Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this Prusa prints 3D metal pieces?
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Unfortunately not. It can print "metallic" filament, but its not like printing actual metal. You can use it to print a positive to use in casting, but for the most part its just plastics.
      Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
      Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
      Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
      The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

• OK, It looked like you welded the printed part to a rod of some sort and so I assumed it was printing metal pieces. If that would have been the case for under $1000 I would have jumped all over it.
        Success is a measure of determination!
        Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
        $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
        Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

• And we've got updates...

So as I mentioned on the very first post of this build thread, this project has always been planned to take place in stages. Stage 1 was to paint the broad strokes while stage 2 would get into the details and serious power adders.

Turned out that stage 1 took quite a bit longer than expected and during that time my desire to continue sinking money into a fwd vehicle called a PROBE has come into question. Stage 1 has been a success is many ways, but I'm also left with a number of disappointments that really effect my enjoyment of the car. I'd always figured that at the end of the first half of the project, it would be so fun to drive I'd be chomping at the bit to start on the latter half.

Let's dig a little deeper into these bothersome issues, as I feel like often times build threads really focus in on successes without addressing the trials and tribulations:
          • A fully gutted car is not ever going to be comfortable to drive... it's loud, you hear every pebble kicked up by the tires, feel every crack in the road, squeeks galore, etc.
          • There's an ever present exhaust smell leaking into the cabin, that despite my mediocre attempts to prevent, continues unabated.
          • The exterior of the car, which was once beautiful, has now aged quite a bit... nothing that can't be fixed, but will certainly require many hours of attention.
          • As mentioned, the performance is decent, but not what I was expecting at this stage of the game. This motor is shot.
          • Are there other issues affecting performance that I'm not even aware of? There have been small inconsistencies with the MS from day 1 that have never been solved to my satisfaction. Some of these I've gone over 5 or 6 times with results that are consistent, but still leave me questioning.
          • Upon inspection recently, I realized the KLZE motor sitting in my garage all these years has issues with the block. This was supposed to be my easy fix to the lack of performance!

So the question now presented itself, where do I go next? I have a car that I'm vaguely unhappy with/at least not excited about, no easy/cheap way to address the lackluster power output, a platform that's less than ideal in the end, and other issues that will certainly cost time and money to fix in a project that I'm dubious about.

After a non-trivial amount of consideration and consternation, a choice was made... scroll down to realize the car's fate.

And here's what's in that cellophane wrapped package...

Came with these as well

Started work on these:

To all be topped off with these things I already had:

Ferrea titanium valvetrain and SS valves

Colt race cams

I think my decision was clear.

Ended up buying Chris Young's (StreetThisMX6) built but unused motor. The conclusion I came to was that no matter what, I wanted to continue with the KL, as my first love. And that a built KL could be swapped into basically anything if/when I decide that I no longer want to continue with the PGT... most likely an NA/NB Miata or FD RX7.

Onward and upward with the newly defined Stage 1.5!
          Last edited by proboner; June 28, 2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Oh also! Decided to take an exhaust video as I will be updating the exhaust for the millionth time, in the near future.

Currently consists of: Bosal headers, custom 2x2" to 1x2.5" downpipe, 2.5" electric exhaust cutout, 2.25" Walker 17911 Economy Pro-Fit muffler, 2.5" turn down
            PHP Code:
            https://youtu.be/4imG7j-6ANA 
            per usual, PT wont directly link a video so I had to wrap it with php tags to make it show up.

Comment

• Very nice purchase! Love the engine build. That is exactly what I would like to do. Why are you changing the exhaust? Sounds great
              97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

• Thanks. As mentioned, the fumes in the car are driving me crazy. There are a few things going on I suspect:
                • System ends right behind the front seats
                • Hard mounting the piping to the underbody doesn't allow it to move with the engine and is destroying the flex pipe
                • There are so many pieces of piping welded in so many different places at this point, due to the number of different mufflers I've tried, there's bound to be leaks

Plan is to buy Trubendz 2.5" cat back piping for $145 to bring the exhaust all the way back to the rear bumper and fix as many under body leaks as possible. I'm also going to be installing v-bands at the header to downpipe junctions and a new flex pipe to replace the current one that's probably leaking. While hanging the exhaust I'm going to put stock style rubber hangers back in. Lastly I'm always on the lookout for something unique! I may go back to the g35 muffler setup I had on the car ~10 years ago, which is still the favorite exhaust I've had on a PGT. I'm also contemplating a transversely mounted Camaro muffler and dual straight thru magnaflow style mufflers.

In the short term, I'll probably just use the current Walker muffler placed in the rear of the car.

Comment

• I did read your post about the exhaust fumes, I don't blame you for wanting to reroute it to the back of the with the rubber hangers, I know your car is gutted but that should do something for the drone too, anyways keep up with the solid work,I always keep an eye out for your build thread, especially now with your motor build as this is something that interests me very much. I have the motor out but unfortunately haven't looked at it this year
                  97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

• Originally posted by proboner View Post
                    my desire to continue sinking money into a fwd vehicle called a PROBE has come into question.

Totally agree I came to that conclusion long time ago

Is it really worth it

Comment

• Just a glutton for punishment I guess!

New parts came in today:

Driver and passenger poly motor mounts. Hoping to continue tightening this motor down.

Bigger update would be that I've gotten 60 days notice to move out of my house, which means this motor has been put on the fast track! Will be ordering all the rest of the parts I need over the next day or two to get this thing in the car and all my extra parts consolidated by September!

More to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by P1P View Post

Totally agree I came to that conclusion long time ago

Is it really worth it

had to run out so I never finished this comment

Is it worth it no but if you want to be different then thats another way you can look at it

think about it you pull up at a car meet or a car show how likely would you see another car that look like yours ( not likely right )

the problem I see with most Probe owners is you expect more out of this platform then it is able to give you back and still be reliable

probner you have put alot of hard work, time and money into this build and you have came along way with it, so keep positive thoughts and finish what you started.
                        Last edited by P1P; July 8, 2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X