looking at getting mags for track days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at getting mags for track days

Im looking at getting a 2nd set of mags for the occasional track day and have a few questions (wheels have never been my forte). They need to be 17" to clear my brakes. I just wanted to confirm the best offset to go with is 35mm? i believe factory is 40mm, is there any advantage to going to 35mm?

I think 225's will be fine as i have a manual rack and still want to be able to turn the thing. I am looking at the following options because they are light and i believe would look good on the PGT.

- OZ Forgiata
    - OZ Superleggera

opinions are appreciated!
    Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
    Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
    Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

What kind of brakes are you running?
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Probably Mazda speed 6 brakes.
      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

17x9 +22 with 235/40/17
        Ryan
        '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
        SMF Prep:
        MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

^^^ what he said.
          The Mazda 6 rotors fit with the stock wheels too.

The spare can still be used in the back, but it pretty much becomes useless. Don't forget to get a full size spare.
          Last edited by yellowrob; July 19, 2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

yes mazdaspeed 6 brakes. whats the benefit of going to a +22 offset, factory is +35 so wouldn't this bring the wheels in and decrease handling? The stock wheels 7" and fit 225's so whats the benefit of 9"?

As for the spare i already have a 17" steel spare (i have had these brakes for a long time now). I should also mention i have TEIN coil-overs that sit quite low, i have rolled the guards but don't want offset getting in the way.
            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

I don't know about the offset.

A 17 steel spare.....I'm gonna have to get me one of those.

Comment

+22 offset will bring your wheels out compared to +35mm! I'd go with a 17x8 with a 225 tire or 17x9 with a 245 but it might be hard with the manual rack
                Last edited by poissonn; July 20, 2015, 10:02 AM.
                MX-6 DE-T // Parting out...

Comment

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post
                  yes mazdaspeed 6 brakes. whats the benefit of going to a +22 offset, factory is +35 so wouldn't this bring the wheels in and decrease handling?
                  Negatory. 22 offset will place the wheels further out giving you a wider track and better handling.

http://cocomponents.com/dealer/blog/...set-explained/

The stock wheels 7" and fit 225's so whats the benefit of 9"?
                  If stock was good, nobody would change. A wider wheel will flatten and widen the tire reducing tire squirm, enhancing steering feel, response and overall grip.

And go for 235/40/17. Light for reduced inertia means better steering feel, response and acceleration, short for better gearing and acceleration and lower center of gravity, and many many many awesome options in that size, and they fit very nicely on a 9" wide wheel.

I should also mention i have TEIN coil-overs that sit quite low, i have rolled the guards but don't want offset getting in the way.
                  So raise it up, if you've lowered it from the pre-set position it's probably too low and compromising suspension geometry and thus handling.
                  Ryan
                  '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                  SMF Prep:
                  MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

thanks for your help Ryan and everyone else, im going to start looking for options now, the wheels i like dont come in 17" so ill have to look around for a few others.

Comment

Ok... so its been a while but im finally getting new wheels. I had a look at my current wheels (terrible), 17x7.0" wide and ET42 (2mm more inwards than stockies). The rubber on these wheels is older than most cars on the road (so ill be keeping the set for casual use) I may get some small spacers to put them back to original offset.

The new wheels I decided to go with are 17x7.5" wide with a offset of 35, this puts my wheel out 13mm further which is what i really wanted (pretty close to flush with my fenders). Its a lighter rim (8.7kg) so its better for track days and im slapping on some Hankook RS4's so i should have some grip finally. I decided not to go any wider as turning with a manual rack on semi slicks is going to be a workout and im not a big bloke.

test fitment pic

ill post an update when they are on the car in a few days time.

Comment

Nice lookin wheel.
                        Probe out for Harambe
                        94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
                          Nice lookin wheel.
                          Thanks, here is a fitted pic

Also added 1deg more of camber at the front and the car turns in really well now with the manual steering rack, just need to shorten my custom steering rack end adapters so i can get the toe-in correct.

Comment

Working...
                          X