1 wire O2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brian2305
    by the way this will not work on obdII cars since the pcm checks for the heater circuits on the sensors.
    The heaters draw around 1 amp, at 12 volts, this is 12 ohms and 12 watts. It would be real easy to put a $1.00 Radio Shack fixed resistor in the circuit to simulate the heater.
    I'd say a 12 or 15 ohm 25 watt job would work for sure. I'd bet that a higher ohmage/lower wattage unit would still be able to fool the ECU, but you'd have to experiment with that to see how 'dumb' the ECU can be in that regard. As the ohms goes up the power goes down.

It might even be dumb enough to accept a small 12V lamp instead of the heater load.

Comment

Single O2 conversion

Great posts!

This conversion works great. Did the change out on Sat.

"TakimanPGT" has the correct wire layout for the OEM O2's from the connector to the O2 sensor itself.

You tap into the black wire and cap off the two white and one gray.

I had to really dig to get the wire coloring from the harness. But farther up in this post "Ryanpzz" has the wire coloring from the connector to the PCM was correctly labeled.

The front connectors wire (near the radiator) is BLUE wire WHITE stripe.

The rear connectors wire (at the top of the engine behind the IM) is BLACK wire YELLOW stripe.

And the part number is Bosch 11027. The wire already has a crimp connector on it and a piece of heatshrink to cover it.

Thanks for the info and a great way to save some bucks to spend on other mods.

Comment

Here are a few pics!

Comparison between stock and Bosch 11027

http://home.ripway.com/2003-10/31093/car001a.jpg

Cutting the stock connector.

(note the wire lengths are staggered to prevent shorts)

http://home.ripway.com/2003-10/31093/car003a.jpg

Then I crimped the black wires together, (remember to put the shrink wrap on the wire BEFORE you crimp) taped the extra wires up with silicon tape, and heated the shrink wrap in place over the connector.

Here is the finished product installed on the car

http://home.ripway.com/2003-10/31093/car004a.jpg

On a side note, at one of the three different carparts places (none of them would give me a Bosch 11027 with out asking for a car make, model and engine size)

* parts jocky asks me if my 84 caprice 3.8 L (heh) had the rotor in the front or the back.

-I said uhhh i dont know.

*Well do you have the car here?

-Uhhh no (i dont have that car at all DUH!)

*Well do you have your registration with you?

-UHHHH no its not really my car.

*Well then I dont know what to look up.

-Well arent the UNIVERSAL o2 sensors the same for both engines????

*hummm (frantic typing ensues) well yes but i dont understand why you dont want the one with the connector already on it.

-(SIGH) Just give me the Universal one!

*(comes back with box)

-is this the universal one?

*yes, but nobody likes those kind, the one with the connector is only $4 more and much easier to put in.

-I'll take this one.

*Okay, but everone brings these back for the ones with the connectors.

-(smiling) how much for this?

*(parts jockey finally rings me up)

-(sarcatic smile and very cheerful) thank you!

*parts jockey grunts and the goes back to computer...

Wader
        88 MX-6 N/A M/T (1995-1999) R.I.P.
        94 PGT M/T (1999-2009) R.I.P.
        95 PGT M/T (2010-2011) R.I.P.

94 PGT KLZE M/T 166.4 FWHP

Comment

Wader,

Excellent post. Thanks for the pics. Also, this is one great thread!
          Marc M.
          Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
          2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Yeah!

That is exactly what I did. And the pictures match the parts as well.

Great post "waderpgt".

I used the sleeve that covers the wires on the stock sensor to cover the stagered cut extra three wires and the heat shrinked connector. I don't like to use electrical tape too much in my engine compartment because it dries out, gets all sticky and falls off.

Don't you just love those intellegent car parts guys.

Comment

It was nice to see all the one wire modded cars at myrtle. I love starting cool stuff :-)... Great post with pics "waderpgt".

My freshly turbo'd 94 PGT made it to myrtle and back, 1000 miles in 15 hours twice within 3 days, and aside from a little oil burnage (ok, a lot, damn valve seals) no problems. Not even an engine light the whole way.

And Takiman won an award with one wire O2's :-)... mega

Thinking outside the box rules!

Comment

Re: Yeah!

Thanks for the comments guys!
                And the ideas Ryanpzz! Keep them coming!!

Originally posted by greggomon
                I used the sleeve that covers the wires on the stock sensor to cover the stagered cut extra three wires and the heat shrinked connector. I don't like to use electrical tape too much in my engine compartment because it dries out, gets all sticky and falls off.
                to clarify-
                if you notice the wire in the third pic:

-i also reuse the original heat sleeve over the first part of the wire

-the second black piece is the heatshrink over the crimp splice

-the third black mass is silicone tape.

silicone 'tape' is not the same as elecrical tape (although it can be used for electrical purposes) as it has no adhesive and only sticks to itself. It is heat resistant (to over 500F!) and conforms to any shape easily. It sticks to itself so well that it is almost impossible to remove or untape with out cutting it off after only a few seconds at room temp.

I bought the silicone tape at home depot to fix the split in my intake elbow. (there is another thread about that somewhere around here)
                It worked very well and is a permanent fix!

Silicone tape comes in a blue & white package labeled Stretch & Seal and can be found at home depot for about $4. I found it in the PVC isle near the plumbing supplies. (it is waterproof and can be used to repair and seal water pipes)

Wader
                88 MX-6 N/A M/T (1995-1999) R.I.P.
                94 PGT M/T (1999-2009) R.I.P.
                95 PGT M/T (2010-2011) R.I.P.

94 PGT KLZE M/T 166.4 FWHP

Comment

Silicone Tape?

Thanks for the link on the silicone tape.

I was not aware of it, but now that I am, I will be using it instead of electrical tape from now on.

Thanks for the info Wader

Greg

Comment

So no OBD-II worky huh ? damn
                    N.E.P.O-"The Rebel"
                    -2005 SRT-4 *305lb tq*
                    -1998 Neon Stock:
                    -1997 PGT Stacked:**SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanpzz
                      And Takiman won an award with one wire O2's :-)... mega
                      It IS an Xtreme mod, Ryan.

That car may drink oil but it is a jolly good guzzler. Well worth every quart. To you and your Mad thoughts.

Comment

I'm going in for an emissions test with this 1 wire conversion tommorow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

I think maybe 3 people at myrtle saw my car.. it's too stock looking, but incredibly not.

Comment

Passed with flying colors! My car did fail emissions before with excess hydrocarbon count, so after replacing just the rear O2 sensor with this 1 wire jobbie, it passed with 1/6th the allowable limit reading

Oh, I can feel a noticeable increase in mileage. I'll post before and after full tank mileages when I go thru a full tank, but so far, at 1/4 tank left, I used to go roughly 80-100kms before the low fuel light came on....

so far, I've gone 167 kms from a 1/4th tanks, and the light still hasnt come on!

Comment

Question, should I reset the computer after the install and prior to running the car. or leave the computer as is?
                              I'll be doing this this weekend. At the local advance auto parts
                              store the #1 listing for the o2 for the 84 caprice 3.8 L was the bosch universal one. The price was $17.98 each.
                              Thanks for the tip.
                              Andy P.
                              Andy P. 95 MX-6 LS-T @ 10psi

Comment

Originally posted by andyp_mx3
                                Question, should I reset the computer after the install and prior to running the car. or leave the computer as is?
                                If you had a code before the install, then yes, you should reset your computer. If you didn't have a code, then resetting your computer wouldn't matter.
                                Marc M.
                                Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                                2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Working...
                                X