Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klde replacement (klde-klde)

hey guys,
    my 181k klde just blew a rear (valve cover) (ithink) gasket.) while im at it, with figuring out the taillight fuse blowing, and if i had to spend all the time to fix a gasket on the rear of this motor, im gonna clean up and install my 65k klde,that wont smoke, or make top end noise a little.
    How awfuly difficult is this? i guess ill pull the cvs and tranny, then get on the motor. Ive never worked on anything like this before, ive done several 302 swaps into stuff, worked on turbo eagle talons, as well as hondas, but never a probe. How difficult is it to pull/replace an engine with a replacement one? a 1-2 day job? Im gonna do some porting/cleaning up on the new klde before i put it in.

Also, my tail light fuse keeps blowing. I pulled the wires down out of the front and checked them out. they're all good, and so are the rear wires at it. The relay is fine, and the output side of the fuse socket does not show continuity to ground. I pulled all the bulbs,thinking it may be one ofthem, and cleaned out the inside of the sockets/wires.
    could it be the switch?

Also, where can i order piston rings for a klde, and how much are they gonna cost? while im at it, having this motor apart to clean/inspect it, i might as well assure myself of a tight motor.
    thanks, mark.
    Black 94 PGT-ATX-MTXswap, other subtle mods.
    black 86 ranger-91 5.0 roller, performer rpm manifold, lincoln manifolds, mallory rev limiter, nitrous coming january.

if uve done the swap before its an easy 1-2 day job, when i did it for the first time though it took me a whole weekend to remove the engine and another weekend to put it back in
    2010 Toyota Prius III
    2014 Honda Odyssey

Former Cars:
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 - totaled, flood
    1996 Probe GT - traded in
    1991 Probe LX - totaled, rear ended

Comment

Originally posted by blindsided145
      Also, my tail light fuse keeps blowing. I pulled the wires down out of the front and checked them out. they're all good, and so are the rear wires at it. The relay is fine, and the output side of the fuse socket does not show continuity to ground. I pulled all the bulbs,thinking it may be one ofthem, and cleaned out the inside of the sockets/wires.
      could it be the switch?

Also, where can i order piston rings for a klde, and how much are they gonna cost? while im at it, having this motor apart to clean/inspect it, i might as well assure myself of a tight motor.
      thanks, mark.
      It's not likely the switch. If it was the switch going, it'd just intermittantly work. Blowing fuses is likely the ground. Can you find the end of the factory ground wire from the taillights to ground? If so, just take that off, sand off all oxidation on the terminal and on the chassis at the mount point and reattach. See if that fixes it.

Go to Autozone for the piston ring set. Have them look up a 1993 Probe GT. They'll have steel ring set for $55, or you can get it with a chrome top ring for $75 for the set. Both will be Hastings brand.

Comment

Originally posted by sarturo_91LX
        if uve done the swap before its an easy 1-2 day job, when i did it for the first time though it took me a whole weekend to remove the engine and another weekend to put it back in
        Ive never done a motor in this car before, so ill be armed with my tools, and a haynes manual. lol

Originally posted by lakersfan1
        It's not likely the switch. If it was the switch going, it'd just intermittantly work. Blowing fuses is likely the ground. Can you find the end of the factory ground wire from the taillights to ground? If so, just take that off, sand off all oxidation on the terminal and on the chassis at the mount point and reattach. See if that fixes it.

Go to Autozone for the piston ring set. Have them look up a 1993 Probe GT. They'll have steel ring set for $55, or you can get it with a chrome top ring for $75 for the set. Both will be Hastings brand.
        I could see the ground wire for the rear lights, and it looked like it was in fine shape. The fronts ground up in the harness, and i cannot see where those go. forgive me, but how would the ground going bad cause the fuse to blow? wouldnt it just cause lights not to work? thats what i would assume. See, the fuse blew once, a week and a half ago, when taking a hard left turn, then i replaced the fuse and it lasted almost a whole week, and now it blows immediately. Ill check out the ground and make sure its not corroded. any tips on the front wiring? i checked all i could see, and there were no exposed pieces of wire.
        Black 94 PGT-ATX-MTXswap, other subtle mods.
        black 86 ranger-91 5.0 roller, performer rpm manifold, lincoln manifolds, mallory rev limiter, nitrous coming january.

Comment

Working...
        X