93 Base intermittently stuttering hesitating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Base intermittently stuttering hesitating

Hey guys, I have a 93 Base MTX that has recently begun intermittently idling very poorly, at times almost stalling. When I give it gas when its like this it will stutter badly and have extremely poor acceleration like its running on 3 cylinders and produce a smell that I can only describe that of a burnt match. When it first started usually revving it up to about 2000-2500 would cause the stuttering to go away, but now when it occurs it seems like the problem remains for the entirety of the powerband. It happens pretty much without warning but usually after ive been gassing it pretty hard, coming to a stoplight and then starting off from the light. Sometimes I notice it missing slightly even when the stuttering problem isnt occuring. A little backstory I had a check engine light come on about 2 weeks prior to this starting, however this code cleared itself. Recently I took it to a friends shop and they pulled the codes for me. There were indeed no current codes but the one in the history stated "Insufficient flow of EGR" The mechanic said that insufficient in the case of the EGR meant no flow. However at the time of the test (naturally) the car ran fine. The cap and rotor and plug wires as well as the fuel filter were changed probably 20-30k ago. Spark plugs were changed a few months ago, as well as the air filter. The car currently has 87k on it. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

my 94 auto 2.0 is having sputeering acceleration problems.....if the weather gets above 5 degrees tomorrow, i may try cleaning my MAF.
    "94" Base with $hitty cd4e Tranny (116,400)
    "Hayden 404"
    Drives like a champ though.
    "JVC Mp3"

Comment

Anyone else? I really need some advice and input.

Comment

Yes clean your MAF...thats you problem i'd bet.
        http://home.comcast.net/~nolanspawn/maf.htm

Josh
        Silver 2011 5.7L Toyota Tundra CrewMax
        Former Owner of The Fastest N/A 2.0 Probe

Comment

Cleaned my MAF that wasnt the problem though the filliments were dirty. Took it by friends mechanic and he checked out the plugs, wires and cap and rotor and he said they all needed replacing (the plugs because they were champion and he said champions sucked in fords), but sine he put everything back together again the cars been ok, knock on wood.

Comment

Check out my thread and some of the things I've done. They haven't fixed the problem yet, but at least I've isolated it. Maybe you can find the fix.

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/show...did=1701072521
            95 Black SE ATX. 3" HD CAI. Hella FF50 Driving lights, 10% tints, Euro clears.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenn
              Check out my thread and some of the things I've done. They haven't fixed the problem yet, but at least I've isolated it. Maybe you can find the fix.

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/show...did=1701072521
              Your thread made for an interesting read, you are one dedicated prober I can't really afford to put 9/10 of the cars resale value into fixing it LOL. I am hoping the problem is just the crappy plugs or wires/cap/rotor. I really don't even want to do that, I think I might just get another car if it starts acting up again. Ran pretty well after my friends mechanic tweaked the plugs (regapped and reinstalled) But the CEL bothers me. Random insufficient flow of EGR doesnt sound like fun times. It's been a pretty good car but its got so many little things wrong with it now that constantly bug me, I think it may be time to throw in the towel. Good luck on yours though and I'll keep an eye on your thread.

Comment

If it seems to be worse if you sit at an idle for a minute or 2 then clean the idle air control valve.... Sounds like what mine's doing, I'll let you know if it works or not... If it was the MAF sensor wouldn't it kill right when the car starts? When I had to replace mine that's what it did at least...
                Nitrous is like a hot chic with a std, you know you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences.
                '95 Probe GT~ Hotshot headers, Greddy Cat-back, UDP, Hotshot CAI, blah blah blah
                '87 Mustang GT~ Work in progress
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/etherealpsewi

Comment

Ok, cleaned the IAC to no avail, tomorrow it gets a FULL tune-up and I'm goin through the CELs, could just be the PCV or a dirty mass air, but at this point it's startin to get on my nerves!!!!!!!
                  Nitrous is like a hot chic with a std, you know you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences.
                  '95 Probe GT~ Hotshot headers, Greddy Cat-back, UDP, Hotshot CAI, blah blah blah
                  '87 Mustang GT~ Work in progress
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/etherealpsewi

Comment

I admire your enthusiasm. I lost mine about 2 years ago when I did just about everything from cleaning the MAF to replacing injectors. Now I just live with the problem.

Comment

Mine starting doing it right after I rebuilt the engine. Since that time I have replaced the plugs, wires, and IAC valve with all new ones. I replaced the disty and cap when I rebuild the engine. I just replaced the IAC 3 days ago. Does it need time to recalibrate the computer? It has gotten better, but I want to see what my plugs look like again too. I may eed to replace them again after all the time of crappy idle. Could it maybe be that when I had Ford time it, it sits at 8 degrees and that is the best I can get it without pulling the disty. I am lost. I am going to check my plugs again and reset the computer and see what happens.
                      --Will--

Shit happens when you party naked

My Cardomain Page

Comment

Well after replacing the plugs that were black it runs smoother than ever. I hope this is the permanent solution and not a temporary one.
                        --Will--

Shit happens when you party naked

My Cardomain Page

Comment

Originally posted by Wildstar
                          Well after replacing the plugs that were black it runs smoother than ever. I hope this is the permanent solution and not a temporary one.
                          Congrats! I hope so too. Just keep an eye out. After I performed a full tuneup, she ran much better. Slowly over time the hesitation and misfiring began coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildstar
                            unfortunately, for me, this was only a temporary fix.
                            91 Talon Tsi AWD - 16g turbo @ 15psi
                            94 Talon Tsi AWD - 2.3L stroker, Garret T70 turbo, Eagle H-beams, Ross racing pistons, knifed 4G64 crank, 3" GM MAF w/translator, South Florida header, Tial wastegate, SBR 24"x12'x3.5" FMIC, Walbro 255, RC 880 injectors...more coming

Comment

Working...
                            X