has anyone done this before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone done this before

I have a 95 pgt with a shattered hatch window has anyone ever replaced just the window any help would be greatly appreciated

that is the most expensive window glass on the car and just like the quarter windows, it is urethaned into place. Not sure if they still make replacements. When they are found they're so expensive that most get a used hatch with the glass in it and replace the whole hatch.

but sorry, don't think I really answered your question though. the hard part will be finding the glass and giving up the money they'll want for it
    1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
    1996 PSE 330K Miles
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
    Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

That glass probably cost's upwards of $1,000 - $2,000 + Installation A junkyard hatch here in Vegas is $83.00. Why would you every replace just the glass at that price?

Comment

I got my glass for $300+ install new in my cf hatch. I think they usually run around $500 Canadian

Comment

Junkyard price for the glass is pretty cheap, And most any glass installer will charge about $100 on the install.
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Wow this thread is funny, nevermind the speculative costs, Basically.....get an entire hatch.
            1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
            1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
            2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
            2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
            1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
              Wow this thread is funny, nevermind the speculative costs, Basically.....get an entire hatch.
              Yep sure is. ^^This was really helpful to the post. Thanks.^^

During the time I Priced a New one they were expensive. And if you want one New they still are. This was many years ago. We ended up getting a whole rear hatch and installing that because that's what the owner wanted to do but even so during that time it was cheaper to purchase the hatch with the glass for us.

You can then remove the glass and install yourself or pay to have a glass company do it and still be less than a new one as MonoxideChild suggested.

Seems like a used one can be found already removed for pretty cheap according to MonixideChild so that's the way I would go.
              Last edited by Ryan96se; February 7, 2015, 08:23 PM.
              1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
              1996 PSE 330K Miles
              http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
              Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

LKQ is a nation wide pull a part chain in most areas of the country. They charge $44.99 for a probe rear hatch glass as is posted right on there website here. http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locat...rd-250/prices/

Hatch glass replacement cost was from having it done, On a Probe. And was $100 installed. There was Zero speculation to my prices.
                Last edited by MonoxideChild; February 7, 2015, 08:02 PM.
                PaTricK
                ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

I wasn't speculating either
                  http://www.friendlyfordparts.com/par...&siteid=215439

Comment

Daaammmmmnnnnn! Thats more than I paid for both my probes.

Comment

I was getting the windshield replaced on my mx6 and the guy saw the probe in the garage and said not to break the back glass because they are insanely expensive lol.
                      1989 pgt: 13.6@111mph slow car
                      1990 pgt: fast car

Comment

I would love to see a profesional remove a probes hatch glass in 1 piece...i like to learn how to do what i feel is impossible.

Long hot curvy blade?
                        Last edited by mac1; February 28, 2015, 10:01 PM.
                        1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                        1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                        2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                        2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                        1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I've always heard a thin wire (like piano wire or something) and they just use it to saw through the glue/sealant.
                          '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                          '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Actually, we did the piano wire trick when we had to take the back glass out to race in the ChumpCar series. Just get the something around 1/8th diameter or so. If it's too big, you'll be running the wire into the glass and not the silicone/urethane. Get a couple of round wood pieces to wrap the wire around on each end, to be able to hold on to it. It's cheap to do it, but it is a work out.

Comment

I have a complete black rear hatch from a 96 GT with OE spoiler, located in KY. PM me.
                              1991 Ford Probe GT: Walbro 255HP,TKT T3/T04 .50 GN wheel, External Tial 38mm, .020 over, total seal rings, p&p, FMIC 28X7X3 core,440cc injectors

1996 Ford Probe GT: KLZE ATX daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X