Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make a last run of the shafted kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I make a last run of the shafted kits?

The shafted kits have left a bad taste in my mouth, mainly because of the excessive cost and time to get everything right with them. I had to do a lot of revising, as people have noticed in the FI and bb thread, and the kit really is just about as good as it will get. I've already spent thousands over what I took in, to get everything right.

I talk with MAC1 one a lot, as he's put the most use on the kit. We've come up with a couple ideas that would perfect the kit; namely with having a sperate tensioner for the driven (supercharger) side of the transfershaft. The current system utilizes a mount that gets tensioned back by some bolts and does a decent job - but imho, I think it could be done better. The vibration and rod mouting issue has been resolved, a new shim, pulleys and rods were machined to correct this. So really, the bugs are worked out of it. When I think of it, it would be a waste to not produce more after I spent soo much time, energy and money into it. The flip side is seeing how much this has cost me in stress, headache, money and everything else in my life.. oi.

This is also the only SC kit that will fit a V6 MX3, and you wouldn't believe how much email I get from MX3 people - esp in europe - to produce another run of these kits.

So I'm not saying that I *will* produce another batch, but I am considering it. I'd need to sell at least 25 kits to make it worth the time and allow for a profit. (God forbid).

So.. what's your thoughts?
    '00 Contour SVT - Stock and Reliable
    '93 Probe GT - Currently Grounded.

update your email address y0

I guess the first thing would to see (once all the kits from the first BB is done) the reaction of drivers with the kits with transfer shafts. Then i guess would be to see how difficult it would be to reproduce more of this specific kit. If it is going to be as painful as the first time around, even if you get a profit this time around, is it really worth it? I know that a lot of people would be pleased with this. But my opinion would be that if you were going to go thru with it, since it is harder to do, to maybe put up the price a bit. It's your choice
    KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

For sure

I think you should continue. You have done an amazing job by even taking up the time and effort to make a supercharger kit that would work on our engines. I think that if you did just take it easy and made something that was basically flawless then you would be set....all you would be doing is making the same order over and over. There would be a big demand and you wouldn't be having recalls like you did before. I think it was the bugs in the system that caused all the stress time and money that in the end hurt you. But if you think about it if you didn't have those problems and you could get all the parts together for a kit that was straight forward, you'd be set.
      Just my 2 cents worth.

Keep up the awesome work

2.25" stainless exhaust, Headers, CAI, AWR mounts, B&M Short Throw, Jacobs Pro-street, Front/Rear Strut brace, clear corners, Colt 210/210, Interprep valve springs, Aasco flywheel, CM IIR clutch, ZE IM, phenos

Comment

Depending on the final price and the availiblity of a supercharger. I maybe down.
        GySgt (Select) Stacey O. Johnson, USMC
        My Toys- 2011 Silverado Z71 (Black Neck Ride ), 1995 PGT (Back Again )
        "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'd be down for one IF you did go through with it, which from reading various posts on the forums would be a huge undertaking for you. And since it is the ONLY kit for us at the most reasonable price.....
          Last edited by adjat84th; February 2, 2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

do it.
            '96 Probe GTZE MTX-sold
            '91 Probe LX MTX-sold

Comment

go for it, it might not sell out right away but nobody has money right away, im guessing by summer time it will pick up more when people want to start racing again.
              Last edited by ryanlavallee; February 9, 2006, 03:05 AM.
              92 GT RIP
              93 GT SOLD
              2000 Cougar

Comment

I'd be down. I decided to buy a truck instead of an STi, and the Saabaru is my DD and therefore not moddable. The Probe needs some more "ummph".

New toy: '06 Mazdaspeed 6
                Fun times: '04 CBR 600rr & '06 GSX-R750

Comment

Man your manifold kits first I dont want to have to wait till im dead to get one
                  ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Originally posted by KaedenKy
                    Man your manifold kits first I dont want to have to wait till im dead to get one
                    Naw, you'll get it long before death. Perhaps not before retirement though.

Comment

intested in the a/c kit, was going to do it myself, but decided to wait till yours come out. Also wondering when this kit is coming out, and roughly how much.
                      92 GT RIP
                      93 GT SOLD
                      2000 Cougar

Comment

damn it i was gonna buy a kit this summer guess i will have to find another way unless u continou , i say do it!

Comment

Manifold kits will be so sick, I do not see how people would even care about shafted kits.
                          ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

I would say no, for a couple of reason:

*the proven logistical/design problems, which are inherent in the design and not likely to go away or be cheaper the second time around, even with the proper attack plan

*second, this will take time away from your current developments, i.e. the a/c mount kit, and trying to split limited time into even more places end up turning into a lot of started projects, and not many finished ones, or at least not as finished as you'd like them to be.

The a/c location seems to be working fine. Forced induction takes a lot of sacrifice from the owner of the car, and if they feel that they need to keep the a/c, then maybe boost isn't for them. Nitrous is just as much fun, and a lot cheaper and more reliable.

But yeah, if I were you, I wouldn't go back to that mess.
                            90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                            93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                            97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                            90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac]
                              I would say no, for a couple of reason:

*the proven logistical/design problems, which are inherent in the design and not likely to go away or be cheaper the second time around, even with the proper attack plan

*second, this will take time away from your current developments, i.e. the a/c mount kit, and trying to split limited time into even more places end up turning into a lot of started projects, and not many finished ones, or at least not as finished as you'd like them to be.

The a/c location seems to be working fine. Forced induction takes a lot of sacrifice from the owner of the car, and if they feel that they need to keep the a/c, then maybe boost isn't for them. Nitrous is just as much fun, and a lot cheaper and more reliable.

But yeah, if I were you, I wouldn't go back to that mess.
                              I agree with you, and this is also my mind set. The whole shafted kit thing took away alot of my life and time, and i'm still bitter about it inside.. mess probably the nicest word we can think of for this.

The AC spot is best for those who don't mind lossing ac and want to intercool, and it's very simple for them to install and quick for me to produce. Those just wanting a good 7-9psi and keeping AC the IM-setup will be best. The IM setup also has water/alch injection setup for it, so it can charge cool the best actually - if people don't mind keeping aother jug of water under the hood. hehe.

Although, I have someone interested in purchasing my design on the shafted kits so that they can be replicated and sold on a larger scale. I'm doubtful that this will follow though, but eh, if it does, we'll see more of 'em. hheh

~Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X