No announcement yet.

FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your car is looking good dude and i had that same grant steering wheel as you do but i sold mine

Comment

• I'm canceling the JetHot coating on the pipes, and going with ceramic piston top coating (inside and out). Should get started on this process in about 2 weeks. I like what I've been reading about it and what some local pros have said after using it. The bonus is that I spray it all myself (in the pro booth with the proper gun) and save about 80% of what it would have cost me to JetHot it.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

• I'm not a fan of JetHot, had way to many issues and too many cars come in with flaking terrible coating. We had one set of brand new headers, sent from the manufacturer jet hot coated and 3 months later you could pick off the flaking coating. Just terrible.

Local powdercoaters and ceramic coating is as far as I usually go.
        Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
        PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
        1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
        1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

• That oil cooler line looks like it's touching the the the #2 header tube. Could just look that way in the pic, or maybe you should check it out???
          Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
          STEVE B
          1993 Probe GT
          2016 Mustang

Comment

• It's close, and it will be wrapped in the Fyre Foil also. Me no like rubber lines, but my wallet sez "no AN lines for you!"
            90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
            93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
            97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

• I started making the intercooler water line brackets. I saw these in another car project thread on another forum, so I thieved the general idea. There will be 3 in total, maybe 4, between the IC and firewall. Will keep the lines neatly separated and out of harms way and will look good to boot.

I still have to finish and polish them.

One sample - start with this (2" x 1/8" aluminum angle):

End up with this:

Here is also a shot of the single strut for the hood - works fine, but it's too stiff for frail little fiberglass bracing, so I'll have to procure a blown one to avoid breaking the hood. I know it's not in the most out of the way place, but there is plenty of room for everything around it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/caf012be.jpg

And finally my gear oil showed up. It is spec fluid for the PAR gearset though, and used frequently by race teams, so....what's the saying, 'you gotta pay to play'?
              $70 for 3 quarts

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/9de8ef48.jpg

Comment

• How does the tube chassis in the front and the engine cradle compare to the factory compents in regards to weight?
                Matt Hicks
                Silver 97 2.0 Turbo
                Factory Green ZX6RR
                If you have 1,000 posts and have not donated to PT, you should consider doing so.
                "We're all still learning."

Comment

• There is no tube chassis...it's all unibody still. If you mean just the upper/lower radiator supports, then they're comparable to stock. Same with the cradle.

When you tube the front end, it essentially discards the frame rails and aprons and it becomes part of the roll cage - it becomes stiffer, and if you use moly it'll be lighter also, but also opens up huge amounts of room for anything you want to add. Control arms also bolt up to the tube structure.

The PRm Probe has a mostly tube chassis front end.

Comment

• Dude, your gear oil is right hand drive!! Sick!
                    2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

• Ah crap, I didn't notice that....I don't know if it's compatible with LHD cars

Comment

• [QUOTE='Dan [Sac];1923885283']The uni-member (engine cradle) is done. Looks a bit weird, but given that I'm working without a tube bender, this is the best I could muster. Also works in terms of what it needs to do. The rear transmission mount it only under tension and compression so that gives me good strength there.

The front engine mount (bolts to the block between the oil filter and transaxle) will put some bending stress on the 2 beams that it's mounted on, but given the amount of stiffness in all the other mounts, I'm not worried about it. I will be also boxing the underside of it to serve as a jacking point.

I discarded a full differential brace idea as it would be too time consuming to carry out at this time. I feel that with the AWR stock position transm. mount, the tranny saver, and this new mx-3 style mount bolted to the cradle I will have sufficient movement restraints.

Do we got an installed picture?
                        Would love for pmo/pro to give me my 2000 veilside hyundai tiburon back and the several thousands of dollars they owe me or the parts!

Comment

• Yeah, probably after coating the pipes.

Comment

• Well, crap.

The clutch hydraulics are on the fritz. I was bleeding the clutch yesterday and just when I thought I was finished, I got some serious air time. Then more, and more, and more - I then started hearing some hissing somewhere while the pedal was being pressed down.

Haven't traced it any further than that yet - will have to do some trouble shooting on it.

The other problem is that the budget for the car is now expired...with dyno tuning still left to do, I don't know where the money will come form. I would hate to have to cancel the whole thing so close to the end, but it is looking like that is becoming a possible outcome down the road.

Regardless, either this project or the 323 will have to be sacrificed by the super bowl in order to finance my senior year tuition. This car has been straining me quite a bit for the past 10 months now, and it may have just broken the camel's back. I've also been helping my parents get closer to paying off the house, as my dad has been finding himself unemployed for long times now after 20 years at his company.

Comment

• let the 323 go. i hate to see frankenprobe parted out

Comment

• damn , that sucks but we all know where priorities should be. Best of luck with whatever the outcome is.
                                97 Pgt- getting much needed TLC
                                88 CRX DX d15b i/h/e 40mpg - DD
                                00 Jetta gl-wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                                X