Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got done with this a little while ago....and how you got it done in under 2 hours is beyond me...

My advice is Remove the down pipes from the exhaust.....It makes everything under the car soooo much easier, rather then trying to sqeeze your hands and ratchets in between them. At least thats my take on it, doesn't take that long to do. I'd also recommend having to people present to pull off and put on the tranny...It will help you live longer!

Honestly this isn't really as "hard" as i thought it was going to be...it was just very very very time consuming for a rookie like me.

Comment

this may sound whiney...(sp?) but if this is going to be in the archives i think someone should talk a little about resurfacing the flywheel yes or no ...

On the driverside axle question; how it is staying in there is by this tiny little retaining ring close to the end of the shaft inside the tranny. yours sounds like it is really expanded. when i took mine out it was IMPOSSIBLE (i hit it so hard that even with a block of wood i warped the threading area for the wheel hub nut) to get it back in. my haynes manual said to replace it, however of three different auto parts stores no one had any idea of where to get it except for with a new drive axle. i had to pull it off and with pliers and a small hammer rebend it to fit AS SNUGGLY AS POSSIBLE to the drive axle the it just went right in .... as far as pulling it out, alot of shimmying and hold your tounge right ... it will come out . i would be weary or the whole "punch out from the otherside" thing although not a bad last resort.

good luck

Comment

you just need the right tools. If you get the 4 foot long pry bar that a shop would use to pry it out you'd see why it's no problem. You just need the right tools and enough clearance and leverage. If you find yourself trying too hard, either you're not using the right tools or you're not doing it right.

Mike
        96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
        CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
        93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
        ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

Axles are best done with two people. Most of the new or reman. axles have a slightly heavier locking spring to help keep it in the tranny. For putting em back in, have one person pushing the axle in as hard as they can while the other persons hits the axle in with a hammer. The person pushing keeps the axle from springing back out each time it is hit.

Originally posted by DVM04
          I thought about that last night, just concerned about the diff rod that is directly in my way, but I truly think I have no other option. I am going to take your advise and then I am going to throw the halfshaft through a wall....(Thats for my satisfaction.....its not part of the sticky write up)....
          As long as you use a thin punch and don't hit anything except the axle, it should come out. Have someone pulling on the axle as you hit it to make that spring to pop out of its groove and get the axle out.
          Jim K.
          :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

From my experience, the stuck driver axle is a direct result of poor retaining clips on remanufactured axles.....some of them are literally 1/2 the size....and therein lies the problem.

When this type of clip on the axle is installed, there is a good chance that it will slip out of its groove on install, and wedge itself inbetween the splines of the axle and the splines of the inner differencial. When this happens it is basically stuck in place, so it definately doesn't want to come out.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE GOING THROUGH THE DIFFERENCIAL

I cannot stress this enough, USE QUALITY THICK (not tapered) PUNCHES to go through the diff to knock the axle out.

That is the only way to get it out, but if the end of your punch snaps off, where is it going to go?.........that is right....inside the transmission, in the differencial.

*P*O*O*P*

So be careful, and good luck.
            ยถยถยถ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
            ยถยถยถ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
            ยถยถยถ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Thanks Travis, I was able to tap out the drivers axle from the passenger side, It was a bitch to do I grant that. Its out now and I have the tranny apart to replace the bearings and synchros....fun fun...see ya and thanks again.

Originally posted by TravisWilliams_GT
              From my experience, the stuck driver axle is a direct result of poor retaining clips on remanufactured axles.....some of them are literally 1/2 the size....and therein lies the problem.

When this type of clip on the axle is installed, there is a good chance that it will slip out of its groove on install, and wedge itself inbetween the splines of the axle and the splines of the inner differencial. When this happens it is basically stuck in place, so it definately doesn't want to come out.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE GOING THROUGH THE DIFFERENCIAL

I cannot stress this enough, USE QUALITY THICK (not tapered) PUNCHES to go through the diff to knock the axle out.

That is the only way to get it out, but if the end of your punch snaps off, where is it going to go?.........that is right....inside the transmission, in the differencial.

*P*O*O*P*

So be careful, and good luck.

94 Mx-6 Vintage Red 5 spd
              KYB GR-2's, Dropzone Springs.

Comment

Man I just started taking everything apart today, what a bitch. The two front bolts on the engine craddle that have the nuts welded inside the frame...yeah well the the welds broke so we had to drill/cut into the frame to get'em out. Other than that everythings going okay, worked about 4 hrs and the tranny is ready to drop but its dark out so we figured we'd wait til tomorrow. But the write up has helped wonderfully!
                Thanks
                My Old Cars
                I had a blast at probetalk thank you all for your help, what a great community.

Comment

This thread is what probetalk should be about.

ยถยถยถ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                  ยถยถยถ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                  ยถยถยถ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Yeah it'd be great if it was wouldn't it?
                    My Old Cars
                    I had a blast at probetalk thank you all for your help, what a great community.

Comment

yeah Travis is the man...he installed my headers and a couple of other things and will be doing my clutch and flywheel tomorrow, can't wait.

Comment

Travis and Matt, the forums would not be the same without them Yes u to Jim :p Factory Freak!
                        Denny Crane /\ Capsule E.R.
                        05 GTO 408 Stroker \ 13 FRS LSx Swap (IP) / 02 Camaro SS 6.0L Chey's \ 14 F-150 5.0L / 96 MX6 M-Edition
                        Give college students enough time and they can set anything on fire. --Cross & White Dart

Comment

I was nowhere handy to 1:37, but these instructions saved me a hell of a lot of time, that's for sure! The manuals would have me remove the exhaust and the passenger shafts, for no reason. Thanks Travis!

Comment

Anybody know if you can buy the proper sized inner axle wire circlips from Ford or Mazda?

I had the stuck left inner axle problem on my MX-6 and had to use chisels as wedges under the CV housing, driving them in with a big hammer. It broke the inner splined end of the axle off (inside of the circlip groove) and it fell into the trans. I used a magnet tool to get the piece out, which was a ring of metal.

The chisels and hammering distorted the trans case near the seals, so I had to clean all of that up to get the seal to go back in. The car has not run since then (ZE swap) but it looks like it is now leaking in this area. If so, it means I will have to swap my trans for another one. I'll drive on it first to see if it stops (it might be overfilled now) but I'm not too confident. It will be a real bummer to have to pull the trans now.

I think it is better to pull the inner joint apart and take the tripod and shaft out. Pull the trans with the old housing still in place. Clean the old inner housing, grease it up, and install the rebuilt shaft into the old housing. This might not last forever, but it will be far less hassle that swapping the trans (if you have the same result I did).

Just a word to the wise...

Comment

3 hours biotch, here I come. Next clutch job will be next week, thats right, I only expect this clutch to last a week. I'll be faster that you soon Travis
                              Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                              Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                              R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                              I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael A.
                                Anybody know if you can buy the proper sized inner axle wire circlips from Ford or Mazda?

I had the stuck left inner axle problem on my MX-6 and had to use chisels as wedges under the CV housing, driving them in with a big hammer. It broke the inner splined end of the axle off (inside of the circlip groove) and it fell into the trans. I used a magnet tool to get the piece out, which was a ring of metal.

The chisels and hammering distorted the trans case near the seals, so I had to clean all of that up to get the seal to go back in. The car has not run since then (ZE swap) but it looks like it is now leaking in this area. If so, it means I will have to swap my trans for another one. I'll drive on it first to see if it stops (it might be overfilled now) but I'm not too confident. It will be a real bummer to have to pull the trans now.

I think it is better to pull the inner joint apart and take the tripod and shaft out. Pull the trans with the old housing still in place. Clean the old inner housing, grease it up, and install the rebuilt shaft into the old housing. This might not last forever, but it will be far less hassle that swapping the trans (if you have the same result I did).

Just a word to the wise...

You can find them at Ford, $5 for a pair but they dont make them any more so good luck finding them. I had mine shipped from Utah and the guy on the phone said he would just drop them in USPS for ยข37 there so small, if you have to have them shipped ask them to do that.
                                Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                                Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                                R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                                I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

Working...
                                X