Retarding Timing while spraying???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retarding Timing while spraying???

ok, before I really spray I need to ask a couple questions about timing retarding.

In the Zex book it says to retard the timing 4 deg, if you are running a 75 shot and I wanna start to run the 75 but my questions are and bare with me here, cause I know **** all about timing.

-what is the fatory spec timing on our cars?
    -If you retard your timing then are you not losing low end performance?
    -I read in another thread that you couldn't retard the timing on the PGT???
    -I was told by someone else that 2-2.5 is more than enough??
    -this proceedure is to prevent leaning out and detonation right?
    ONPOC.ca Administrator
    K-Series.ca Founder

1993 PGTZE, forever under construction...

As far as I know, you can't retard timing in a PGT. I believe you can buy an aftermarket ignition to do so however.

But with that said, you don't need to retard timing for a 75 shot. Just make sure plugs are gapped at .035 and you'll be good to go.
    Jeff
    My Old Probe
    2002 Black Mica Protege - MSP Conversion (Minus boost)

Comment

So I really can't retard the timing on this thing??? its a 93 if that makes any difference, so just gap all the plugs and I will be fine? you absolutly positive?

Why then on every other car do you have to retard timing for this kind of shot of N2O?

I am not trying to second guess you, I just want to get a full grasp of things....
      ONPOC.ca Administrator
      K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Yes you can retard the timing, have no clue how. But its really not needed
        WAGS

Comment

people are running close to a 100 shot without touching the timing, so don't worry about it. If you're that scared, then you can buy an MSD box that will retard the timing for you....expect to spend over $300 and a nightmare of jimmy rigging to make the thing work. I wouldn't worry about it though.
          www.probe-gt.com
          Minnesota Probe Owners Club
          15.443@90.44

Comment

ok just another quick question, what drawbacks if any come with gapping the plugs at 0.35 instead of the reccommended, this is obviously needed, but am I going to notice any drawbacks while off the bottle?

also if we cannot retard or advance timing then what does turning the disty do?
            ONPOC.ca Administrator
            K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Tweaked
              also if we cannot retard or advance timing then what does turning the disty do?
              nothing, the PCM will just revert it back to 10deg BTDC. You are not planning to start off with a 75hp right off the bat are you? Start off small shot. Are you running colder plugs?
              I don't post here anymore.

Comment

my plugs are Beru Silverstone, which I have been told by many people are just fine, but I dunno.

as for starting off with a smaller shot what is the difference between starting with a 55 and moving up to a 75 than just starting with a 75, I don't really see the point....maybe I'm wrong
                ONPOC.ca Administrator
                K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

you should run your first n02 run and then check your plugs out to try to detect any problems that might be happening...if everything looks good after a few runs then you are probably ok to step up to a higher shot...if you have no experience w/ n02, then why risk it? There's no rush, do it right...
                  95 LS SHOGUN,HS CAI, DTM exhst, Intraxx, Nology, 18" AXIS se7en wheels, Ur UDP, Shaved all, zex 50, purge, and the famous z28 custom hood scoop..
                  http://photos.yahoo.com/youdontknownothingaboutthis. <a href=http://www.janustg.com>Discount Business Cards, Flyers, Mailers, Website Design, Website Hosting</a>

Comment

as for starting off with a smaller shot what is the difference between starting with a 55 and moving up to a 75 than just starting with a 75, I don't really see the point....
                    The point is that you don't know what you are doing (no offense but it's true), and by not knowing what you are doing, things can and will go wrong... and things are more likely to go wrong when you are running a bigger shot of nitrous. That is how many engines get blown, and that's why a lot of idiots say nitrous isn't safe.
                    Jeff
                    My Old Probe
                    2002 Black Mica Protege - MSP Conversion (Minus boost)

Comment

ok I realize I am not an expert, but you don't have to call me an idiot....sheesh
                      ONPOC.ca Administrator
                      K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

A .035 gap will be fine for normal driving. It is even fine for emissions testing. A 75 shot does not require retarding the timing. Proof is not in a book, but rather the numerous probes running 75 without a problem.

You always start small. This will mean smaller disasters if one should occur.

Jeff meant that idiots that are at fault for blowing their motors, rather than because of the nitrous, is why it has a bad reputation.
                        2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
                        2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

sorry I was just jokin, I guess I shoulda put a smiley in there
                          ONPOC.ca Administrator
                          K-Series.ca Founder

Comment

Well man....I can tell you that you deff. nedd to start out with a 55 shot. Nitrous is a learning thing and you dont want to jump right in with a big shot. You have to tune your car and lots and lots of things can go wrong. You need to reshearch and slowly work your way up. Replacing a few little things is going to be alot better than you replacing your engine. But maybe you like that kind of stuff. Just be careful and take advice of fellow ptalkers that HAVE been using nitrous and DO know what they are talking about.
                            ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
                            No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
                            ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

ok just another quick question, what drawbacks if any come with gapping the plugs at 0.35 instead of the reccommended, this is obviously needed, but am I going to notice any drawbacks while off the bottle?

Yes, I lost about 4 mpg on fuel efficiency compared to the 0.044 gap I had prior to nitrous. Some of that may be due to the greater fuel use while spraying but still a smaller gap may burn less fuel under the same conditions.
                              1993 PGT ATX - some parts remaining

Comment

Working...
                              X