Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Performance Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Performance

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Performance Discussion of Performance topics for V6 2.5L

Old February 29th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #26
Brizzy
Turbo Member

Klg4 with a straight neck manifold?

M62 In Progress...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #27
WhiteDart
POC Mod

Something look off about that ZE disty but I cant quite put my finger on it. With the lack of a crank sensor it would not surprise me if it was set up like a 93-94 with both single and 6 tooth Hall sensors. I have one sitting in the garage ill compare it to when I get home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gone but not forgotten:
(
) Its not purple dammit! Its
BOYSENBERRY!
New project
Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.
WhiteDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #28
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDart View Post
With the lack of a crank sensor it would not surprise me if it was set up like a 93-94 with both single and 6 tooth Hall sensors...
It would almost have to be. And the disty looks odd with only one connector.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #29
SuperSquid
It's all J-dogg's fault

there's a lot that doesn't add up on that engine.....the newer style cam caps coupled with DE cams and the castings on the heads....what is the codes stamped on the heads?

The valve cover is also found on millenia engines....that's where I've pulled them from.

I'd wonder if it was a performance swap in japan to switch to the straight neck intake on a DE-ish motor....maybe it was a curve neck and someone swapped the straight neck on it.
'94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
'90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I gotz turboz. Now with T3....
'96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed.
SuperSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #30
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquid View Post
there's a lot that doesn't add up on that engine.....the newer style cam caps coupled with DE cams and the castings on the heads....what is the codes stamped on the heads?

The valve cover is also found on millenia engines....that's where I've pulled them from.

I'd wonder if it was a performance swap in japan to switch to the straight neck intake on a DE-ish motor....maybe it was a curve neck and someone swapped the straight neck on it.
There are too many of them showing up for sale for it to be that possibilty. If you check eBay from time to time -you will notice more and more of these showing up.

Just look for the tale-tale valve covers. This engine looked too low of mileage to have undergone a performance swap. The residual oil looks like it was either changed very frequently -or was the original oil -but just extremely low miles. Only the piston tops and rings will tell me approximately how many miles it has.

With the newfangled disty setup -I am thinking either a late model Exedos or Capella. The Exedos was normally a curved neck if I am correct because it was the JDM equivalent of the US Millenia. However -the Capella was the JDM equivalent of the 626 and could likely have had the long neck. It was produced through 2002.

P.S. I just looked on ebay and there are two more engines exactly like it from a different seller than the one I bought mine from. So I don't think it is an extremely rare occurrence.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 1st, 2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:56 AM   #31
dammitcam
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
check out the disty cap on this one

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I found one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-93-97-Ma...NWlUqN&vxp=mtr

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

and another one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-93-97-Ma...dWlYSL&vxp=mtr
1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck
, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp
dammitcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:12 AM   #32
97-gts
Search Impaired

KLZE Porsche -- if you need a 7 cap disty my ze came with one and I have no use for it at the moment...
97-gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:33 PM   #33
Zepticon
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
Yea -I saw those -but all of them are UK or other. I was kind of hoping that someone would know of a US based distribuor (who is dependable).

It isn't anything against foreign sellers -but just that shipping is more -and if you run into any kind of problem -it costs a lot more for either the seller or buyer to make it right. Someone always looses.
I dont think they would make it to the US, since there are no cars needing them there.

They are used on the KLZE and the almost identical KF engine (2.0l)
I am running a perfect fitting KF intake (actual part number is KF) on my ZE, and the cap is the same. In Europe they came on the Xedos 6, but also on several version in Japan and Australia.

But if you want to look it up, the OEM part numbers are: Cap (KF0118V00) and Cap Gasket (KF0118V57) http://mazdaepc.com/parts/XEDOS-6/AECA02/E2/1820A/

Or from other sources:
1.331.146 (EPS)
8725 (BREMI)
9945K13019 (JAPANCARS)
ADM51429 (BLUE PRINT)
J5323019 (NIPPARTS)
K13019 (JAPANCARS)
XD363 (QUINTON HAZELL)

I suspect this part is excellent for anyone wanting to do a HEI mod, but want it looking nice and OEM.

Last edited by Zepticon; March 2nd, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Zepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM   #34
BlackProbe
Supercharged Member

I have one of those motors..It also have 10:1 compression also!!!

BlackProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:18 PM   #35
BlackProbe
Supercharged Member

the first one a had came with a curve neck..the second (current motor)came out of a 1999 626,so am not sure what manifold it came with..someone swap this motor in the 626..It still had the Chinese writing sticker ,on the valve cover.this is why i said the the jdm millenia made more than 170hp,IMO

BlackProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #36
Eunos30x
Search Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by njintau_fsd View Post
Do you know what year car that engine came from? It seems strange to me that the late model ZE's weren't switched over to coil pack like the G4's here given how shitty the distys for our cars are plus coil packs are superior to distys anyway. Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't it make sense for a late model KLZE to run coil packs?

Also, why no crank sensor? Don't OBDII cars rely more on the crank sensors to maintain ignition timing?
7 nipple disty = external coil so it's not as shitty.
Old March 8th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #37
njintau_fsd
Juiced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos30x View Post
7 nipple disty = external coil so it's not as shitty.
Wow so we actually got a shittier version of the disty in the US? Man that bites! I wonder who thought an internal ignition coil would be a good idea in these distys.
njintau_fsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #38
dammitcam
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepticon View Post
i dont think they would make it to the us, since there are no cars needing them there.

They are used on the klze and the almost identical kf engine (2.0l)
i am running a perfect fitting kf intake (actual part number is kf) on my ze, and the cap is the same. In europe they came on the xedos 6, but also on several version in japan and australia.

But if you want to look it up, the oem part numbers are: Cap (kf0118v00) and cap gasket (kf0118v57) http://mazdaepc.com/parts/xedos-6/aeca02/e2/1820a/

or from other sources:
1.331.146 (eps)
8725 (bremi)
9945k13019 (japancars)
adm51429 (blue print)
j5323019 (nipparts)
k13019 (japancars)
xd363 (quinton hazell)

i suspect this part is excellent for anyone wanting to do a hei mod, but want it looking nice and oem.
according to the part number for the cap (from mazda) it is a klze however no dealer in the us has one
1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck
, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp
dammitcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:20 PM   #39
nocomply540

Any chance you pulled the oil pan off? I'm wondering what crank it has in it?
nocomply540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #40
nocomply540

I'm wondering if it has HLAs or SLAs and if it has the lighter G4 crank. I'm getting ready to swap my 2001 626 and I'm really trying to retain the SLAs and light weight crank.
nocomply540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:33 PM   #41
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomply540 View Post
I'm wondering if it has HLAs or SLAs and if it has the lighter G4 crank. I'm getting ready to swap my 2001 626 and I'm really trying to retain the SLAs and light weight crank.
It has HLAs. I haven't been able to check the crank because I can't put it up on the stand at the moment.

Old April 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #42
MonoxideChild
POC Mod

Quote:
Notice the KLG4 Style valve covers:
http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-001.jpg
KLDE's also used the same valve cover. My 97 626 came from the factory with the same one. As did the 97 Millenia's. Basically all KL's from 97 and newer got the front breather deleted. Even the 97 PGT's got a Ford labeled one without the front breather.

~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~
MonoxideChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #43
whoohaaxl

Bit of an oddball, but with that level of cleanliness, Id be happy too. Don't be surprised if we see a lot more of these popping up...All of the earlier ZE stock of cruddy sludgy engines has probably expired and were getting the clean late model stuff now. Agreed that the Millenia ZE makes more than 170hp....185hp is more like it, even with DE heads.
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #44
aroy_dii
Donating Member

Quote:
I didn't get around to breaking down the pallet last night because for one I have a hand that has gone bad on me and for two -I was plagued with family hardships yesterday. I hope to get it inspected before the end of the weekend.
Sorry, I'm joining this thread a little late. I hope that everything is going alright for you now and over the past few months.

Quote:
There are too many of them showing up for sale for it to be that possibility. If you check eBay from time to time -you will notice more and more of these showing up.
P.S. I just looked on ebay and there are two more engines exactly like it from a different seller than the one I bought mine from. So I don't think it is an extremely rare occurrence.
LOL. I think the 15 people watching the same motor are in / have posted to this thread! I really wish I found this thread earlier, since I was so close-by one of these motors last month, but in the end I was not able to make it to the shop. Had I known, I would've definitely make a better effort.

The reason I am re-researching all of this is I am now in the market for a KLZE for a swap, but I really need help. I am willing to provide the financial backing for this research and investigation, but ultimately I will need help with the installation. If someone within 100-150 miles (of Houston) can help inspect and install one of this "new" engines, I am willing to pay for it.
aroy_dii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #45
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroy_dii View Post
Sorry, I'm joining this thread a little late. I hope that everything is going alright for you now and over the past few months.

LOL. I think the 15 people watching the same motor are in / have posted to this thread! I really wish I found this thread earlier, since I was so close-by one of these motors last month, but in the end I was not able to make it to the shop. Had I known, I would've definitely make a better effort.

The reason I am re-researching all of this is I am now in the market for a KLZE for a swap, but I really need help. I am willing to provide the financial backing for this research and investigation, but ultimately I will need help with the installation. If someone within 100-150 miles (of Houston) can help inspect and install one of this "new" engines, I am willing to pay for it.
I believe there is a KLZE importer somewhere down near where you are that will install. I would check into that.

P.S. a little more on this engine is that -it is basically a KLG4/KLZE hybrid. It has the KLG4 heads and KLG4 cast iron crank. It also has the odd style KLZE pistons with raised center (rather than dished) that I think IPP sells. I am not thrilled about the cast iron crank -but it will be for a daily driver and so I am going to just live with it. As far as the pistons go -I would imagine that this makes it even more critical to use the shorter nose spark plugs that are recommended for KLZEs.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 18th, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old July 19th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #46
hppwdn
Golden Egg Purveyor

I got one of these motors with the crank sensor placeholder many many years ago. Couldn't say how long, I kept the little placeholder in my desk for years. If I had to guess I would say I got it close to ten years ago now considering I haven't had a KL car for over 5 years.

($100 junkyard KLG4)
, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links:

As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
hppwdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #47
RigsPGT
Donating Member

I'm surprised Andy is still around

Funny I stopped by as I just sold my last PGT memory I had since 02 (KLZE manifold) and was wondering what new improvements or finds have happened since then. Happy to see guys still sporting PGTs!
RigsPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #48
aroy_dii
Donating Member

Quote:
P.S. a little more on this engine is that -it is basically a KLG4/KLZE hybrid. It has the KLG4 heads and KLG4 cast iron crank. It also has the odd style KLZE pistons with raised center (rather than dished) that I think IPP sells. I am not thrilled about the cast iron crank -but it will be for a daily driver and so I am going to just live with it. As far as the pistons go -I would imagine that this makes it even more critical to use the shorter nose spark plugs that are recommended for KLZEs.
I can't believe another year has blown by! But I've finally pulled the trigger and bought a KLZE off ebay. (The seller is out of Maryland.) Took delivery on Monday afternoon, and checked a few "easy" things: straight neck (duh), JE50 VAF, KL31-1A1 on the front head, at least one KL31 cam (in the front), BKR-6E plugs. Honestly, I'm now just taking baby steps through all the how-to KLZE swap threads. So I bet this'll take another year before I get the damn thing installed.

Anyway I started a new thread with pics (link to be added soon), and it'll be updated reallllly slowly, since I'm not anticipating much progress day to day. I'm pretty sure once I get most of the easy maintenance done on the engine, I will have to get help the rest of the way. Anybody who's read this far, thanks and please click the link. Let me know your thoughts on the engine.