Emission test failed first time in 23 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emission test failed first time in 23 years

I have a 1993 Ford Probe (bought in CA) which always did wonderfully well on the emission testing, for 2 decades scoring 0.01 on the CO. However, 2 weeks ago it failed the emission testing for HC: 223 ppm (limit 220). The technician who did the test said just to drive it around and come back. However, I took it to a garage (2 places refused to check it out saying their computer only goes back to 1996). The person there checked it out and said he couldn't find any problem, except maybe that it is idling low. I am going to take it for another test after driving it on the interstate for maybe 30 min. Is it expected to help? What could be the problem? (it never had a problem with emission). The CO was also higher than ever before: 0.61 (limit: 1.2). Would a Ford garage could do something? Or would they say then can also only go back to 1996 models? I would appreciate any advice. They also said use the highest octane gasoline from Shell.

You could pull codes yourself with a paperclip in the TEN and GND pins inside the diagnosis connector near the underhood fusebox. Older mechanics will know better how to deal with obdi.
    The check engine light, (cel) will flash out the codes with the key on.
    Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; August 10, 2016, 09:56 AM.
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Thank you BLUEnoEQ for your reply. I do apologize, but I am not an expert at all, so have no idea how to do it, and what the TEN and GND pins inside the diagnosis connector near the underhood fusebox mean and how to find them. The car had the in-tailpipe emission testing, not through the OBD port. I also took the car the a mechanic who was recommended to me (apparently worked on Probes before), he was very nice, he said he checked the car over and found no problems (he did not charge anything). So I just do not know. It seems that 93 Probes' OBD is not recognized by today's diagnostic tools. I will take it for a repeat emission test on Friday, and after reading earlier posts on this blog, I will drive it for 20 min or so and hope do not have to wait a lot before the actual testing (so the engine would not cool down). I might just keep the engine idling while waiting in line. Hopefully that will be enough. I read about putting some alcohol into the tank, but I am very weary about doing that.
      Thanking you

Comment

That's because it's expensive to have equipment to test pre-OBD2 vehicles. Most shops wont do anything about it. If you change your spark plugs that may pass you, since your high on hydro-carbons.
        2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Millenia KL swap, MSPNP (VAF delete, IAT mod, AEM Wideband, Coilpack), MFactory LSD w/ 3-4-5 gearset and 'Plate Mod' 626 trans, Aeromotive fuel system, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, GT35 turbo w/ custom 3" downpipe, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around w/ Cusco strut tower bar, custom made traction bars to frame rails, and lots more.

Comment

Thank you ChillinZX. I will see what happens this Friday when I take it for another test.

Comment

HC: 223 ppm (limit 220)
            CO: 0.61 (limit: 1.2)

So the higher CO# 0.61 indicates that fuel mixture is on the rich side. Might be time to change the Oxygen Sensor (Upstream sensor)

Comment

Originally posted by diosnoche View Post
              HC: 223 ppm (limit 220)
              CO: 0.61 (limit: 1.2)

So the higher CO# 0.61 indicates that fuel mixture is on the rich side. Might be time to change the Oxygen Sensor (Upstream sensor)

this thread is a year old lol

Comment

Working...
              X