No announcement yet.

1 wire O2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just noticed a 24 in my CEL and good thing i kept reading the forum. Thank you guys!
    Rio Red 94PGT, Turbo T360trim,T3T4E 50 trim,T3T4E57 trim Parted out!
    1998 Volvo S70, The Brick
    1999 Red Volvo S70 T5 The Red Devil, modded
    1998 Black V70R AWD, The Waggo with mods

Comment

Yep, works great...

btw... Bosch part 11027 is the part specified for nearly all single wire universal applications.

And yes, after I specified the part # I wanted he asked me for yr, make, model. I told him my '93 Ford Probe 2.5l and he said thank you, here's your part.

Comment

Another successful one wire o2 conversion here! Kudos to Ryanpzz.

The whole conversion, for both the front and rear sensor, took about 40 minutes. The majority of the time was spent trying to tighten the rear sensor, I could only turn my wrench so far on each throw.

As stated above, the Bosch part number is 11027 however a Borg Warner of the same number will do the same thing.
        Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

my garage

Comment

The main reason Autozone asks you what car is it from is because Bosch O2 sensors have a 3 month warranty and they want to record it in their system for your benefit. Eventhough you hack it up and put it on the wrong car.

Worked there for 2 years.
          Mike Evans
          92 MX-3 GS MTX 2.5L
          93 MX-3 GS SE MTX 1.8L

KL-DE/ZE, ZE ECU, KLZE pistons, Port/Polished DE heads, Stiffer Valve Springs, '96 Millenia Intake Manifold, 67mm TB, Clutchmasters Stage III, Fidanza Flywheel, and Walbro FP.

Comment

Originally posted by olson2cm
            Brian, have you tried this to prove this is the case? I wouldn't be all that surprised, but being that the system could care less if the 2 lower O2's are even hooked up, I'm surprised they would care about the upper two being heated
            I'm investigating the possibility of using the one wire 02 mod on my 96PGT...I've done some research...basically, the lower (referred to as the rear) 02 sensors are only linked to the PCM via the signal wire for the sensor iteself and not the heating element. The top (front) sensors are 3 wire units that have two of the three wires leading to the PCM. Logically, one wire must be for the signal and the other for the heating element. So, assuming that my last statement is true, the front 02's are monitored by the PCM for proper heating element function...the rear 02's are clearly not.

I have a couple newer 3 wire Bosch HEGO's from my mustang that I've eliminated through tuning with aftermarket software. I plan on using them in place of the current front PGT 02's which are also 3 wire units. The heating element resistance should be similar - if not, I can adjust with common resistors.

Since the lower 02's are clearly not monitored by the PCM, I'll be swapping in the Bosch 11027 one wire units. Note: The factory 96PGT lower 02's are 4 wire units (2 wires are ground leads, 1 is supply voltage, and the last is feedback to the PCM).

NOTE: The 96 EVTM has errors. It references the 02's incorrectly on the component connector facing views for the PCM connectors. Go by the circuit numbers listed in the engine control section of the EVTM.
            96 5 spd PGT Laser Red/Tan Leather KLZE, Hotshot Intake, Hotshot Headers, Borla, MSD 6A & Coil, Fidanza & CM Stg IIR, RR-Racing Mounts, Eibach, Tokico and a lot of miles! SOLD

07 Volvo S60R 6MT - Electric Silver/Nordkap 300hp AWD Loaded, IPD STG 3 to come

Comment

replacing the lower ones with on a 96 with the one wires ones will work fine I believe jeff jeske has already proved this in the past. but the to upper ones this will not work on and will throw a code for the heater circuit wich probly doesn't hurt performance but will juts be annoying with the cel always being on.

Comment

ok i still have a check engin light on. the four wires that came out of the old 02 were two white, a black and i don;t remember what the other two were. but i hooked the 84 caprice sensor up to the black wire and my CEL is still on all the time. when i went to autozone they said that it was (BANK 2, SENSOR 1) could someone please tell me where this one is at. cause i don;t want to think that i did the wrong on. i was told it was after the catalytic converter. is that right please get back to me
                thanks

Comment

what year is your car?

Comment

it is a 1996 gt

Comment

that will be the front one on the top. the one wire sensor probly won't work on that one due to the pcm actually checks the heater circuit for the two top sensors. ask autozone what the specific code is present it could be inactivity or heater circuit. which if its the heater circuit then I was right in my earlier post in this thread.

Comment

how much are those and are how hard are they to replace

Comment

hooterlure69-

I think Autozone wants $120-$130 each for the OEM replacement O2's. I lucked out and used the nearly new 3-wire heated O2's from my mustang which is now tuned w/o O2's. The heater resistances are slightly different and my CEL is still present...but I've had problems pulling codes on my 96PGT so I'm not positive that the CEL is due to the O2's. Regardless, the factory O2's were long overdue for replacements after 175k+ miles. I'm going to try a different scan tool although the Matco unit I used was compatable with the 96PGT OBD-II PCM. I kept getting interface errors even though all the connections were clean. You prolly need to replace your front upper O2 with a factory replacement unit. Not cheap at $120-130 though. Otherwise, you might try and find a cheaper 3 wire unit with heater element, cut and splice in the PGT wire harness and wire in resistor(s) to match the resistance of the factory PGT heater element. If you're not comfortable with that, just buy the proper O2.
                          96 5 spd PGT Laser Red/Tan Leather KLZE, Hotshot Intake, Hotshot Headers, Borla, MSD 6A & Coil, Fidanza & CM Stg IIR, RR-Racing Mounts, Eibach, Tokico and a lot of miles! SOLD

Comment

where is the upper 02 located?and do you know where to get them for the cheapest? thanks for you help please get back to me thanks.

Comment

there should be 3 on each manifold on the 96 the upper would be the top one of course

Comment

Originally posted by brian2305
                                there should be 3 on each manifold on the 96 the upper would be the top one of course
                                I think you meant 2 on each manifold.

The top front sensor is easy to find looking at the front of the engine. It sticks out of the manifold nearly horizontally. There's a heat shield around it that you may consider removing if you're trying to pull the sensor out with an end wrench. My advice is to get the O2 sensor removal socket - should be around $5. That way, you can use a 3/8" drive rachet and slide the socket over the sensor without screwing around with the heat shield.

Comment

Working...
                                X