Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I/How To Bypass The Factory Amp

Do I have to bypass the factory amp??
    Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 08:11 AM.

Wow, that was vague.

I think I know what you mean though. It depends on what power rating the factory speakers can handle. I don't know what that is.

Bypassing the amp is really easy. Just get a wiring harness. Crutchfield has them, and I'd guess a lot of stereo places do too.

Comment

I saw an improvement when I bypassed my factory amp. I bought an Alpine CDA-7875 that puts out 60x4 peak. The factory amp puts out about 15x4 RMS, so it was bogging me down quite a bit. You don't have to tear your car apart to get to the amp, it's located under your rear passanger side speaker. To remove the rear passanger side pannel fold your back seat down. There will be three plastic connectors to remove on the side, one under the seat belt cover, and a screw above the three plastic connectors. I got the bypass kit at my local stereo shop for $20.
      Bill's '95 PGT died 11/21/03
      Don't drink and drive

Comment

If I remember correctly you need to bypass the amp or by a harness where you can use the factory amp.

I personally recommend to bypass that factory amp! It isn't very good. It is some work to get in there and bypass it but it will be worth it. Especially, if you have a decent head.

B
        1993 Probe GT, Red, 5-Speed MTX, NEW A/C!

Kenwood KDC-215S, Kenwood 6.5's, Pioneer 6X8's and Kicker Freeair 6.5 SUB!

Everything is For Sale, including the Probe!

Comment

No, just make sure you get the right harness. There are two kinds of pre-amp adapters. One uses spkr wire inputs from your radio. The second uses RCA front and rear inputs from your radio. Using your RCA's from your radio will give better sound quality
          93pgt, msd, ngk, eibach ground control, tokico, clutch master, nos,

Comment

most headunits put out more powr than the stock amp. u bypass it using a harness just to retain the wiring. if you want to run your own wires, then you don't need to use a harness. just discard it.

metra has what you need on their site.

cheers!
            Once upon a time i had a 1995 PROBE AKA MAGIC JOHNSON • Grand Touring • MTX • White/Tan leather • Rockford Fosgate Sub • Rockford Fosgate 300S Amp • JBL GTO 620 • Clarion ProAudio • Magnum Extreme • NGK • Redline MT-90 • Mobil1 • Potenza RE950 • Eibach Pro Kit • FSTB • Vibrant Performance Muffler • Twin SS Riceboy Tips • 2.5" Piping • Brembo X-drilled • Red Calipers •

http://www.probedb.co.uk/display.php?clubid=&id=54

Comment

the quality of that amp is terrible, bypass it and you will be happier. I think it does like 13w x 4

Comment

heh heh heh

yeah, something pethetic like that... new headunits push a lot better.

BUT what about the factory sub???

is the sub amp connected to the speaker amp?
                Once upon a time i had a 1995 PROBE AKA MAGIC JOHNSON • Grand Touring • MTX • White/Tan leather • Rockford Fosgate Sub • Rockford Fosgate 300S Amp • JBL GTO 620 • Clarion ProAudio • Magnum Extreme • NGK • Redline MT-90 • Mobil1 • Potenza RE950 • Eibach Pro Kit • FSTB • Vibrant Performance Muffler • Twin SS Riceboy Tips • 2.5" Piping • Brembo X-drilled • Red Calipers •

http://www.probedb.co.uk/display.php?clubid=&id=54

Comment

On Friday July 13, 2001 4:05 AM, effeddex wrote:
                  heh heh heh

yeah, something pethetic like that... new headunits push a lot better.

BUT what about the factory sub???

is the sub amp connected to the speaker amp?
                  If I remember correctly the separate sub amp is under the passenger side rear seat..

B

1993 Probe GT, Red, 5-Speed MTX, NEW A/C!

Kenwood KDC-215S, Kenwood 6.5's, Pioneer 6X8's and Kicker Freeair 6.5 SUB!

Everything is For Sale, including the Probe!

Comment

i just did my system.... a great piece of advice is to totally rip out the amplifer. i have a 94 probe and u have to take of all the panels from the trunk to the side they are all connected together (they overlap each other so there are less seems). after ripping out the amp i recommend running new wire 14 guage (the 60x4 has a greater current push probably around 24-27 watts rms) so it needs thicker gauge, new speakers definitely need better wiring too. Dont take the lazy way out i was about to do that when i got it from crutchfield just go thru with it.
                    I HATE CIVICS AND INTEGRAS ESPICALLY CIVICS BECAUSE THEIR DRIVERS HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THERE ASSES

Comment

Working...
                    X