Restoration of a Legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of a Legend

This car was one of the first fully built Probes on the scene and set the standards for quite a few Probes that have followed over the years. It was originally built by Rafi Racing (RR Racing). Rafi put a lot of work into this beauty.

So now the challenge is to restore it to it's original grandeur (or slightly better). To start with -here are a few photos from the past:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 29, 2018, 01:37 PM.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

It begins

I had originally wanted to run this beauty at Bonneville. Then I came to my senses and realized that I would not be doing it justice. So now I am pumped up about restoring it somewhat close to what it originally was. I have spent many years now collecting interiors for it. I also stored up a lot of other goodies.

I will be posting lots of photos -probably more photos than I have ever done before on any project car. I have always hated in the past when I have not had enough photos (or any) of the "Before condition" and not enough of the "in between" ones either. This one will have them all. I already have taken several hundred and so there is no shortage. I plan to cover everything so that it might help others to get any ideas -much like the original car did for me.

I plan to call Rafi this weekend to get as much of the history of the car as I can. I will update the thread with what I can derive from him. Perhaps he may even show up here to comment. I would like that!

P.S. Also -please keep this thread clean. I want to also set standards of how clean we can keep discussions. No badgering. No bad comments about others here -similar to comments said before when the Blue Probe has come up in discussion. I plan to keep things clean myself -so follow my lead and lets show people how respectable the Probe family can be!
    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 28, 2018, 06:05 PM.
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Oooh another supercharged Probe, nice! I'd love to see this car run soon, in the very least to show that the Probe isn't dead just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by njintau_fsd View Post
        Oooh another supercharged Probe, nice! I'd love to see this car run soon, in the very least to show that the Probe isn't dead just yet.
        It will be a little while (to say the least). I have not posted photos of the condition of it as it is now -but I will soon. It was nearly a shell when I got it -except for a bad short block and bad transmission under the hood. There were no heads, no supercharger, no goodies -all gone!. The wiring harness was hacked out of it everywhere.

Here are some pics of the transformation from RR to XT:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 28, 2018, 06:08 PM.
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

You should test the f40 trans on this and turn up 600 hp. Otherwise....
          1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
          1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
          2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
          2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
          1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
            You should test the f40 trans on this and turn up 600 hp. Otherwise....
            I might be planning to see how much I can squeeze out of it. But in the end -it will likely end up with a M62 setup somewhat similar to what was in it in the early years. The purple car will probably see 600.

Here are some more pics of the transformation:

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 28, 2018, 06:15 PM.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

Always loved that car. Looking forward to see it resurrected. If you lose interest, I'll take it off your hands
              Last edited by I58858543; July 11, 2015, 06:56 PM.
              95 PGT Black, 93 PGT Black, 97 PGT Red (enduro car)
              07 MS6 Black, 06 MS6 White (wife's car)

Comment

One of the sad things I found:

And unfortunately -there was a lot of this. So I had to acquire an entire harness. I was almost starting to think that I would never get one because they never come to the yards any more. I finally lucked out and a 93 manual trans GT came in and so I completely stripped it.

The OEM sound deading mat was all cracked and so:

I reconditioned a huge batch of bolts by wire wheeling them and then sending them off for new zinc plating. I want every piece to be like new (or as close as possible)

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 28, 2018, 06:37 PM.
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

Wow, this is one clean shell! Do you know how many miles it has seen?
                  MX-6 DE-T // Parting out...

Comment

Originally posted by poissonn View Post
                    Wow, this is one clean shell! Do you know how many miles it has seen?
                    30,000 miles!

Although -the actual miles is now irrelevant because in Alabama when a car goes over 20 and you transfer a title -it becomes what they call "Exempt" under the odometer reading. And also -when I got the car -there was no instrument cluster and so there would be no way to prove anything. So it will just be a very nice specimen of a Probe!
                    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 11, 2015, 08:25 PM.
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Nice car and lots of memories from back when I got into Probes.

+1

Also nice to see another m62! Mine is going in the AC location though...
                      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Good save brother.
                        Last edited by yellowrob; July 12, 2015, 02:02 PM.
                        Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
                          ...nice to see another m62! Mine is going in the AC location though...
                          I think I am going to stick with the battery location to keep it somewhat like originally built -except for -the addition of an intercooler. I plan to keep the piping as short as possible to get the most out of it.
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

What is RR racing btw?
                            Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Florida Atlantic Blue, isn't that the color name? It's lovely. I'm excited it's in your hands. Return it to it's former glory.
                              My 93GT, Wendy - the oldest second gen Probe in the U.S. still on the road.

Forever in search of Enkei Shoguns.

Comment

Working...
                              X