Misfire misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfire misfire

On my 97 its seems to be missing badly...n the number 2 cyliner we pulled the plug and it didnt do anything, then did a compression test and that was good.....I think its a bad fuel injector but idk....anybody have anything??

Could be a bad plug wire or a bad distributor cap assuming that the plug itself is good. I assume you did a cylinder balance test and had no rpm drop when you unplugged cylinder #2. Usually good compression indicates that the mechanicals are good so you need to figure if you have fuel or ignition issues. I would check ignition issues first (as I listed above) since it is easier and then check your spark to rule out ignition problems. If fuel is looking like the problem I would check connector on fuel injector #2 before looking at replacement. Good luck.
    '95 KLZE PGT - SPEC Clutch, Borla Exhaust, Hot Shot Headers, LSD Trans, MegaSquirt, Supercharged

Comment

replaced the distributer cap and we moved the plug wires around and no matter what it was that same cylinder and we did unplug the wire and no rpm drop or even a hiccup in the motor

Comment

Well, based on that info I would check the spark plug's condition. If you are not getting spark but have fuel then the plug should be quite wet with fuel after cranking or running compared to your other plugs. If the plug looks dry then you can start looking at fuel as the issue. Check the injector wiring and connector and check for tightness and a lack of corrosion. If all seems good then it's either a bad injector or the ECU not signalling the injector. The easiest way I can think of to check out this possible issue is to swap the #2 injector with the injector next to it and see if the problem stays with cylinder #2 (ECU problem) or follows the injector (injector problem).

ps. this all assumes that your spark plug is good. . .
        Last edited by Cougar; August 29, 2011, 01:13 PM.
        '95 KLZE PGT - SPEC Clutch, Borla Exhaust, Hot Shot Headers, LSD Trans, MegaSquirt, Supercharged

Comment

Alright thought i would tell you how it drives....when it sarting up and the motor is cold its ok for a little while but when it does warm up i can only push the gas like a half inch anymore it misses and backfires

Comment

it sounds like your distributor is going out maybe
            Leo
            94 PGTze - sold vid 1 vid 3 vid 2
            98 Pontiac firebird formula WS6 the race car.
            95 PGT-T..AKA..The ReD GhoSt KLDE turbo Built by me ..sold

Comment

But def like Cougar said, you need to see if the plug is wet with fuel. If it's dry you'll know likely it's a fuel problem, not ignition.
              1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

pull the plug allready. replace it or simply swap that to another cylinder, do the test again.
                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                X