retarding cam timing with larger idler pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retarding cam timing with larger idler pulley

Myself and a friend both have ZE's with shaved heads (of an unknown amount) and manual timing belt tensioners (which are pretty much maxed out). We also both have DE like low down torque and uninspiring power up top. Im currently replacing my water pump at the moment and to correct the timing its just another bolt and a little time using a larger diameter front tensioner pulley.

The plan is to fit a bigger tensioner to retard the timing "roughly" back to stock, sure it wont help with the rear bank (as much) but its worth a try. Ill be using the very unscientific method of releasing the tensioner, slipping in a known thickness sleeve between the belt and tensioner and then tightening it up to determine the new pulley diameter. Both the crank and a cam will have a degree wheel to see the effect of the sleeve on timing, looking for approx 3deg minimum to 5deg maximum.

Is this a crazy idea? Is there a better suggestion? fire away
    Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
    Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
    Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Adjustable cam gears.

They are pretty hard to find though.
    1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Head gasket shims are another option, but would require knowing/estimating how much the heads were shaved. And removing the heads of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
        Adjustable cam gears.

They are pretty hard to find though.
        Why spend $$$$ if it works with a larger pulley? Ive looked for abour 3 years now for the cam gears and cant find them.

Head gasket shims are even more work and as you say you need to know how much was taken off.
        Last edited by stoker100; February 3, 2018, 12:35 PM.
        Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
        Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Thought about re-indexing a stock set of gears by cutting new slots in the center? Not sure if this is a possibility, but free is always good if it can work. Level of measuring and thinking effort - High. Cost and physical effort - Low.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 99 View Post
            Thought about re-indexing a stock set of gears by cutting new slots in the center? Not sure if this is a possibility, but free is always good if it can work. Level of measuring and thinking effort - High. Cost and physical effort - Low.
            yes i have thought about doing that, not sure how to go about it to get the precision required and still more effort then what im trying to do (pulley should be <$30 and requires no custom work hopefully).

Comment

Can't you still get them at cfk in the UK? (pullies)
              Mazda Mx3- Panther black, Kosei 18", custom hood, cleaned, new pakfeifer front, customized pakfeifer rear

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous

Comment

Originally posted by Whitefinish View Post
                Can't you still get them at cfk in the UK? (pullies)
                Do you mean CDF racing? pretty sure its listed on the site but when i checked they didn't make them anymore (i may be wrong as this was a while ago).

Comment

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post
                  Do you mean CDF racing? pretty sure its listed on the site but when i checked they didn't make them anymore (i may be wrong as this was a while ago).

discontinued

Comment

anyone have any comments on the original post idea instead of alternative options?

Comment

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post
                      anyone have any comments on the original post idea instead of alternative options?
                      http://www.cdfracing.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=599

The CDF web page holds a listing for Mazda KL series cam pulleys but the price is...... 160.00 pounds!!!!
                      Eunos Presso HI-XS Special Edition, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , walbro 255,short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI,Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by projectB10 View Post
                        http://www.cdfracing.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=599

The CDF web page holds a listing for Mazda KL series cam pulleys but the price is...... 160.00 pounds!!!!
                        You havent been reading the posts have you?

Comment

So many shaved head threads asking how to fix the after effects. It’s like nobody thinks ahead anymore. I’ve never shaved or had the need back when I was active.
                          1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                          1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                          2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                          2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                          1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

My head was slightly warped so it had to be shaved, i immediately thought about the timing but didnt have the time back then to address the issue which is why im looking at it now. Better late than never right.

Comment

There’s a service limit like .004”
                              The one time I threw a head away from warping was the time I put MS on my daily on a 300 mile trip and attempting to get “world record” mpg. I leaned it out until it started to shake and blew a geyser !! After pulling the spark plug out , I got my compression tester hose seized in the head from it contracting on cool down.
                              1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                              1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                              2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                              2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                              1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                              X