Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover

While washing my Mustang for the very first time after buying it in June, something stuck to the sponge and caused this scratch:

It was much worse than what the camera picked up. Saying that I was disguested with myself would have been an understatement. I tried Scratch Out, but it didn't help. So, it was looking like a trip to a bodyshop was my only hope.

Fast forward to August 31. I had not done anything to fix the scratch over the past two months. While looking through Walmart's automotive section, I found Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover. Based on my previous experience with Scratch Out, I was skeptical. But, I figured that there was nothing to lose except for the cost of the product if it didn't work since I was planning on getting a shop to fix it originally.

Inside the box is two tubes, two strips of sandpaper, two polishing cloths, and the instructions.

The instruction sheet has a chart that helps the user determine the severity of the scratch. If the scratch is deep enough, the basecoat must be touched up followed by the clearcoat, then a wetsanding with the provided strips must be done before going further.

Since the scratch I intended to repair was less severe, I was able to skip the touchup and wetsanding.

Before starting, I made sure to wash and dry the entire vehicle to minimize chances of further damage.

Then I applied some of the compound from Tube 1 directly to the scratch. Notice how large the scratch was.

Next, I buffed the area with one of the polishing cloths at a 45 degree angle to the scratch. This was done for at least the recommended two minutes with a considerable amount of pressure.

If the scratch is still visible, reapply more compound and buff again until the scratch is gone.

After I was satisfied, I wiped the area with a damp rag to remove any residual compound, then dried the area.

Now apply some compound from Tube 2 to the second cloth and buff the area in a circular motion just as you would with wax until the area shines.

Although not in the instructions, I used a dry soft rag to buff the area to finish the repair.

Here are some photos of the end result:

The scratch is gone completely and there are no remaining traces of the scratch as there was with the Scratch Out. I couldn't be more impressed with Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover. It was around $20, but that was a small price to pay compared to what a shop would charge.

Quixx made a believer out of this skeptic.
    Jim
    1989 Probe GT
    2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT): Red Candy Metallic
    2014 Focus S (MTX): Sterling Grey daily

Wow...looks good! I might have to try this..
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

wow, that seriously is amazing for typical overthecounter scratch remover. Definitely will get me to try it
      93 silver PGT-T----> Turbo parted. Car sold as of 5/4/12

2009 Mazdaspeed3 GT--> Metro grey metallic, SRI, short shift plate.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Damn ! I just came home from Walmart !

Comment

Ill keep this stuff in mind thanks for the info!
            1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
            http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
            1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
            http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Working...
            X