Parasitic Battery Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasitic Battery Drain

My 89 GL has a battery drain somewhere, I've narrowed it down to the Fuel Inj fuse under the hood, as well as the BTN fuse which more specifically was narrowed down to the Room and Hazard fuses under the dash.

I've never done any kind of wiring and still waiting for my service book to arrive, any tips or ideas what I could do to find the problem? With the Fuel Inj fuse it seems strange it would be drawing when the key isn't even in the ignition.

With the room fuse being an issue I would start by checking under the dash and in the dash for aftermarket wiring for things like lights, radio, alarms.. look for any wires that are cut or spliced together.
    1993 Probe GT
    2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

It had an after market radio, it didn't work anymore so I pulled it out. The display showed the time, but it wouldn't power on. The fuse on the radio was good. Still have the leak, if I can figure out how to get into the dash better I'll do that next.

Thanks!

Comment

When I disconnect my new alternator, the fuel inj battery drain stops. The alternator is new. Can it be something else or does this pin point the alternator as the problem?

Edit...
        I think it's my multimeter. A test light shows no significant drain. A borrowed multimeter shows a 7ma drain
        What's a good multimeter? Im not buying these cheaper ones again
        Last edited by HappyProbe; October 9, 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Fluke brand.
          Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I have the same problem with my 94 SE. Gotta get a new battery today. Three month old one won't charge anymore with my 8amp charger. Car has the original factory starter as far as I know. The guy at Oreilly's told me the starter bushings can make it draw a lot of reserve power to crank, draining the battery. Besides other possible power draws. Kinda makes sense, so I might replace the starter first. See what shape the wires are in & go from there?

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

Well, I replaced the starter & O'reilly's swapped me a new battery under warranty. Never had the problem again, even though the car may sit for a week before I drive it again.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

Working...
                X