How to: repair broken VRIS vacuum chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: repair broken VRIS vacuum chambers

I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while, so I thought I'd share. We all know the vacuum chambers are not a bad idea in theory, however being exposed to heat and time in the real world make them brittle, and the nipples often snap off when trying to change out vacuum lines and generally anytime the intake manifold is off. Of course the only way to change them out is with the manifold off in the first place!
    I recently bought a KLG4 manifold from a salvage yard. The vacuum lines were rock hard, and despite being careful, I broke one of the chambers. Upon looking at it I noticed that the vacuum nipples are in a straight line from one side to the other.
    So I got some 3/16 brake line. I cut it about 3 inches ling using a pipe cutter, chamfered the ends, and cut three small notches through the middle about 1/3 of the way through. I drilled out the vacuum nipples on the chamber using a 3/16 drill bit. Then I slid the brake line through the chamber, and viola!

I do plan on epoxying the brake line in place for a good seal and to keep it from getting pushed out of place. This is an extremely cheap easy fix and should never break again.
    1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

There are two chambers. If one breaks, Just T into the existing good chamber. They work just as well sharing one chamber, as they did having two.
    PaTricK
    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
      There are two chambers. If one breaks, Just T into the existing good chamber. They work just as well sharing one chamber, as they did having two.
      What if they both break? A very real possibility.
      1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

Very nice. I see them broken all the time. What kind of adhesive did you end up using? RTV?
        Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Rtv isnt gonna hold that. Id imagine jb or quicksteel. But ypu could just buy a threaded vac nipple and drill the hold a bit smaller and use loctite when you thread it in.
          94 PGT
          [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Thank you for posting this WITH pics!

Comment

Working...
            X