This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker size for all probe models.

Since there seems to be a neverending supply of people asking what size speakers fit, I thought I'd search and find out exactly what does fit. This is the list I have come up with. Please don't post saying "NO! That's not right!" unless you can show some proof. I actually went through several pages of posts(plus having installed stereos and speakers in several different probes) to find this stuff.
    If anybody knows the mounting depth of the speakers that they have, and would like to share, that'd be great.

1st Gen(all years 89-92)
    Front: 6.5
    Rear('89): 6.5
    Rear('90): 4x6, 5x7, 5.25, 6.5 (thanks to anomaly)
    Rear('91, '92): 4x6

Front mounting depth:
    (all years): 2 1/8"
    If you must have deeper speakers, there is a little bit of space in front if you have a good spacer. +

2nd Gen(93-94)
    Front: 5.25
    Rear: 5x7/6x8*

2nd Gen(95+)
    Front: 6.5
    Rear: 5x7/6x8*

front mounting depth
    (all years): Slightly greater than 2 1/8. I say this because the depth for 1st gens is known. When I had my '91 sometimes the speakers would rub the windows when they were rolled down. With the same speakers int my 95, they only touch the windows if the door is slammed when the windows are down. Take caution though, as this can cause damage to windows and/or tint.+

On factory amps:
    First Generation Probes with premium sound have a small factory amp under the front passenger seat. Second gens with premium sound** have an amp behind the plastic in the forward section of the trunk on the passenger side.

*5x7 and 6x8 have the same size mounting hardware. The only reason for the different sizes is manufacturer preference. 6x9's will fit in the 2nd gen rear spots, but it requires a bit of cutting of the metal(also anybody who has pics of installed 6x9's and the cutting required, please post!).

**It's possible to have a factory amp without having premium sound

+this is from the back of the mounting plate to the tip of the magnet. Sometimes manufacturers list the depth this way, sometimes they list it as from tip of the tweeter to the tip of the magnet. The best way is always to measure yourself, both the cars allowances and the prospective speakers dimensions.
    Last edited by backseat_driver; March 21, 2007, 02:12 PM.
    I Hope I'm there when there's nothing left to hate.

my rear's on my 89 lx are 5.25

Comment

speakers

i got four new Pioneer speakers from Walmart (cheapest price) ...i think they were 6X8s in the rear passenger compartment and 5.25 rounds in the doors...been awhile...big improvement in sound but now i need a higher powered cd player/ am/fm receiver at least 50 watts and higher recommended ...i think my Pioneer cd player is only 40 watt and could use more volume ...there is less distortion and the sound quality is way improved..the rears were a pain in the ass to change out removing the panels etc.
      Last edited by neilh2o; September 7, 2006, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilh2o
        i got four new Pioneer speakers from Walmart (cheapest price) ...i think they were 6X8s in the rear passenger compartment and 5.25 rounds in the doors...been awhile...big improvement in sound but now i need a higher powered cd player/ am/fm receiver at least 50 watts and higher recommended ...i think my Pioneer cd player is only 40 watt and could use more volume ...there is less distortion and the sound quality is way improved..the rears were a pain in the ass to change out removing the panels etc.
        What year is your car? Did you have trouble with fitment? Do you still have the the boxes for them? It'd be great to get some mounting depth info for this.

Comment

i have 6x9s in the rear of my 95.... you can cut the metal if you would like... but if you have some kind of seal around the mounting area where the screws go in the metal.... it will seal with just the screws. i dont have pics yet but i will be sure to get yall some if you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by 95ChameleonPGT
            i have 6x9s in the rear of my 95.... you can cut the metal if you would like... but if you have some kind of seal around the mounting area where the screws go in the metal.... it will seal with just the screws. i dont have pics yet but i will be sure to get yall some if you would like.
            Pics would be super. I know most people who want 6x9's in the back usually just cut up the metal. If yours works well, then it may save a lot of people some trouble in the future.

Comment

I actually have some 6 inch woofers in my rear!
              They arent great, they are crappy Pyles, but never the less they sound decent with the amp. Combine that with my two 12's and my componants and I think they will do.
              Artist, Writer, Photographer, Video Producer, Daddy!

Official Facebook page for Me, Myself and I

Comment

Originally posted by CrimSon_ReD
                I actually have some 6 inch woofers in my rear!
                They arent great, they are crappy Pyles, but never the less they sound decent with the amp. Combine that with my two 12's and my componants and I think they will do.
                Any pics? Also do you know the depth of those 6" woofers? I was thinking about some, to replace my 5x7s once I get a 4ch amp.

Comment

I fit 6.5's in the front of my 93 no problem. Had to drill different holes, but beyond that there was no problem. I had some Polk 6.5's in there originally, and now I have some Infinity Reference 6.5's.
                  '93 Rio Red PGT - Dead and in the garage
                  '93 Silver PGT - Temperamental and heavily modified
                  '07 Black A4 - A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by s8n
                    I fit 6.5's in the front of my 93 no problem. Had to drill different holes, but beyond that there was no problem. I had some Polk 6.5's in there originally, and now I have some Infinity Reference 6.5's.
                    Mine came with 6.5's in the front, albeit they were aftermarket they were using stock mounting holes.
                    my email address is NOT working

Comment

Okay...wtf...Car audio confuses me enough as is, everyone telling me different sizes is making my head spin.

WHAT SIZE SPEAKERS ARE SUPPOSED TO GO IN THE FRONT?! 5.25 or 6.5?! I am so confused...

Also, when I buy speakers is the 200w it's saying they are a combo of both speakers (2x100w) or are each speaker 200w?

Moreover, if the speakers are around 200-250w what size sterio should I get? The one I want on crutchfield is 22w rms and 50wx4 peak. Will that work for all four speakers?

Even more, if I get a sub(s) will I need an amp?

Sorry I ask so many questions, I just suck at this portion of cars.

BTW, mine is a 1993 Base
                      My Probe on CarDomain.com

Comment

Originally posted by mistaWAC
                        Okay...wtf...Car audio confuses me enough as is, everyone telling me different sizes is making my head spin.

WHAT SIZE SPEAKERS ARE SUPPOSED TO GO IN THE FRONT?! 5.25 or 6.5?! I am so confused...

BTW, mine is a 1993 Base
                        Check the list at the top. Your front speakers should be 5.25's

The rest of your questions can be answered by searching around(specifically on the product specifications of the speakers you're asking about).

Comment

my first gen GL has the factory amp, does that mean my rears are 6.5?
                          1991 Ford Probe GL *UPDATED 01-16-06* 6-11-07...T-boned and totaled.

'85 Jeep CJ7

Looking for another Probe.

Comment

Originally posted by dead_beat_89
                            my first gen GL has the factory amp, does that mean my rears are 6.5?
                            According to what I found on here and a few other sites, yes. It would be great, though, if you could document what your specific car has for the sake of this thread.

Comment

I'll let you guys know when I replace them.
                              1991 Ford Probe GL *UPDATED 01-16-06* 6-11-07...T-boned and totaled.

'85 Jeep CJ7

Looking for another Probe.

Comment

Working...
                              X