Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel studs - I thought I had the right p/n?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel studs - I thought I had the right p/n?

I'm replacing all my aging wheel studs with the late model ARP (corvette) studs, and I ordered Summit P/N 100-7708 (12mm x 1.50).

I got one in, and it seems pretty snug, but being paranoid, I thought the spline numbers were different. Once counted, the stocker was 36 splines, and ARP stud was 28 - wtf, mate? I thought I had the right part.

Search doesn't show anything, and I lost my old records with the useful part numbers. Now I have 40 studs that may not be the right thing...(20 for daily driver, 20 for FrankenProbe).

Here's a pic of the wheel stud comparison:

Click for picture

I think what i'll do if press them in anyway and weld them in the back for a little extra security.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Originally posted by Dan [Sac]
    I'm replacing all my aging wheel studs with the late model ARP (corvette) studs, and I ordered Summit P/N 100-7708 (12mm x 1.50).

I got one in, and it seems pretty snug, but being paranoid, I thought the spline numbers were different. Once counted, the stocker was 36 splines, and ARP stud was 28 - wtf, mate? I thought I had the right part.
    hi dan! correct part number from Summit is definitely ARP-100-7708 (i am looking at my receipts folder right now). they fit very snugly in the hub; i didn't have a press handy, so i lubed up the splines and pulled them in with a spare lugnut and alot of big washers. they were very tight; i didn't weld them in the back, and they have not budged, even after 2 years of hard hard hard wheel-to-wheel road racing. you should be fine, even without welding, on your install.

good luck!
    todd
    ReidSpeed
    Todd Reid #11 ReidSpeedInc.com Ford Probe GT
    2011 Race Track Combat Champion
    2011 NASA National PTE Reserve Champion
    2009 & 2007 NASA Mid Atlantic PTE Champion
    "If you wanna go faster, you gotta be able to STOP!"

Comment

Here are the exact ones I used

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/D...20(Medium).JPG

And for good measure my install

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/install.htm

Don't weld them, thats just silly - and the heat isnt good for the splines/hub.
      Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
      PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
      1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
      1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Seems like forcing 28 splines into a hole cut for 36 would cause a problem eventually, are proper ones not available? Also, why the longer studs? Is it to compensate for wheel spacers?
        Red 95 PGT - The Wife's Car /// Blue 93 PGT-ZE /// Green 96 S10 - The Hauler

Comment

You have the correct part number. Press them in, they will hold without any other means, there is no problem.

Ill show you on the 11th

Gavin

Comment

Good to know. I was pretty certain that I had the right p/n, but 28-36 didn't add up. I'll use the open lugnut + airgun to press them in after lubing the splines for the other ones.

The longer lugs allow for spacers in the future, plus the stockers were stripped, broken, or missing altogether (at least one per wheel), and we all know how missing lugnuts do at autocross tech time
            90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
            93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
            97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

I have those same studs in my car. They're great! I installed them with an open ended lugnut and impact wrench. I used a larger 1/2" drive socket as a spacer, rather than multiple washers.

Mike
              96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
              CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
              93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
              ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

ok i got these studs and put them in, but now they are too long for my lug nuts, this is after my spacer adn rim are on.... any suggestions on new lug nuts? or do i need a new spacer, if so my wheel is really goign to stick out
                its all starting to come together

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/527811

Comment

open-ended lugnuts?
                  1996 Mazda MX-6 LS (Kauai Blue *blurple*)
                  1993 Ford Probe GT
                  some photos

Comment

Yeah, you have to get the open ended lug nuts for these studs.

Comment

He has open ended lugnuts but they arent long enough. You cant get the key in the middle enough to torque them without constantly worrying about stripping them. Where can he get longer lugnuts. The wheels with spacers are already pushed all the way to the edges of the fenders.
                      Adam Kirkpatrick
                      1994 Ford Probe GT-T - Built for me, by me, 265whp
                      2010 Ford Fusion SEL - Wife's daily driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 - Daily driver
                      1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 - Work truck, wrapped, on 20's . . . 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - Work car

Comment

screw special lugnuts
                        1996 Mazda MX-6 LS (Kauai Blue *blurple*)
                        1993 Ford Probe GT
                        some photos

Comment

Originally posted by Probesport
                          Here are the exact ones I used

And for good measure my install

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/install.htm

Don't weld them, thats just silly - and the heat isnt good for the splines/hub.

what size spacers do you have and whats the offset on ur rims?
                          89 Black PGT

Comment

aside from the part number, what year corvette are these for?
                            '04 Silver Mazda3s Hatch... not really stock
                            '89 Blue Jeep Cherokee 4x4....yea this isn't stock either
                            '46 Gray Pontiac Coupe.. this one is very stock
                            '02 Red/Black Honda CBR 600 F4i... some go fast goodies

Comment

how do you get the old studs off?? thinkin i might do this when i put my rims on
                              '93 Mazda MX-6 LS: Five AD S5F 18x8.5 +30 & P215/35R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Traction Bars, South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Corksport Stainless Braided Clutch Line, '07 Mazdaspeed6 F+R Brakes, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS, Goodridge SS Brake Hoses, Pacesetter Headers, Test Pipe, Borla Catback, Outlaw Spacer Kit, EGR Block-Off, PRD STS, UHMWP Shifter Bushings, Trans Saver, PRM CAI, RedLineGoods Shift Boot

Comment

Working...
                              X