X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Installation Thread

Part numbers are MSD numbers:
    1. MSD 6AL-PN 6420 w/ built in rev limiter - $220 or more OR MSD 6A - PN 6400 - no rev limiter - ~$180 or less
    2. MSD Blaster 2 Coil - PN 8203 (Red) - PN 8200 (Chrome) - $30 or so
    3. MSD Blaster 2 Coil Bracket - PN 8213 - $10 or so
    4. MSD Coil 8.5mm Wire - MSD 84049 (with tower cap) or MSD 84039 (wire that goes from coil to disti cap) -$15 or so
    5. MSD Wiring Harness Adapter (wires into stock disti) - Free through MSD - works best for 93/94 KL-series engine ONLY
    6. MSD Towers - MSD-8805 (taps into dist. cap) - $5
    7. MSD Start/Retard Control - PN 8982 - for use with MSD/N2O setups
    8. MSD Tach Adapter - MSD 8910 - FOR USE WHEN INSTALLING ON A 93/94 MX-6

If you have the money you can get it all built into one unit:

Programable Digital 7 PN7530
    Pro-Data+ Software (Free)

There is no longer any need to hack any wires. MSD makes the adapter harnesses for our cars and they are free if you call up MSD directly and ask for it.

No MSD unit replaces your ECU. They are designed to be used with the stock ECU. You will need a laptop to program the ignition controller. If you don't have one they sell an MSD programmer that can be used instead of a laptop.

Overall it's cheaper then Jacob's. I personally have a plasma booster but it doesn't help with the ignitor problem which is the only reason I started to look into this.

I purchased the 6AL and the full scale ignition controller, PN 8979, along with the 2 coils & brackets, 9 towers and 3 cables.

I tried to do the transistor mod since my stock ignitor had officially died. I did not like it due to the hack job you have to perform to get it to work not to mention that if the transistor is somehow accidently grounded, IT WILL CAUSE ELECTRICAL DAMAGE. I know that the originator of that modfication had a good idea in mind, however it is simply not necessary to hack up the wiring in order to use the MSD ignition with any year Probe or MX-6.

Also keep in mind that when installing this ignition setup on an MX-6, you will need to use the tach adapter, as the MSD box does not send out a signal that the computer recognizes. When connecting the adapter, connect it in-line between the MSD box and the distributor. This will send out a signal the computer recongizes and allows you to have an operable tach/speedometer.

Please visit my website as I put together the outline that should be able to walk you through the MSD installation.

MSD INSTALL
    Gil - '06 Z51 A6 C6
    K&N CAI w/Open Shroud & Halltech Beehive
    Port matched intake manifold/exhaust
    Dual X-pipe conversion to Z06 HiFlow
    Diablo Sport ECU/TCM Tuned

my distrubitor is different it does not have that big circle looking thing on the side so that msd harness did not work, so right now im using the transistor and i dont like it but i would love to us that harness
    1995 Laser red Probe GT... Sinsei front and sides..18" Montegi wheels, Fullcoil over setup from Ground Control, Ground Control camber plates, Sparco steering wheel, custom trunk setup,...under the hood ??? Carbon fiber hood, KF-ZE Motor.Underdrive pulley, Cold air hotshot intake, Ecu chip, test pipe, MSD amp, MSD coil.

Comment

the harness is specific to the 93-94 probe and mx-6, but gil and i are looking into seeing how it can be adapted for the 95-97 distributors.

remember, due to the stock ignitor problem inherent in the 93-94, the distributor was redesigned for 95+.
      ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

hey i have a question

is the installation that u just explained in the page for 93's too....i was wondering cause i just bought my car and i dont know sith about mechanical stuff..... can u tell me what the little red thing in the intake with the lil two cables conected to it.....

Comment

it's for the 93-94's but the 95 are just a little different looking but can be done the same way.

What little red thing specificly?
          Gil - '06 Z51 A6 C6

Comment

I was wondering where you got your MSD components from? I know you can get them at Summitracing and such but just wondering if you got it from somewhere else?
            04 - Ion 3 - It gets me from point A-B.
            93 - PGT Black - SOLD

"Ya know, my blown struts and rattling shift knob, and peeling clearcoat and rusting fenders, and rusting underbody, and fading paint, and door dings and broken ball joint all add character to my car. " -- VTEC_EATER

Comment

I got everything at summit.
              Gil - '06 Z51 A6 C6

Comment

Questions on MSD and N2O

Ok, I'm going to be installing my MSD 6AL and Blaster 2 coil this weekend.

Is there anything I should be aware of with N2O and the MSD, such as plug gap, or anything else while running a dry 50 shot?

I'm a n00b when it comes to the 6AL.
                Pat
                Dude. I'm old. Give me a break.

Comment

Pat, did you replace those plats yet? ZFR6F-11's gapped at 0.040. That gap should be good for FI and N/A daily driving.

Comment

Anyone get interference from the MSD in their speakers and A/F gauge after install?

Ever since the install, 6 bars light up and swipe the A/F gauge instead of one, and I get a little road noise in my speakers.

Any suggestions?
                    Previously: 93 PGT Turbo...you know, back when you had to build the setup yourself.

Currently: 2012 Jeep GC Overland Summit - 1965 Chevy C10 SWB Fleet

Comment

Ground isolator should work. I left the AF as is. It looked better. =)
                      Gil - '06 Z51 A6 C6

Comment

Originally posted by TakimanPGT
                        Pat, did you replace those plats yet? ZFR6F-11's gapped at 0.040. That gap should be good for FI and N/A daily driving.
                        yeah, I've been running the ZFR6F-11's at .040. Fine for N/A. Works great. Now I've probably put the bottle away for the winter. No bottle heater makes it useless.
                        Pat
                        Dude. I'm old. Give me a break.

Comment

Took you a while to come back and reply, didn't it, Mr. Fat Beer Gut Man?

You need more exercise.

Comment

just make sure you set the rpm rev limiter pill below 7500 rpms, because that's where the fuel cutoff is. fuel cutoff + n2o is bad.
                            1993 Ford Probe GT - KLDE + N2O
                            228 whp 241 wtq - 2340 lb race weight
                            ATX - 13.44@105.1 MTX - 13.35@106.1

Comment

Whats the part number for the red MSD Coil wire?
                              My SRT-4
                              Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

Working...
                              X