.

It is far easier for me to take a block of aluminum, radius the corners/edges and hollow it out with an end mill. I was just trying to be lazy and have a machine shop make it for me. It would save me a lot of time and elbow grease.

The real one in the example above is made of sheet metal (aluminum) and bent. But to cut slots, bend the edges and have someone seam weld it -would take some extreme skills and probably at the cost of 10 cases of beer or so. I just didn't like the open ends of it and how -no matter how you try to finish the ends (short of slotting, bending, seam welding) -it just can't look good in my vision.

However -the CNC one with slots in the ends that are made just the right size so that they grip standard 7mm or 8mm wires and hold them like wire holders would -seems like a much better option to me. And then there is the possibility of a logo etching between the two bolt holes.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 8th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 18th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #11
KLZE Porsche

After some trimming and a little more polish -I think I like it a little better. However -the CNC version would still be sweeter. Or perhaps a carbon fiber approach!

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 19th, 2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #12
BLUEnoEQ

Well it looks good. Do you have risers underneath the cover or are those screws going through the valve cover itself?

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #13
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Well it looks good. Do you have risers underneath the cover or are those screws going through the valve cover itself?
I used some Honda riser pieces that are long bolts with screw threads in the top. I had to cut them, turn them on the lathe on the bottom and then thread them to M6-1.0 thread (typical KL valve cover thread).

So they screw into the typical location and provide a threaded hole for the cover screws to thread into.

Photos:

So now -I just put the modified bolt in like normal to bolt down the valve cover and then install the valley cover and run the screws into the tops of the two modified Honda pieces. I also trimmed the pull knobs from the spark plug wires so that the valley cover will sit lower:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 19th, 2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old February 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #14
proboner

Looks very nice

Elo-

The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Project RWD- RWD PGT For Sale... pm me if interested
proboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #15
KLZE Porsche

It will do for now -but I just can't get the billet idea out of my head. I finally did get a quote back for the basic machine work from one machine shop and it was $150. This doesn't even include time for a final finish. I would still have to spend many hours to add any finishing touches such as polish, anodising and/or laser etching wording etc... I could see easily putting several hundred dollars into it.

So I ended up buying a carbide tipped 1/8" router bit -with sealed roller bearing -to put the radius's on all edges. I bought a bar that is the exact size needed for the raw piece -so that I do not have any machine work to rough it into the correct dimensions.

All I need to do is to put a 10 deg face on two sides -which I figured I could do with a large sanding drum in a drill press. Then I would route the edges and finally use a vertical mill to hollow it out underneath. We have a mill where I work and I was told that I could use it.

The 6160 bar cost me around $15.50 and the router bit cost me $20.88. So at this point I have less than $40 into it -which is a far cry from $150 and leaves a margin to pay for the other options (anodising or laser etching)

Old March 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #16
KLZE Porsche

Added a little more "Bling-Bling"

I've been doing some experimenting and have found some dress-up hardware that I feel looks good on a KL engine. It is a mix of this-n-that from here and there. I will either post up a How-to thread later on for parts to dress up a KL engine -or post up the part numbers here.

I have some more washers coming tomorrow to experiment with -that may end up replacing our stock washer caps and rubber grommets -that I still have beneath the blue billet stuff.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 10th, 2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old March 10th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #17
P1P
Turbo Member

looks good

did adding the washers change the thread depth
P1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #18
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1P View Post
looks good

did adding the washers change the thread depth
I ordered all custom hardware. I ordered the countersunk allen heads from measurements that I took with allowance for the billet pieces.

I got the sealing washers today from McMaster Carr and they are junk even though they are listed as stainless. They are very cheaply made. So I may end up peeling the rubber washers off them and just gluing them to the bottoms of the billet pieces.

This is some serious experimentation here (mostly fail)! Most of the junk you order on eBay from China that is labeled as SS hardware -cannot be trusted as actually being SS. The first Honda kit that I ordered for the valley cover HW has nice pretty blue anodised pieces -but the SS HW is plated -and coming off when received -so there is no telling what grade of metal they are. McMaster Carr has 316SS that I trust much better than anything coming from China. At least with MCM -you can return it if it doesn't turn out to be SS.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 10th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #19
sbeube02

I really like how you are devoted to the KL engine. Looks really good.
sbeube02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:54 AM   #20
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeube02 View Post
I really like how you are devoted to the KL engine. Looks really good.
Thanks! I guess everyone has a hobby. Mine just happens to be the Probe and the KL engine. I think both still have a lot of unexplored potential.

I have finally sorted out all of the hardware. I will try to get a good collection of photos and part numbers to post up here on PT for reference. Most of the hardware minus the blue pieces and the valley cover extender bolts -was acquired from McMaster Carr. However -you can get the same sizes/threads etc. from eBay. I just don't trust the quality coming blindly from China. Their idea of stainless steel -is often silver paint on mystery metal.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 14th, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old March 28th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #21
Probesport
20 years of Probin'

We used to make the fiberglass insert ones, also made stainless ones for awhile. I am sure they are out there.

That P1P one looks similar to one of our fiberglass ones.

|
|
|
| 2005 VW Touareg V8
Probesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #22
PGTBrow
NOT Daily Driven

Love seeing some of the OG names in here

PGTBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #23
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

My turd.

~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~
MonoxideChild is offline   Reply With Quote