Car Not Running with Probinator Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Not Running with Probinator Chip

Installed the ECU with the Probinator chip today and the vehicle won't start. Fans ran as soon as the key was turned to "on" but would not start. The chip is installed with the "dimple" facing to the inside of the box just like the original chip was. I removed the ECU and reinstalled the original chip into the socket and the vehicle started just fine and the fans were not on as they were with the Probinator chip.
    I can try and turn the probinator chip around but then it will be installed backwards from the way the original chip installs. Don't want to "smoke" anything.
    Seems like the chip may be defective but I am open to suggestions. Any ideas? Seen this before? ECU is from a 1995 GT (KL89).
    '95 KLZE PGT - SPEC Clutch, Borla Exhaust, Hot Shot Headers, LSD Trans, MegaSquirt, Supercharged

You have to jumper two pads on the board but for the life of me i cannot remember which one. This only applies to the 95 KL-89 ecu.
    Last edited by WhiteDart; July 23, 2009, 09:50 PM.
    Jim K.
    :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Thanks! Never knew this and Ryan never mentioned it. I'll see what I can find in the archives here and see also if I can find this info on the install instructions. If anyone knows what has to be jumped, please let me know. In the meantime, I have a note into Ryan asking for assistance but I am still awaiting his response.
      '95 KLZE PGT - SPEC Clutch, Borla Exhaust, Hot Shot Headers, LSD Trans, MegaSquirt, Supercharged

Comment

Talked with Ryan today and he thinks it is R113. He is verifying for me.

Comment

^^^ may be why my chips never worked. that would have been some nice info to have included 95 ecu archive threads.

its not all 95 its some others too. I dont know who did your chips Cman, I think you told me one time but I forgot. Most the kl89 need to solder in a jumper. I spoke with cougar. All is good.
          Last edited by 1stprobinator; July 27, 2009, 08:49 PM.
          2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
          2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Ryan verified that the R113 connection must be jumpered on the KL89 ECU's so that the Probinator chip is recognized. Thanks, Ryan!!

ps. you might consider adding this info as a footnote on your on-line installation instructions.

Thanks, Ryan!

The thing is not all of them are like that when I saw the picture of your ecu I could tell, most the time it is though. Anyone that says they have other then a 93 I usually email them. I thought I sent one to the email that you have on your paypal. I apologize. Just been crazy with my reg job.

P.S
            ANYONE NEEDING ANYTHING FEEL FREE TO CALL ME. I TRY TO COME AND CHECK PMS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, BUT HAVE NO FEAR IM HERE LURKING. :0
            Last edited by 1stprobinator; July 28, 2009, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Interesting, didn't know you could edit my posts. . .

Well I can verify that the R113 jumper indeed works on the KL89 ECU. Engine started immediately and runs fine.

Suggestion: how about looking into getting rid of those pesky EGR solenoid codes (28,29) and the fuel pressure regulator solenoid code (25). None of these are used on the KLZE. :-)
              Last edited by Cougar; July 28, 2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X