Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil pressure sending unit hose - aftermarket gauges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure sending unit hose - aftermarket gauges.

So, I have been trying to install a mechanical after-market oil pressure gauge. It came with a nylon hose, which I believe is 1/8". The problem is that the hose is tightly wound and it cracks and creases up very easily, thus making it no good to use.

Has anyone used another transport medium for this, such as rubber? I wonder if rubber might expand enough to cause an inaccurate reading.. or if that's not really a concern. I can get oil-grade hose in a small diameter from Napa, or perhaps Autozone.

Or.. would a place, such as a hardware store, have a better grade of nylon tubing to use? I'd like to avoid nylon if it all possible though.
    '00 Contour SVT - Stock and Reliable
    '93 Probe GT - Currently Grounded.

update your email address y0

i would say if the gauge is to be mounted in the cabin, go with an electrical unit, and then run a wire, because i personally wouldn't want to run a hose of oil into the cabin, but thats preference..

but if its mounted in the engine bay, for some reason, then id go with a line that can withstand up to 100psi, to be safe, and that could be any line, just has to be capable of that or similar.
    1994 Klze-t Pgt. Garret t3/t4 60 trim@5psi untuned.

Comment

copper 1/8 line is readily available and is what I used for both my wife's gauge installs.
      ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
      ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
      ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

did you do anything to let the line flex to allow for engine moving around? something like the swigly things they put in brake lines.

what gauge would be more accurate, a mechanical gauge or a electric gauge? i want to get an aftermarket oil press gauge and im not very fond of running a pressurized oil line into my cabin either.
        -Roman
        93 teal mist PGT.....RIP march 21, 2008
        95 white PGT....blown up, sold
        94 325i...boring dd
        02 R6....toy

Comment

I believe that the NHRA regulations for most forms of drag racing do not allow for mechanical oil pressure gauges that use plastic/nylon lines. Copper line might not be acceptable either, depending on how it is installed I suppose.

Here is the quote from NHRA.com
          All pressurized flexible oil system lines (including oil pressure gauge lines, data recorder, and rocker lines) must use factory crimped and/or commercially available connections and must be used for their intended application. Quick disconnects, plastic and nylon lines are prohibited. Lines must be tested and tagged to indicate they have been tested. All lines must be hydrostatically tested to 300 psi for 30 seconds with no indication of separation, leaking, or weeping. Competitors may either have their lines commercially tested and tagged or test and tag their own lines. Test and tag services will also be available at national events. To insure compliance with test and tag requirements, the tech department will randomly test lines at various events.
          I'd imagine SCCA rules would be similar.

Just food for thought. I'd never use a mechanical gauge, personally. Electrics are more expensive obviously, but I'd rather be safe. If you do use a mechanical gauge, I'd get a braided stainless line made with the proper fittings on each end.
          Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
          06 Legacy GT
          98 Legacy GT

Comment

Iv just brought a Sandwich Plate to run some gauges and a Cooler off. Now after seeing this i think i will install a Electrical one but the ports on the SP are 1/8" so they must be to run a Mechanical one! How do i then connect a Electrical Gauge to a Mechanical Gauge Port?!
            Daddy P$MP especially with my new paint!

Comment

Sending units are available in various sizes, or you can fit an adapter. You should be able to find one for 1/8" NPT.
              Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
              06 Legacy GT
              98 Legacy GT

Comment

what sux is that most electric oil press gauges are the crappy 90* sweep, and the ones that are a 270* sweep are like 200 dollars.
                and most mechanic oil gauges are 270* sweep and they are all cheap.

the only cheap electric 270* oil gauge that i can find is the white summit gauge. i might get it, because im tired of my oil gauge spitting out bullshit and i dont want oil lines in my face
                -Roman
                93 teal mist PGT.....RIP march 21, 2008
                95 white PGT....blown up, sold
                94 325i...boring dd
                02 R6....toy

Comment

Originally posted by hockeystyx16
                  did you do anything to let the line flex to allow for engine moving around? something like the swigly things they put in brake lines.

what gauge would be more accurate, a mechanical gauge or a electric gauge? i want to get an aftermarket oil press gauge and im not very fond of running a pressurized oil line into my cabin either.

"Swirly at turbo"

I wrapped the copper line around a sharpie twice before terminating it at the connection to the turbo.
                  ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                  ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                  ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Mechanical gauges are more accurate and allow for a greater sweep, as mentioned above. IF the weather was nicer, I would run copper. I'll probably hold onto the gauge till the spring, then install it with copper.

I like the braided steel idea.. however, wow, that's going to be expensive! I'll be sure to coil it (the proper word you guys are looking for) somewhere close to the firewall, as that's going to be the fulcrum.

~Patrick
                    '00 Contour SVT - Stock and Reliable
                    '93 Probe GT - Currently Grounded.

update your email address y0

Comment

Working...
                    X