Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a KLZE DISTY with HEI , anyone intersted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did this and i have no spark or somtimes intermintand ramndom spark
    ~Dustin~Infantry leads the way!
    Lazi Ramadi
    "But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." William Butler Yeats
    Race PGT aka "Spidey" Blue PGT aka "the anti-spidey" White PGT Rio-Red PGT Budget Hotrod project '02 Jeep Jeep play-thing

Comment

Originally posted by showngo
      i did this and i have no spark or somtimes intermintand ramndom spark

I wish I could be more help Dustin, but i havent modded a 1995 this way, i dont think I have read about anyone who has.

Do you have any pics/schematics of the disty plugs for a 1995?

Comment

Originally posted by Mbolin5
        I wish I could be more help Dustin, but i havent modded a 1995 this way, i dont think I have read about anyone who has.

Do you have any pics/schematics of the disty plugs for a 1995?

Yup .. Thank fastest95pgt for hosting the pic !!
        Check out the New Forum For:
        Indy Mazda Owners Club

Comment

Cool, thanks for the schematics! after looking at those, it looks like everything should go per the schematic, except the crank position wire on the ze disty...you will have nothing conected to that wire as the 95+ disty harness doesnt use the sensor in the disty.

so, if you hook this up following the descriptions of the plugs on the schematic, it should work.

Comment

Here is a schematic for a 1995 PGT running the klze disty, and the HEI W/ MSD Blaster 2 coil.

I hooked this up last night, and tried it out on a 1995 pgt, works great!

1995 PGT KLZE Disty Schematic

I will post two more drawing too, showing the pinout of the 1995 disty plugs, and the 4 pin klze disty plug. They will be up in a few minutes.

I will update the mainhow-to thread in the engine electronics forum too, as i have cleaned up my old schematic drawings...a bunch!

Okay, here is the pin out for the 1995 disty plugs HERE

Here is the pin-out for the 4 pin klze disty Here

I cleaned up the schematic for the 1993-1994 too, this one is much better than the old one.
            '93-'94 KLZE Disty Schematic

This is a schematic for a 1993-1994 KLZE disty, HEI, external coil, MSD 6A. ZEDISTY with MSD
            Last edited by Mbolin5; August 15, 2006, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Alright well i just finished this mod....and the car started up right away.....

Some things that i noticed though..

my CEL is on all the time now
              If i floor the car it seems to fall right on its face....like it is missing

And on the ZE disty...there is a knob on the top that you can turn....what does that do?

Alright well otherwise im very happy with the results.

Thanks alot

Jim
              93 Probe GT - True KLZE w/31 Cams, Borla, AWR, Clutchmasters Stage II-R, MX-3 Flywheel, Testpipe, Hotshot CAI, Clear Corners, ZE Disty w/ Blaster 2 and HEI, SS Headers, Pacesetter STS
              Saints 13-3 Super Bowl XLIV Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Adidasnk12
                Alright well i just finished this mod....and the car started up right away.....

Some things that i noticed though..

my CEL is on all the time now
                If i floor the car it seems to fall right on its face....like it is missing

And on the ZE disty...there is a knob on the top that you can turn....what does that do?

Alright well otherwise im very happy with the results.

Thanks alot

Jim
                Jim, which diagram did you use to connect things? If you used the 1995 diagram, and you are getting a cell for a missing cps...then the ecm is using the crank angle sensor(down on the ballancer) to fire, and giving you the cell.....if you dont have the cps connected on the ze disty, connect that, and that cel will go away, plus it will be a little easier to start. Make sure pin 3 on the ze disty is conected to pin #3 on the 6 pin connector, those are the CPS connections

Oh, the knob thing is supposed to be a one-way vent to allow moister to escape the disty.

Comment

Just tried this on a a '94 and no start. I'm not getting any spark from the coil. Does it have to be a Blaster Coil? I just used a $15 cheapo from autozone. I wasn't sure how to check power up to the coil. I assumed how the test light to the negative and positve of the coil and turn the ignition on. Nothing. Hooked light to the positive and a seperate ground off the coil and it came on with the ignition. Does this mean I've got a bad ground to the coil, assuming that the Neg. is a ground.

I know I've got everything hooked up right because I double and triple checked everything mainly because I wasn't doing it to my car.

By the way, the car ran fine before this. I just needed a disty and told him I'd hook up his ZE disty if he gave me his. Should I just hook his stock disty back up and forget about it?
                  1995 Lincoln Mark VIII
                  I'm getting old... my sports car has air ride.

Comment

I love this thread, it should be Archived.......

Why don't we have a electronic forum archive?
                    ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                    ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                    ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

good idea...i'll ask Damon about it.
                      I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
                      92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Comment

Originally posted by Workman
                        Just tried this on a a '94 and no start. I'm not getting any spark from the coil. Does it have to be a Blaster Coil? I just used a $15 cheapo from autozone. I wasn't sure how to check power up to the coil. I assumed how the test light to the negative and positve of the coil and turn the ignition on. Nothing. Hooked light to the positive and a seperate ground off the coil and it came on with the ignition. Does this mean I've got a bad ground to the coil, assuming that the Neg. is a ground.

I know I've got everything hooked up right because I double and triple checked everything mainly because I wasn't doing it to my car.

By the way, the car ran fine before this. I just needed a disty and told him I'd hook up his ZE disty if he gave me his. Should I just hook his stock disty back up and forget about it?
                        Its possible the coil is not compatible that you used. What is from exactly? A friend of mine tried to use some Bosh 12 V coils, and they would not work, we swapped in a 12 coil from a 1967 chevy and all was good.

But, it really sounds like you have other issues, since you have no power the the coil. With the kew on you should have 12 vdc acros the plus and minus terminals on the coil.

If you dont, something is wired incorrectly!

Comment

Okay, so I'm reading up on modifications, I finally bought the probe off of my buddy and it already has the KLZE swap and running strong. to do the MSD ignition and coil and the HEI unit modification, does this require that the dizzy cap has a hole drilled for the power tower? I also snagged the spare engine, dizzy cover, etc for parts, so if i was going to do the swap, i'd prefer to modify the spare cap if its possible to use it. correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the old cap work on the KLZE now if i swapped in the MSD setup? i would like to be able to undo the modifications if need be, and since demo derbys are so popular here, performance parts often times end up at the junkyard, i've done a ton of reading, but i'm still foggy on those points...
                          '93 Ford Probe GT, KLZE
                          "its not custom if you ordered it..."

Comment

Mbolin5, you are a Probe Rockstar for drawing up this shit! Just for clarification, I got a spare KLDE disty cover laying around new in the box, I can mod that with the MSD power power tower and use that with my KLZE distributor?
                            1994 Ford Probe GT Rio Red MTX "Christine"
                            KL-ZE swap, Xtremethings ECU, Fram Cold Air Intake, Tru-Bendz 2.5" SS Exaust, Maniac Electric Motors 140 amp alternator, Alpine-Sony-Blaupunk Stereo

Comment

Working...
                            X