My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -cj-
    Where is this connector located? Like, if I'm standing at the front of the car looking towards the engine, where would I see it?

Right above the oil filter.
    Previously: 93 PGT Turbo...you know, back when you had to build the setup yourself.

Currently: 2012 Jeep GC Overland Summit - 1965 Chevy C10 SWB Fleet

Comment

I put a new sender unit in, and the gauge reads perfect now. Before it didn't move at all. Apparently the person before me installed a random sending unit(non probe GT) that pretty much just filled the hole. Oh the unit cost $180 canadian. ouch. I should have asked about the price before my mechanic put it in, Woulda gambled on one from the autowreckers for $10. oh well. Only had the Probe for 2 weeks now. Hopefully that's the only problem I'll have.

Cheers
      Ryan

Comment

Hmmm....Checker has the part listed for $10US on their website....

--Adam
        2004 Ford Mustang GT - 4.6L V8 AT - Tuned - 3.73s - CAI

Comment

btw, this also works for aftermarket units.. i quickly sanded off the contact points (the nuts) on my autometer sending unit. i don't get the annoying jumpy needle anymore. pressure stayed about the same, but the scary oscilating needle is gone
          1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
          2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
          2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Wow that worked great! I had always noticed it had been low but I never really worried about it. My engine has about 130k miles on it and I just figured that the low pressure reading was due to normal wear on the seals. The sandpaper trick definitely raised the reading a bit tho! thanks
            1993 PGT Rio Red
            Check it out!

Comment

this might make me FEEL beter when i look at my guage, but the little puff here and there of oil out the exhaust makes me still feel worried

Comment

Glad to see more people are trying this and seeing results.
                '93 Electric Red PGT SOLD
                Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
                2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

Re: My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

Anyone have a picture of it yet? I dont want to mess anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by varsitypride3
                    Anyone have a picture of it yet? I dont want to mess anything up.
                    The arrow is pointing to it. It's black with that little bronze part on it.

http://server27.totalchoicehosting.c...suresender.jpg
                    Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
                    2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

I was worried about my low oil pressure last summer. I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the sending unit location on the block and everything was just fine, yet the gauge read very low (right above the line). The clip to the sending unit was not coroded, but the insulation a few inches above the sending unit was rotten. I replaced the wire and the gauge read high for once. In all honesty, the leads me to belive that many people aim to increase oil pressure by using the zr1 filter and the oil pump shim, without reason. We're probly runnin a biggilion PSI of oil pressure.
                      Jeff Hudnut 2005 Scion tC
                      93 PGT ATX sold

Comment

Excellent post, my oil pressure has been low since I bought the car a few months ago. I've asked my dad about it and he didn't think that it would make sense that an engine with under 100,000 miles on it would have a oil pressure problems. Sure enough he was right, I sanded the connection a bit plugged it back in and oil pressure was back up into the normal area. Excellent find.
                        '93 PGT praying for new paint with RR-Racing STS, Poly Stabilizer Bushings, CM 3, Fidanza Flywheel, AWR Rear Mount, Poly Inserts in the Front Mount, 2.5" CatBack, HD CAI, Tokico Illuminas, Pro Kit Springs, OBX Headers and Resonated test pipe courtesy of TWMotorsports...totaled as of August 2nd

Comment

i will be trying this within a week, at idle its above the line, and at like 4000 rpms its just under the L, it drives me nuts!

Comment

Um, maybe I'm the only person here, but I am way ahead of you on the contact wire cleaning. My probe reads just below the L at cruizing speeds, and when its idling hot, it reads about a millimeter above the low pressure line. I am running mobil 1 15w40 in the WINTER and I am still having a low pressure problem.

Maybe my car really DOES have low oil pressure since it has 179xxx miles on it.

Any more ideas, or is it going to sieze on me during the summer.
                            Last edited by BEATGT; February 26, 2004, 10:54 PM.
                            178,000 miles going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by BEATGT
                              Um, maybe I'm the only person here, but I am way ahead of you on the contact wire cleaning. My probe reads just below the L at cruizing speeds, and when its idling hot, it reads about a millimeter above the low pressure line. I am running mobil 1 15w40 in the WINTER and I am still having a low pressure problem.

Maybe my car really DOES have low oil pressure since it has 179xxx miles on it.

Any more ideas, or is it going to sieze on me during the summer.
                              Like I said, it is common occurance on these cars for the sending unit to go bad. In my case, I cleaned the contacts and it helped the reading a lot. I know it's a simple solution, but I posted it because I figured it was so simple that people never think to do it. And it turned out to be true, and people here have done it and it worked.

In your case, your sending unit might just be bad then or else you really do have low oil pressure.
                              2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

for some reason it didn't work for me. Oh well... no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X