Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Freaking Rats! Kill the little bastages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Freaking Rats! Kill the little bastages!

I have been having a little bit of a problem getting the freshly re-built red Probe to run well in the past month and have been using some starting fluid to get her going on cooler mornings. So I assumed that I needed to change the fuel filter because I didn't do it when I rebuilt the engine. But this is what I found everywhere in the engine bay:

I haven't had time to tear everything apart to evaluate the total damage and it will have to wait until the weekend. Damn little vermin. If I catch one of them in a glue trap -I am going to burn him one piece at a time and hope that all of his furry little friends are watching.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Squirrels, chip monks, or mice? All are vermin when the get in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonn View Post
      Squirrels, chip monks, or mice? All are vermin when the get in the car.
      It was either mice or chipmunks. The teeth marks were too small to be a squirrel. And squirrels also leave too much mess when they get under a hood. They stash nuts and straw everywhere.

I didn't even notice the damage at first because I guess I am getting slow in my old age. I was opening the hood every morning and spraying starting fluid in there and never noticed until I started to replace the filter today during lunch. After this -I just said FU*# it and decided to wait until the weekend to go through everything extremely thoroughly. It is supposed to be the one I fixed for my wife to drive and now -it could catch on fire due to damaged wiring. So my upcoming weekend is all spent now.

They chewed up spark plug wires, vacuum hoses, wire harnesses, plastic lower engine bay valences, and probably fuel lines too. I didn't even take out the air cleaner to see what havoc lay beneath!
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
        It was either mice or chipmunks. The teeth marks were too small to be a squirrel. And squirrels also leave too much mess when they get under a hood. They stash nuts and straw everywhere.

I didn't even notice the damage at first because I guess I am getting slow in my old age. I was opening the hood every morning and spraying starting fluid in there and never noticed until I started to replace the filter today during lunch. After this -I just said FU*# it and decided to wait until the weekend to go through everything extremely thoroughly. It is supposed to be the one I fixed for my wife to drive and now -it could catch on fire due to damaged wiring. So my upcoming weekend is all spent now.

They chewed up spark plug wires, vacuum hoses, wire harnesses, plastic lower engine bay valences, and probably fuel lines too. I didn't even take out the air cleaner to see what havoc lay beneath!
        P.S. I just wanted to post this for 1) to vent 2) to warn others in the South to watch out for this kind of thing. Here in B-ham -we have been plagued with small vermin this year because of the change in weather. Snakes have been a very rare sight this year and so -thus we are plagued with the little rats.

Our front lawn saw mayhem earlier with a serious infestation of moles. Then we fought a battle with the ground squirrels eating up flower bulbs that my wife had spend a lot of money on and planted. And now we are plagued with mice. They are into everything -much like above. I can't even keep enough glue traps placed out to cut them down to reasonable numbers.

It appears that they have acquired a taste for Ford Probes. So keep an eye out for em!

P.S. P.S. We came up with a rather unique method of eradicating the moles. I have a night vision security system (that is actually more of entertainment for us for night wildlife viewing) and we have a fox that was visiting our yard nightly for mole hunting. I decided one day to make it much easier for him/her. I waited until late in the afternoon and then mowed the grass all the way to the ground. That night we watched as the fox came and cleaned house and left and then came back again over and over several times. It was glorious revenge!
        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 10, 2013, 04:22 AM.
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

That night we watched as the fox came and cleaned house....It was glorious revenge!
          Haha, thats great. Bet that was fun, Thank you nature
          96 PGT & 97 Prizobe put down in their prime, 96 PGT with minor bolt-ons :SOLD & MISSED:
          95 PGT-ZE with more bolt-ons :SOLD for rwd fun:
          71 Mach1 Mustang w/a 400 its Aliiiiiiiive!
          02 allroad 2.7TT w/ 60k #because bags, Porsche brakes, Stg I Tune & Exhaust...just getting started

Comment

That night we watched as the fox came and cleaned house and left and then came back again over and over several times. It was glorious revenge!
            Hahaha nice! That must have been fun to watch!

Dang man that's insane, I don't think I've ever had this happen to me. Guess I'll have to check my PGT since its just been sitting in my driveway for 2+ years now.

Comment

It s a regular occurrence over here, especially on anything thats since for a short while. I have spent hours and hours apiece on customers motorcycles and ATVs going over and repairing rodent damage to the harnesses. I hate rodents with a passion.
              Jim K.
              :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

No PooP? I usually blame it on rats when I see the Poo
                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

maybe you need a coolant leak, they must like anti freeze
                  94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

^ I agree, throw out some nuts in a bowl soaked in some antifreeze. That might help thin the herd a litttlllle

Comment

No offense but I find it slightly amusing that you rebuilt the entire engine but didn't change the fuel filter lol?

Comment

Originally posted by PGTAL View Post
                        No offense but I find it slightly amusing that you rebuilt the entire engine but didn't change the fuel filter lol?
                        The car only had 110k on it and the filters usually last a bit longer. My other red probe had nearly half a million miles on it with only one fuel filter change.
                        Restoration of a legend

Comment

damn rats, mice and all those little bastards
                          it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

damn rats chewed the wires to the fuel pump on one of mine. right above the tank.

Comment

I would be livid pissed if this happened to me

Comment

Working...
                              X