Help Kill Switch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Kill Switch!

ok so i did the battery reloac.. kit on my car. i when to hook up the kill switch and this is where im at. i took the red wire that is going from the front of the car ( off the starter ) to the battery i hooked that up to the switch. then i made a wire go from the switch to the +side of the battery. now the switch is working but when i unhook the alt from the eninge bay and flip the switch it doesnt cut off its still running. i didnt run the alt to the switch yet im trying to by pass that for tonight being that im very short on time here. im trying to trick the tech at the track like everyone else does. but its not working what do i need to do to by pass this problem for now.
    94 Probe V6 Turboed ZE 10psi 334.8 Hp & 313 Tq
    60" - Unknown ( Best Unknown )
    1/8 - Unknown
    1/4 - Unknown
    RaceWeight 2658 www.myspace.com/badassprobe

Originally posted by BadassPr0be
    ...when i unhook the alt from the eninge bay...
    How did you accomplish this?
    KevinD
    1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

The kill switch should cut off the ground line, not the + side. Also, a kill switch should cut an ignition signal line, not the alt. line. (so when you cut off the battery, it doesn't keep running off of the alt.) You have it hooked up in a dangerous way.

I've hooked up piles of kill switches for spec miatas (SM), showroom stock miatas (SSM), and spec rx7s (SRX7). Kill the ground wire, and kill the ignition signal line. Do not send a line that carries a lot of current through it, or it might end up going through you first. You should not try to trick the tech for something like a safety item. (This is why they make you drill small holes in roll cages, to make sure it's the right thickness)

-Chris
      Last edited by easyBob; June 22, 2007, 02:13 PM.
      "The ultimate result of shielding man from the effects of folly is to people the world with fools."
      John Maynard Keynes must die

Comment

what set of wires should be used?

Comment

I used this how-to 3 years ago...car still has this set-up:
          http://www.foureyedpride.com/caprirs...stallation.htm
          2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
          2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Originally posted by easyBob
            The kill switch should cut off the ground line, not the + side. Also, a kill switch should cut an ignition signal line, not the alt. line. (so when you cut off the battery, it doesn't keep running off of the alt.) You have it hooked up in a dangerous way.

-Chris
            I was going to say this as well, but the NHRA rules stated in the link below say that it has to be on the pos side. It would be really easy on the ground side... I'm not sure why the rule is written that way.

In any case, the way the stock battery wiring works, it has 1 cable that goes to the starter, and another that goes to the fuse box from the battery. The alternator charge goes to the fuse box and to the battery that way. So, my question would be, where did you run the wire that goes from the fuse box to? Because the charge wire from the alternator needs to be on the battery side of the cutoff switch, otherwise it will continue to charge (and the car will continue to run) even if you disconnect the B+ with the cutoff switch.
            Last edited by ouch1011; June 23, 2007, 06:12 PM.
            Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
            06 Legacy GT
            98 Legacy GT

Comment

BTW, my car does indeed die when the switch is turned.
              2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
              2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Working...
              X