No announcement yet.

Project Beautiful Beast work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought some new interim wheels/tires. The 17x9 245/45/17's I had on there weighed 50lbs a piece and are larger than stock. In my apparently ever enduring quest to get this thing as light as possible, I bought some Kosei K4R's in 17x7 with very fresh Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires in 225/45/17 yesterday for $400 that come in at 38lbs each, for a total unsprung weight savings of around 50lbs. Pretty incredible considering those Dunlops weigh 25lbs themselves, which put the Kosei's in around 13-14lbs!

Unfortunately theyre 7" wide and +50 offset, so they look absolutely horrendous, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a more appropriate set to switch to... just wanted something I could take to the scale, dyno, and track that would be more performance oriented. Hoping to find myself a 17x8 +32 wheel that weighs under 16lbs and throw a ~22lb 245/40/17 tire on there for the best of all worlds.
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

• Nice buy on the wheels and tires, the zII's are a great tire.

In the future hunt for light wheels in more appropriate specs:

The Kosei K8r, Advanti storm s1, Konig hypergram and ultraform, are all flow formed, 15-17lbs a piece, cheaper than enkei rpf1's (while just as strong) and available in 17x8 with offsets ranging from +30 to +35.

To shop the Advanti's and Kosei's I was able to hack tireracks search engine by finding the 03 mustang GT and the lexus sc300 both used those specs.
      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• haha I actually ended up doing this yesterday... used the 1999 Mustang GT. It's SUPER annoying that they don't just let you search by wheel size. I plan on selling all the wheels I have and get the Kosei K8R with some 235/40/17's for ~$800 total. 17x8 +35 along with a 8mm spacers all around will get me in a good place.

Thanks for the info on the Advanti and Konig's as well. Ive been trying to find them all used on Craigslist to keep prices down, but I think TireRack may end up being where i go.
        Last edited by proboner; August 15, 2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• No problem, I did this over the winter, ended up with the hypergrams, (got a good deal through discount tire, special order while they were running a promotion)

Our cars really suck for wheel/tire fitment in the rear. The trailing arm really hinders space and not many cheap lightweight wheels are made in the specs we need.
          1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
          1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
          2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Got her weighed at the cat scale today and she came in at 2220...

Comment

• Got a new update for those of you left on here... finally got my nitrous back in! It's not pretty, but it's surely functional. Decided I would try my hardest not to spend much more money of this project, so trying to do it the clean way was out the window.

Initially wanted to control the fuel piece with the MS, but decided to make it easy on myself and just use the old fuel solenoid I had. Due to the position of the intake, and the refusal to buy new lines, the solenoids had to be relocated to the old battery tray area. Looks like crap, but oh well. On to the pics

The "on" switch, which is tripped by the throttle linkage when it goes WOT

And finally, some detail on the new duties of the center console switches

UGH! And after wiring this whole thing up, doing this writeup, and captioning that picture, I realize I wanted to use the 3rd red switch as the nitrous arm! Damn it!

Comment

• Originally posted by proboner View Post

https://imgur.com/H1wCOts
                Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
                STEVE B
                1993 Probe GT
                2016 Mustang

Comment

• Looking good! What size shot are you planning on using?
                  Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
                  Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
                  Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

• Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
                    haha I knew you'd notice that!

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post
                    Looking good! What size shot are you planning on using?
                    75 shot... if I can ever get my bottle refilled! Called around and everyone seems to be out of nitrous and it sounds like it's going to be $10+/lb once they get it in!

Comment

Called around and everyone seems to be out of nitrous and it sounds like it's going to be $10+/lb once they get it in!

thats high

dynolab here in Atlanta only charges $4 a pound

Comment

haha I knew you'd notice that!
                        That's why we share, to keep the ideas and motivation flowing...
                        Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
                        STEVE B
                        1993 Probe GT
                        2016 Mustang

Comment

• Originally posted by P1P View Post
                          thats high

dynolab here in Atlanta only charges $4 a pound
                          Welcome to the Bay Area!

Comment

Welcome to the Bay Area!
                            Yea -everything is 10X overpriced over there from the Mexican border and extending all the way up to Fairbanks, Alaska.

I would have stayed over on the west coast (Oregon) if they pay I was getting -was commensurate to the cost of living. I moved to Alabama 16 years ago and went from $13 per hour to $20 per hour at the same type job -and from $500k 3 bedroom, 1800 sq ft home to $140K for the equivalent in Alabama.

It may not be the most perfect place to live in the US -but certainly more affordable than the West Coast.
                            Success is a measure of determination!
                            Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                            $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                            Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Had a fun little shits and giggles project that I worked on today that I actually accomplished relatively quickly with results that really aren't that bad. Back when I was in the thick of this project... lock before the ending was within sight, I had decided to foolishly spend some time looking for fender flares. I'd never seen a truly bolt-on looking set of flares, and I wanted to see if I could find a way to pull it off. In my search I ran into a set on craigslist and the kid selling them actually let me take them home to see how they'd look on the car. I mocked em up with tape and decided that, dang, this may actually work, and bought them.

As I set out on the project however, my better sense came over me and I realized that I had much more pressing issues to take care of first (how about getting the damn car running!?), and ended up putting it on the back burner. Now that things have come to kind of a lull, the flares popped back into my mind So this morning, with nothing better today I said **** it, lets give em a try.

The body is dinged up, there are holes in the front fenders and bumpers from my trial with the quick release fasteners, and my rear fender lips were complete bacon from a rolling mishap years ago. Basically, I had nothing to lose from going ahead and drilling right into this bitch.

So, I basically just eyed it up on the fender, decided where the end of the flare would be, drilled a hole, and just worked my way all the way to the other side of the flair. Not too shabby if you ask me!

And with a side of bacon

Extra crispy

Rear in place

Probably end up painting em today as its still pretty early in the day and I don't have much else on my plate. In term so fitment, this is currently with the 245/45/17 tires on 17x9 +22 rims. If you will recall, I purchased a set of Kosei's with a shit offset a bit back, but after I got the car weighed and was happy with the 2220# results, I decided that my weigh reduction fever had at least temporarily receded, and that I should find something more appropriate. On a side not I ended up selling them a couple weeks later for a $200 profit, so it's win/win!

Had been wanting to get 17x8 +35 Kosei K8R's wrapped in Nexen N Fera Sur4 225/45/17 Extreme Performance Summer tires, brand new from Tirerack for $1k shipped, but those would sit in a bit too much for the stock body, let alone this fender flared version. So now I'm officially on the lookout for a used set of Enkei RPF1 17x9.5 +22 wrapped 245/40/17's (preferably high performance) and adding a 8mm spacer. Wish me luck!

Comment

• Annnd I'm too quick for you guys. Already got em painted and took some more pictures.

Removed so you can see the basic area they cover

Painted and installed

Comment

Working...
                                X