No announcement yet.

DID YOU KNOW??? 93-95 to 96-97 Probe GT differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thread was originally only about the differences of 93-95 to 96-97, but since everyone listing year to year changes, im going to list up the list ive come up with over the past two years, this pulled from the wikipedia article which i wrote.

The 1994 Ford Probe becomes one of the first production cars to have dual air bags as standard equipment
    The dashboard gets a major overhaul. It now used completely different materials, and the right side is redesigned to house a passenger air bag
    Ford introduces the Probe in the European market
    Fog lights are slightly redesigned and now made by a different company
    The stripe on the dashboard is gone, but remains on the interior panels
    The stripe color on Probe GT's door panels are changed from red to the color of the car's interior
    A few lights on the instrument cluster have a new look
    New Ford CD4E automatic transaxle for base and SE models
    Air conditioning units are switched from R-12 to R-134A
    "V6 DOHC 24 VALVE" emblem on engine intake manifold is no longer indented into the manifold and is now raised
    As a cost cutting move, the ability to keep Probe's pop up headlights visible (without the lights being on) is removed
    Fog light button on GT's is slightly redesigned

Lear Seating Corporation receives Ford's "Most Valued Supplier" award for the manufacturing of the seats in the Probe
    Redesigned tail lights; the 4-cylinder models are outlined in black, the GT's are outlined in red
    SE becomes a trim level/model
    SE model no longer has the GT's ground effects/side skirts
    New alloy wheels for SE and GT (3 spoke 15" directional for SE, 5 spoke 16" directional "swirlies" for GT)
    Two interior colors are dropped; Red, and blue
    Interior panels no longer have a stripe on them
    Door panels are redesigned and are now a one piece design. GT models get a cloth or leather insert on the door panels.
    Cloth seats get new fabric that have a unique "spider web" pattern
    GT models get the option of tan/saddle leather interior
    Cup holders are slightly redesigned
    GT models receive red center reflector with 'GT' logo between tail lights. License plate indent moved down onto bumper.
    GT decal on rear bumper replaced with metal '24v' badge
    Rear bumper is redesigned
    Exterior mirrors are redesigned
    Heated exterior mirrors option is dropped
    Graphic equalizer is dropped

"PROBE" badge stamped on rear windows is gone
    Base model dropped; SE is now the standard model
    Probe GT's get the 1995 base/SE's black outlined tails
    Illuminated exterior door locks are dropped
    Tan/saddle color interiors are now available in cloth
    Spoilers are redesigned
    Floor lighting is dropped
    "GT" center reflector above bumper on GT models is now black
    Probe GT gets more refined suspension to improve ride. Ride height is higher as a result of this change
    Cloth seats are slightly restyled and get new fabric
    Probe GT now has spoilers standard
    Rear seats are redesigned
    Probe GT's steering wheel is now wrapped in a different type of leather
    New seat belts with automatic locking retractors
    Rear windshield wiper dropped as an option
    OBD-II compliant

SE model is dropped ; base model returns and has the GT's front bumper
    Cloth/leather inserts on GT door panels are removed
    Base models get Mazda 626 wheel covers with 15" 3 spoke directional alloys from 95 and 96 Probe SE optional
    Rear windshield wiper returns as an option
    ABS is no longer standard on GT models and is now an option
    GT logos behind the front wheel wells have new letter styling
    Probe GT no longer has "24v" badge beside the "PROBE" badge
    Side door intrusion beams redesigned to meet 1997 Federal Side Impact Standards
    GTS appearance package added to the GT's option list
    Last year for the Probe, with the last Probe being manufactured on June 20, 1997
    Licensed car dealer & Probe addict [former owner of 17 Probe GT & 2 Probe SE]
    Current KL's: 93 Probe GT, 94 Probe GT, 95 Probe GT, 95 626 LX V6 (all 5 spds)

Comment

Originally posted by spada View Post
      When did they get rid of the second coolant temp sensor? Wasn't one only used for the dash, and the other one for the ECU? Or was it one was used for the cooling fan operation only????
      93 was the only year with two temp sensors the 94+ only used the one sensor.
      My '97 GTS in its prime
      New GTS Stripped and gutted rebuild from ground up.
      2000 Explorer XLS 2 inch lift 32 inch BFG's My Wifes Daily

Comment

Originally posted by FPGT24 View Post
        @supersquid

I just picked up a new 97 yesterday, gonna have to put straight piping on it to make it sound like my 95 does. do you suggest changing to a high flow cat as well? i want to do anything possible to make it much louder....love insanely loud exhaust and love pissing off the neighbors lol.
        For loud....the cat doesn't matter...it's the resonator that does the trick. Remove the resonator and put on a good performance muffler...I suggest a Hooker Aero Chamber which will deepen the exhaust note and remove some of the highs. Also, it'll drone once you get to higher highway speeds....be ready to need earplugs.

Originally posted by spada View Post
        Woah, I always wondered why the seats in my 95 GT were a lot harder than the 94 seats.
        I'm going to just color Spada's questions for answers.

Two different pistons, some 93's being different. I haven't played around with internals of a KL in a while, but I vaguely recall different stampings and a flatter top on some 93 pistons.

They also had a different dome design on the early engines....they discovered after a while carbon build up would occur so they changed the design to negate the carbon build up.

Some of the 94 disty's actually had the newer style ignitor from the 95 distys. Then there's the 16mm or 32mm water pump pulley hole, don't some 94's still have the 16mm center?

It could also be that replacement disty's had the better ignitor. The water pumps were something that they figured out the problem and replaced...don't know when the actual new pumps started being used.

The lack of the NE1 crankshaft sensor in the 95+.

Another one of those they discovered it wasn't needed so they dropped it.

The 95+ have a "low washer fluid" sensor and light

I'm pretty sure my 94 has this feature and so did my 93. Also, my 90 has it and it's stuck ON.

The 96 and 97 GT's have a schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Fuel pressure testing...probably added because of OBDII and most other cars were starting to be equipped with them.

The different intake manifolds, some having the raised V6 emblem area, some being depressed into the manifold. The raised emblem area being more rare.... I've never been able to figure out the pattern or reason for this, so if anyone can shed some light on that.

I'm pretty sure the answer above is correct on this one.

Then there's the "updated" rear brake calipers from 95+, but they are all still prone to having the E-brake lever seize up.

I'm still rocking whatever calipers were on my car when I got it....and they've never seized. I think it's more a lack of use coupled with rust build up in some climates that cause it the most....spraying PB blaster on them helps free them and moving them back and forth to clean the rust with a screw driver has kept us from getting new ones a few times.

side door molding lengths.....the 96 and 97 molding doesn't cover the fender, and don't some 97's not even have any door moldings at all?

I haven't paid attention to this. Some of them could be missing due to repaints and others are missing because the owners didn't like them and removed them.

When did they get rid of the second coolant temp sensor? Wasn't one only used for the dash, and the other one for the ECU? Or was it one was used for the cooling fan operation only????

93 model year had THREE temp sensors. All other years have two. One gives the temp for the dash, one gives temp to the ECU. The ECU controls the fans. The 93 second ECU one also worked the fans...and if the ECU didn't see both (mainly the second one) it would run the fans as a fail safe.

Can someone please answer my questions. ONLY if you for sure know the answer. Like I said I've been away from the engine for a couple years, BUT, I now have an mx-3 that I just megasquirted so of course I'll be swapping in a KL sooner or later.

PGT's shouldn't be separated in 93-95 and 96-97 groups. More accurate would be 93-94, 95, 96-97. The 95 was quite different, and then the 96 was different again.
        [/QUOTE]
        '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
        '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
        '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

I don't know about the other questions but the door moldings are indeed different between years. My dates are off I'm sure but I want to say 95-97 had the shorter moldings that do not go onto the fender. When we repainted my 93 I sources moldings from a 97 in the yard for this very reason.
          1996 PGT atx...for now, Intake, exhaust, yonaka coilovers http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701306455...wrecked, put back to stock, Sold

1994 PGT MTX...http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701309068

Comment

about your list....

the Graphic Equalizer was pretty much standard equipment on the 93 model year....not sure if it wasn't included on radios without cassette. In 94, it was optional and not installed very often.

In 94 they added an optional spoiler. If my information is correct, the 93's had no spoiler option from the factory. The dealers added a 3 piece spoiler as an option. These 3 piece spoilers were removed from dealer options in 94...as I've never heard of anyone with a 94 up coming from the dealer with the 3 piece.

Ford in 93 wired just about every car with a harness that had the place for every option. The keyless remote control was wired into the cars even and sold as a dealer upgrade. Basically, you paid to get the remotes. If the car was coming with the rear defroster, it came with heated mirrors. As the model years went on, Ford decided to cut costs and not wire the cars for everything. They also removed the theater lighting when you shut the doors. (theater lighting was the lights would slowly dim instead of just going off) I think theater lighting was dropped with the 95 model year...someone with a 95 can confirm.
            '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
            '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs

Comment

My 97 has theater lighting. It doesn't work because I have LEDs, but it is there.
              1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

hmmm....I know of a 97 GTS that came ATX w/ABS that doesn't have theater lighting....maybe it was an option after a certain year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaun708 View Post
                  I don't know about the other questions but the door moldings are indeed different between years. My dates are off I'm sure but I want to say 95-97 had the shorter moldings that do not go onto the fender. When we repainted my 93 I sources moldings from a 97 in the yard for this very reason.
                  the 95 definitely does have the longer ding guards. every single one of the 95's i have had have it. my teal mist 95 gt has it. most 95 gt's have door ding guards. just passed a vibrant white 95 gt earlier that had them too.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Originally posted by SuperSquid View Post
                  about your list....

the Graphic Equalizer was pretty much standard equipment on the 93 model year....not sure if it wasn't included on radios without cassette. In 94, it was optional and not installed very often.

In 94 they added an optional spoiler. If my information is correct, the 93's had no spoiler option from the factory. The dealers added a 3 piece spoiler as an option. These 3 piece spoilers were removed from dealer options in 94...as I've never heard of anyone with a 94 up coming from the dealer with the 3 piece.

They also removed the theater lighting when you shut the doors. (theater lighting was the lights would slowly dim instead of just going off) I think theater lighting was dropped with the 95 model year...someone with a 95 can confirm.
                  1. No....many of my fellow Probe friends have had alot of 93's and none of them had the graphic equalizer. ive had a few 93's too, none of them had it. the one 94 that i had did, and i tore it out its in my 95 gt for looks.

2. No again. there were many different styled spoilers optional for the 93's. there was a 3 piece wing, and 2 diff style one piece. You are right the 94's did not have the 3 piece.

3. No once again. I dont think they ever dropped that because my 95 and 97 both have the theater lighting.
                  Licensed car dealer & Probe addict [former owner of 17 Probe GT & 2 Probe SE]
                  Current KL's: 93 Probe GT, 94 Probe GT, 95 Probe GT, 95 626 LX V6 (all 5 spds)

Comment

maybe it's just the ones in Florida....the 93's I've seen had them. I haven't seen the 2 different style one piece on a 93. As I said above...the 97 GTS didn't have it and I know a 96 didn't have it. Also, the 96 base I had didn't have it.

Comment

Mu 94 had a block heater....maybe the rarest option of them all here in the united states. I know Canadian probes had them. I kept it off my motor.
                      1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
                      2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                      2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Block heaters are typically a dealer installed option.
                        PaTricK
                        ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

they should have made a sporty version of the probe GT
                          it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Man View Post
                            they should have made a sporty version of the probe GT
                            lolwut?
                            1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
                            2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                            2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

something they did add...single side unlock to the key fob. 93/94 didn't have it, I know 96 base had it....this is when you press the key fob it only unlocks driver side unless you press twice.

Comment

My GTS has single side unlock and a block heater.
                                1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

Working...
                                X