Advance timing by retarding timing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance timing by retarding timing?!

I need to advance my timing but would like to vary the timing advance at various points along the curve. Now I know what you're going to say. Apex-I ITC. I know, but I'm on a budget and don't want to spend that much just for timing advance.

I've looked at other options and I think I've found a solution. MSD offers ignition timing controls but they only retard timing for boosted vehicles needing timing retard at various points during a run. But I don't need timing retard, I need timing advance.

An MSD ignition controller is about half the price of the Apex-I ITC which makes it alot more affordable.

Here's my theory. Just say I crank my distributer and advance timing 10o and set each pot at 10o timing retard. The whole thing should be at stock timing position. Then to advance timing at any particular rpm, I reduce the amount of retard thus allowing the timing to advance.

Have I gone mad, or does this make sense to anyone else? Input please.

So let me get this straight. You want to bump the timing with the distributor 10deg so in total you will be 20deg advanced? Then with the ignition controler you will retard it 10deg so you will be at 10deg advanced then while you do a run you reduce your retard, while infact you are actually advancing it past 10deg.

Sounds good :grin:

...but why would you want to advance the timing anyways? Wouldn't the motor run crappy? I could understand in a carb motor not FI.
    I don't post here anymore.

Comment

:lost:

Remember, regardless what the Disty and cams, etc., are doing...the ecu controls timing. You can advance timing for a little while but after some time (day or so? if that?) the ecu will retard it back to within its programming.....

Comment

Yes, the basic idea is to advance timing accross the rpm band, and then retard it at various points. Thus advancing timing at multiple spots, just like the Apex-I ITC.

I'm running a ZE with the 03 computer so I'm not seeing the full potential of the motor. I've already bumped fuel but wish to bump timing, just like the ZE computer. TekGuy saw 10hp at the wheels with both fuel and timing advance on his ZE. I've already seen 5hp from fuel alone.

Obnox and Ed both confirmed that OBDI computers do not overide advanced timing like OBDII computers so this should work on my 93.

Comment

Working...
        X