No announcement yet.

How to: Honda Civic Short Throw Shifter (STS) Install/Adaptation Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ohhh ok. did anyone elses shifter lose their threads? and not go on tightly?
    97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

my stock shift knob went on with no fuss, and its very tight
      Matt
      '00 Wrangler, '99 Z28
      '03 Tiburon GT 6-speed. I/H/E, IM, B&M STS, 15% tints, 4200k HIDs- Sold
      '97 PGT MTX, Black/Tan, Chrome Swirlies w/ many mods ~"Totalled"~
      '94 PGT MTX- Stock-Sold

Comment

just to let everyone know..... i bought this shifter off ebay and the through bolt that conects the bottom linkage fit PERFECTLY when i bought two washers the same size as the ones that cam with it just thinner, the install went flawless. Seriously i had ablsloutely Zero problem with fitting the cups or anything. If your going to get one get this exact style!!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

U guys who ordered from EVOVECTOR. U run into any problems?
          95 PSE 2.0
          ATX-MTX
          Silver Blue Mist Metallic

Comment

hi guys idk how old this post is....but i bought one of those shifters, naturally the cheapest one...i put one in on an integra w/o any problems...i get the white grease , but where and wat kind of bushings do i get ....i kno 3/8" but wat would i tell someone at watever store it may be? any other pointers ? thanks
            Last edited by Rosati; April 20, 2004, 05:17 AM.
            -All ya need is money, then you can talk outta your ass about your car.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...sigthisone.jpg -PGT Sold ZE Purple/Blue KLZE HKS/home depot CAI Hks Filter,Ps headers, Test pipe, 2.5" Custom Cat-back w/ Edelbrock Muff, Mx3 Flywheel,Gunmetal Fd's, MSD 6al w/ Blaster Coil 65mm TB
            -00 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GT3071R 400Hp Daily Driver

Comment

get one that is the same size as the washers that came with is except that is about the thickness of a penny.

Comment

hoping.

i dont know if this has been answered yet, but i havent seen it in any of the replies.

will this work with 2.0 probes? i dont know why it would make a difference but im just wondering if this mod will work with the probe 2.0s

*crosses fingers*

Comment

Wow, I wish I would have known this a year ago. It would have saved me $100. Damn that sucks. Well I know how to mod my little sis's car cheap. Man I feel !!! Well good write up though.
                  1978 Buick Regal: only 60,000! getting G-machine transformation
                  1994 PGT: silver, HKS exhaust, test pipe, home made CAI, RR-STS, Polly shifter stabil, CMIII, Fidanza, Khumo 712's, Gound controls yet to be installed.
                  CZT Racing

Comment

Additional pictures added, some of the procedure wording and recommendations changed. If any of you are wondering, the first picture in the guide is how a RR-Racing STS sits in the car. The last picture in the guide is how a double bend Civic STS sits.
                    Marc M.
                    Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                    2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

it will work on the 2.0
                      W-I-M-P you cant spell wimp without the MP!

13B~Artillery is the life for me

Comment

Great write-up! I just installed mine in less than a hour! It was quite a bit easier than I expected and works great. Thanks, again!

Comment

couple of comments

First off, there is a bearing sleve inside the existing stock shifter that you can cut down to use as washers, though this involves some time and the proper tools. An easier rout to go for the washers- the bearings inside the shifter are abec 5 bearings.(at least this is the case with a 96-00 civic sts, this shifter, btw, has the perfect size hole for the stock through bolt, it fits perfectly in with no wiggle room and no play) Back to the abec 5's, You can go to a hockey store and get bearing washers in all thickness' that work perfectly with the bearings because the sizing is designed to grip the center of the bearing and the outside of the skate chassis without binding. THis works great because the shift linkage is just like a skate chassis. Or you could go to a skateboard shop and get a similar washer although only very slim washers are available there. This is the rout i took, placing two skateboard bearing weashers on either side of the shifter. I have zero up and down play in gear and very little side to side. My side to side is only due to the linkage being a little sloppy at the next connection or bolt point. I think if i were to tighten that it would solve the little play i have now.

I got the 96-00 civic single bend, i ordered the double but they sent the wrong one. I installed it anway and the shift nob still sits in a very nice place with the single bend and has a great angle. Throw was reduced about 36-38 percent by my measurements allowing for a little descrepency. I paid $18, this is the best mod for the money, you cant beat it.

Hope this helps someone, my install took 25 minutes

Oh, and i also did not manage to fit the nylon washer back in, but everything was very firm nevertheless.
                          Last edited by AgnosticVisions; May 30, 2004, 03:07 PM. Reason: incorrect information
                          Want to buy a PGT?

Comment

one more thing---The civic shifter is tapered from the top, it gradually gets wider as it goes down. To make the shift boot seat snugly against the nob, screw the nob on with no boot as tightly as you want it. Make a mark at the bottom of the nob, remove the nob. Take a zip tie and tighten it up one half inch below the mark you made. Now pull the zip tie up and tighten it a click or two so that when you slide it down as far as it will go it sits about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the mark you made. Now when you place the boot on it wont be slack below the nob and it will retain a nice "factory" snug fit. You never have to worry about the zip tie going down because of the taper of the shifter.

This is what i did, there are probably better ways of doing this but this worked great for me and it was easy.

(dont forget to trim the zip tie, but dont cut it too close or it may come undone in the future)
                            Want to buy a PGT?

Comment

Well I just got my double bend civic STS installed today....Sadly it was NOT a direct drop in install. I have installed STS's before without a problem but it seemed the ball on my STS was a little big. The upper cup would not fit without some major dremmeling. So finally I got the cup just right and installed it. It took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish(other times took 1/2 hour) because of that damn cup and I used five separate washers(from my skateboard) on the linkage which was tricky and I took about 1/4 to half an inch off the top of the shifter to shorten it a little.

The STS is very stiff hardly any play at all... the throws seem unbelievably short(shorter than my rr STS) and its not really notchy just VERY stiff and I made sure I didnt overtighten the linkage....

Well all in all its pretty nice... nicer than my rr sts.... It is a little stiff and Im kinda thinking I shoulda gone with the single bend now but all well I guess Ill just have to get used to it.
                              95 pgt
                              97 240sx

Comment

yes the skateboard washers are diffinitely tricky, one side is ok, but trying to get the washers on the second side after the bolt is already halfway through is another story. After some playing i used an allen wrench placed just barely into the linkage hole on the opposite side i was inserting the bolt on and hung the washers there carefully untill the bolt slid through. They fell several times but eventually it worked. i would suggest putting a little superglue on the washers and sticking them together to make them easier to handle as suggested by someone earlier on this thread.
                                Want to buy a PGT?

Comment

Working...
                                X