No announcement yet.

Protege KLZE Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah it is nice that my g/f likes to try and do things like that. It was her first pass I have a video of it happening on my phone ill upload later and link to it, was kinda funny because she got off the line by like 10ft and then just rolled.

Picture of said broken axle
    2000 Mazda Protege ES 1.8l >> 2.5l KLZE
    KLZE Straight Neck, CAI, Pacesetter Headers
    KL36 ECU, JE50 VAF, AFPR @ 40psi, Shaved Flywheel

Comment

Originally posted by Joost27 View Post
      As for the g/f i kept her around lol i cant completely blame her, she didnt even launch, it just gripped the right way and snapped it.
      Oh God, she snapped it?! That had to be ..... Oh, wait....you're talking about the axle. Ok...
      95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
      93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
      89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
      04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
      Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

Hahahaha.
        Daily slut: 02 WRX: stage too this and that.. 255awhp/265awtq... Old numbers.. New Hybrid 257 is alive and strong!
        Toy: 95 Camero: LS3. T56. 9". and a little NAAAAWWWS.

Comment

Originally posted by TRWeiss1 View Post
          Oh God, she snapped it?! That had to be ..... Oh, wait....you're talking about the axle. Ok...
          Movie Teeth anyone?
          93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
          Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
          1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

Originally posted by artsvetkov View Post
            Movie Teeth anyone?
            95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
            Built, Not Bought.
            No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

Yeah that shit was dumb, even if you are drunk, just skip to the last 10 min of the movie.
              93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
              Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
              1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

there is/was a msp with a kl for sale here, def'n been done in 3gens. nice clean swap and car though..love it! i've always wanted one of these swapped cars, personally i would've went for the numericaly higher pgt tranny though.
                93gt 230k dd.
                1993 probe gt
                96 pgt 135k dd
                http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...100_3918-1.jpg

Comment

Fair enough about the tranny, but the deal i got on the mx6 trans and the fact that junkyards locally wanted 400+ for a probe gt trans was not worth the slightly better gearing.

Also, I am not claiming to be the first 3rd gen, just that i hadn't seen any 3rd gens on club protege with a v6, and definitely none that used a mx3 gs cross member and passenger mount. I got the idea from some canadian protege guys who set up a very basic and vague how-to/whats needed. My swap thread on Mazdas247 is entirely complete and throughout the whole thread discusses basically anything anyone would need to train a monkey to do the swap now.

I am however, one of the first to swap in a straight neck into a 3rd gen, the easy route is the curved neck obviously, and the only other "straight neck" i have seen in a 3rd gen has had the neck shortened a couple inches and welded back together, which i cant see as being too great. I just eliminated the "smooth throttle" mechanism on the TB and went to a traditional style found on a 1.8l/2.0l protege. Result: clears great on the Master cylinder and retained the true straight neck.

Comment

Excellent car

Nicely put together.
                    '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                    '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

I have noticed that a lot of signatures here include the Pheno spacers, and larger TB. Couple questions, who here does boring for the TB? and is there a considerable difference with the spacers. I looked on Outlaw engineering and see their claim. I however went through the dyno thread on here and some motors without the spacers and similar mods had the same or more power. And I know its not fair to compare motor to motor since every motor is different due to wear, bolt ons, sensors, etc... so anyone that has them, did you notice a big change on your own motor?

Also, saw the colt cams bulk buy thread. Would it be worth while to find a set of DE cams locally and send them in to get the N/A Spec regrind?

Comment

Pheno spacers aren't really goin to add power, they just form a bit of insulation to slow heat soak. It is still going to happen, just not as fast. Greg does tb boring (search "greg+ 65mm" and you should find info), not sure if he's still a vendor or even still doing it. And yes, get some colt cams, you'll love them.
                        Last edited by pgtfreak; December 3, 2010, 01:53 PM.
                        '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

So, since I cant use the Tb pheno spacer, and heat soak still occurs which i figured it would, I am just going to save my money. I am sure its a great option going from DE Heads to ZE manifold and being able to make a smooth transition with modding the spacer.

Thanks for the info on the TB will be looking into it.

Comment

I guess phenos could technically add some immeasurable power, lower in the powerband, since they do mildly increase the runner length, and plenum volume (tb spacer).
                            Though, I wouldn't say they are a must have mod. More like a "what else can I throw on my car" mod.
                            Last edited by pgtfreak; December 3, 2010, 02:34 PM.
                            '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

yeah I think ill be passing on them for now, not concerned with minimal gains, the swap itself is enough of a gain over 1.8l to make the fun level over he car 200% better. Also just recently switched from KL55 ecu and KL02 vaf to the JE50vaf and kl36 ecu and the difference there was enough to make me even more happy about it.

Anyone else have input on the phenos?

Comment

Nice clean car, i like it alot.

Phenos might interfere with hood and strut bar clearance, so that might be another thing to check into.
                                2000 Honda Prelude H22, Vtec
                                - Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X