This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple things to ad/ask

1) the interprep springs are a single coil design... does this allow for high revving still, and how much stiffer are they than stock

2)what about putting stiffer springs in the HLA's so they can decompress faster and be less likely to tippity tap?
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Interprep springs are 30% stiffer than stock, per Alistair @ interprep - this will indeed allow higher revs, and I'm assuming that 8-8200 shouldn't be a problem. Once an MSD unit is introduced on our race car I'm going to bump the rev limiter from the stock 7800 to 8000. I've been hitting it a few times in 1st & 2nd gears.

I'll have to stop by the Sac. Cylinder Head shop here in town sometime and have a talk with the tech there - the guy is money, and Jon and I talked to him for a while when we had the FrankenProbe cyl heads cleaned up. We'll take a couple of HLAs with us and come back with some definitive sizes and potential other car replacements, whether they be solid (626 or miata) or HLA still but lighter (the Z32 300ZX are a close fit, but not close enough to even attempt a swap - but the Nissan ones weigh half what the Mazda units do).
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Just thinking out loud here, what advantage do you suppose there would be if you were to be able to wave a wand and have your HLA's be half their OEM weight? Would there be less work required to drive them down thus freeing up some parasitic losses? I kind of doubt that since by my guess weight has less to do with how much force is needed to drive the valve down than with the pressure exerted by the spring. Would they respond faster returning thus reducing the the perpensity for valve float? Possibly! Couple a lighter lifter with a stronger spring and you multiply the return effect of the spring without multiplying the pressure resisting the cam's rotation - could be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jon93PGT
          93GT_speeding- So you have the full Ferrea valvetrain?? Who did you buy through. If not the full setup, please give details about what you run and where you purchased. Thanks.
          The only thing i didn't get from Ferrea was the valves themselve's, seemed like a waste since there was nothing wrong with the stockers. So i am running the duel spring with the Ti. retainers and their locks. Also the springs are quiet a bit shorter then the stockers, so you have to buy there seat locators also.
          I got mine from a place in Long Island,NY but I just called Ferrea and they gave me the name of the dealer.
          Im pretty happy with the stuff.. heres a few pics:
          Everything
          One set apart
          A set together

~chris
          Chris R. - 93PGT-ZE ..... 04 Buell Firebolt (jardine exhaust) .... 95 Jeep (4" lift and 32's).....2010 Harley Davidson Iron

The ZE ....Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3

Comment

Nice setup, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by skelly
              Just thinking out loud here, what advantage do you suppose there would be if you were to be able to wave a wand and have your HLA's be half their OEM weight? Would there be less work required to drive them down thus freeing up some parasitic losses? I kind of doubt that since by my guess weight has less to do with how much force is needed to drive the valve down than with the pressure exerted by the spring. Would they respond faster returning thus reducing the the perpensity for valve float? Possibly! Couple a lighter lifter with a stronger spring and you multiply the return effect of the spring without multiplying the pressure resisting the cam's rotation - could be nice.

A couple of good points. The only forces you have here are the spring force, and the force of the cam lobe as it rolls. Therefore the ideal is to match those forces. The HLA's weight I guess could play a roll, but we're talking about such a small difference in weight, especially considering the forces due to spring pressure and cam lift. Therefore I think for the work involved, the need for a lighter HLA is really not necessary. Unless you want every little benefit, cost aside, I think we're getting to the point of wasting our time... I would say a good cleanup on the stock HLAs would be best...

There is also the solid lifter compatibility question... But, eh, I guess its a matter of opinion... If you're one of those "I'm the first with _____ " then I'd say go for the lighter HLAs or solid lifters, but if you're one of many that realize a limit and can understand a cost/benefit analysis, I think you'd realize its a waste of time..
              2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

and yes... VERY nice setup Chris... Its a little rich for my blood and a little too much for my plans, but very nice looking indeed.

I ending up getting the CZT Titanium retainers and chromoly valvelocks. Tomorrow I will order some Interprep springs. I'm still toying with the idea of stock valves or Ferrea, but to be honest, I think I'm going to stick with stock. If anything, I'll probably go with Ferrea intake valves as they have the nice Pro Flo (TM) design. This is a decrease in valve stem radius from 6mm to 5.5mm where the valve stem passes through the port.
                2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

Comment

and yes... VERY nice setup Chris... Its a little rich for my blood and a little too much for my plans, but very nice looking indeed.
                  Thanks guys! I really debated for a long time if it was worth the money, and one night when I was trying to decide I saw another thread of someone droping a valve, and that made up my mind. Plus I liked the idea of having the stronger duel spring.

~chris
                  Chris R. - 93PGT-ZE ..... 04 Buell Firebolt (jardine exhaust) .... 95 Jeep (4" lift and 32's).....2010 Harley Davidson Iron

Comment

chris-

that sounds great... I actually jut ordered the Interprep springs, and I picked up a CZT retainer/valvelock package from a guy here... I would have gone with the Ferrea setup, but damn, its soo expensive.. I just can't justify that kind of money for what I want to be a "modest build"..

Anyway, I will of course take pics when they come in and when everything is assembled.

Comment

chris-

that sounds great... I actually jut ordered the Interprep springs, and I picked up a CZT retainer/valvelock package from a guy here... I would have gone with the Ferrea setup, but damn, its soo expensive.. I just can't justify that kind of money for what I want to be a "modest build"..

Anyway, I will of course take pics when they come in and when everything is assembled.
                      I probably would have done the same thing had CZT been around when I was doing my build, to save the money. I'll soon post pics of my whole build for the world to see..

Comment

This thread has some great information!

I am curious tho.. what do you guys think about using stock DE retainers with interprep valve springs?.. just to save the cost on buying new retainers as DE seem to be very sturdy.
                        Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                        1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

Jeff- I replied to your PM and also shot you an AIM message.. Feel free to get in touch anytime if you need help. As for retainer options we really only have CZT (do they even still operate and make/sell products?), Ferrea, or stock...

If you get the Ferrea retainers, you need their springs, seats, and locks as well.. A very pricey package that really isn't needed for normal driving and moderate revs. If you plan to rev past 9K (why bother), then go for it..

But, for the rest of us, I personally must say the best bang for the buck is the Interprep springs with either the CZT retainers and locks, or stock stuff.. Stock is cheap, easy to get, and you know it will fit. Interprep springs are made to stock size spec, so they will work with stock valves, retainers, locks...

If you use ZE heads, you'll have to convert to 03 size retainers and locks anyway, so you might as well do it. All aftermarket springs are made to 03 spec, so if using the ZE heads, you'll have to swap over to 03 size valvetrain anyway...

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jon.. I also PM'd you back.

How much are stock retainers from the dealer and can we rev to ~9k rpm (also agree there's no reason to ever go further even with very agressive cams) if we wanted without them breaking?
                            Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                            1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

....good stuff........

just a couple things to clear my thoughts...............and get started on project.....

i got suckered into buying some ze heads cheap, but had no hla's and could never get ahold of him.....so anyways for hla's my only source is millenia (int & ext) hla's from the dealer or??????

also, is with using interprep springs, ?millenia hla's?, 03 valves, 03 retainers and 03 locks will these parts be 100% compatible w/ ze head

and at last my 03 heads have 115,000 miles, am i able to reuse any parts.........i plan on only re-using the valves and getting new retainers and locks

i appreciate any feedback
                              thanks
                              something different

Comment

As for getting + sized vavles i think thats a very bad idea with our combustion chamber design. Even with our stock intake valves there is barely any room around the outer edge of the valve for air to get into the combustion chamber (intake). When i was porting/polishing my heads i deshrouded them as much as i could, but the headgasket is very close to the edge of the combustion chamber leaving little room to really make using plus sized valves worth the money. The exhaust valves are alittle smaller and could possibly benifit from being 1mm bigger. But again i dont think its really worth the money.

The real gains to be made in our heads are in the bowl area. Just smoothing out the short radious on the intake and exhaust ports in my opinion will make the head flow better then lets say plus sized valves. That along with sanding down the nasty casting marks and the transition from the valve seat to the port area are where the gains are to be had. I'll post up pics of my finished heads in about 2 weeks or so. They are at the machine shop getting a new surface, valves ground + glass beaded. But the damn machinest went to hawaii for 2 weeks just as i finished porting my heads .

Another thing to look into when your getting your valves ground at the machine shop is asking about getting the valves back-cut. This should help out flow in the same way as the Ferrea Pro Flo (TM) design. I'm hoping my machinest can do this for me.
                                Mods:
                                - 2 holes in 2 seperate pistons thanks to my good pal juice. ZE, now all thats left are CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2. on a new ZE.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Comment

Working...
                                X