should i shave down the stock flywheel, or an mx3 flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i shave down the stock flywheel, or an mx3 flywheel

im gonna replace my clutch within the next week or so and when i do i wanna make my flywheel lighter. i either want to shave down the stock flywheel, or get an mx3 flywheel and shave that down. how light can i get either of them? how much will it cost to shave them down? what would people suggest that i do?

Depends on price. I just got an MX-3 one... Why? because it was free. :smile:
    ~SonicRacing~
    PT member #24
    1993 Probe GT -ZE (for sale, $2k)
    1987 RX-7 Turbo II (for sale, $2k)
    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege (for sale, $22k)

Comment

You should go down to about 13/14 lbs. If you're going to pay to lighten it anyway, just stick with stock. It'll be cheaper and easier.

Comment

On Wednesday October 3, 2001 11:11 PM, TheProbeKid wrote:
        It'll be cheaper and easier.
        Did you not read my post! :razz:

~SonicRacing~
        PT member #24
        1993 Probe GT -ZE (for sale, $2k)
        1987 RX-7 Turbo II (for sale, $2k)
        2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege (for sale, $22k)

Comment

On Friday October 5, 2001 12:18 AM, RYGT wrote:
          On Wednesday October 3, 2001 11:11 PM, TheProbeKid wrote:
          It'll be cheaper and easier.
          Did you not read my post! :razz:

Well... I try not to, but it doesn't always work.

:razz:

Comment

How would it be cheaper and easier? The cost for lightening a flywheel is derrived by the ammount of machining time it will take a particular shop to machine the flywheel to the desired weight. Obviously, if you are going lighter, you are removing more material, you are requiring more machining time and costing more money. Considering I got my MX3 for $40 shipped.... Im pretty sure thats less than the nearly doubling the cost of machining for lightening the stock flywheel to the same weight.

As most people will find out. Its hard to find a shop w/ the required tools to actually hold the flywheel and cut ours. They are a stepped design which makes it more difficult.

I've been there, done that so I know... btw... I did my research in 5 different states, so don't say its just my area.

RI, MA, CT, NY and OH

=)

Walter
            SlackPOC

Comment

Working...
            X