Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) I4 2.0L

2nd Gen (93-97) I4 2.0L Discussion of Maint Issues for I4

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #1
boonetrace

Emission test failed first time in 23 years

I have a 1993 Ford Probe (bought in CA) which always did wonderfully well on the emission testing, for 2 decades scoring 0.01 on the CO. However, 2 weeks ago it failed the emission testing for HC: 223 ppm (limit 220). The technician who did the test said just to drive it around and come back. However, I took it to a garage (2 places refused to check it out saying their computer only goes back to 1996). The person there checked it out and said he couldn't find any problem, except maybe that it is idling low. I am going to take it for another test after driving it on the interstate for maybe 30 min. Is it expected to help? What could be the problem? (it never had a problem with emission). The CO was also higher than ever before: 0.61 (limit: 1.2). Would a Ford garage could do something? Or would they say then can also only go back to 1996 models? I would appreciate any advice. They also said use the highest octane gasoline from Shell.
boonetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #2
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

You could pull codes yourself with a paperclip in the TEN and GND pins inside the diagnosis connector near the underhood fusebox. Older mechanics will know better how to deal with obdi.
The check engine light, (cel) will flash out the codes with the key on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; August 10th, 2016 at 09:56 AM.
BLUEnoEQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #3
boonetrace

Thank you BLUEnoEQ for your reply. I do apologize, but I am not an expert at all, so have no idea how to do it, and what the TEN and GND pins inside the diagnosis connector near the underhood fusebox mean and how to find them. The car had the in-tailpipe emission testing, not through the OBD port. I also took the car the a mechanic who was recommended to me (apparently worked on Probes before), he was very nice, he said he checked the car over and found no problems (he did not charge anything). So I just do not know. It seems that 93 Probes' OBD is not recognized by today's diagnostic tools. I will take it for a repeat emission test on Friday, and after reading earlier posts on this blog, I will drive it for 20 min or so and hope do not have to wait a lot before the actual testing (so the engine would not cool down). I might just keep the engine idling while waiting in line. Hopefully that will be enough. I read about putting some alcohol into the tank, but I am very weary about doing that.
Thanking you
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #4
ChillinZX

That's because it's expensive to have equipment to test pre-OBD2 vehicles. Most shops wont do anything about it. If you change your spark plugs that may pass you, since your high on hydro-carbons.
2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Millenia KL swap, MSPNP (VAF delete, IAT mod, AEM Wideband, Coilpack), MFactory LSD and 'Plate Mod' 626 trans, Aeromotive fuel system, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...
ChillinZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #5
boonetrace

Thank you ChillinZX. I will see what happens this Friday when I take it for another test.
Old July 18th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #6
diosnoche
Donating User

HC: 223 ppm (limit 220)
CO: 0.61 (limit: 1.2)

So the higher CO# 0.61 indicates that fuel mixture is on the rich side. Might be time to change the Oxygen Sensor (Upstream sensor)
diosnoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #7
P1P
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosnoche View Post
HC: 223 ppm (limit 220)
CO: 0.61 (limit: 1.2)

So the higher CO# 0.61 indicates that fuel mixture is on the rich side. Might be time to change the Oxygen Sensor (Upstream sensor)

this thread is a year old lol
P1P is offline   Reply With Quote