This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff_Jeske
    The ZE cams aren't aggessive enough to see BIG gains but I am willing to bet a mph or two.

JJ
    a mph or 2 isn't worth the money in that case then.
    '93 Electric Red PGT SOLD
    Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
    2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

The ZE is just as strong as the O3 if not stronger with the heavy duty intake HLAs. However it needs to be tuned correctly for NA performance first then add the juice for a 50 shot. Anything more than a 50 and your safety blanket pretty much goes away. Any little thing can cause a major mishap. To run safe add race gas. This is such a cheap and easy safety item that I dont see why anyone wouldn't want to do it.

TARMAC BLACK 2006 EVOLUTION 9 SPECIAL EDITION 430WHP

JJM CUSTOM TUNE /// ETS FMIC /// HKS TBE EXHAUST /// BBK TURBO /// OHLINS COILOVERS /// FIC 1100 INJECTORS

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Wowo76
        Any mod that would benefit a freer flowing exahust such that you are not wasting your n20 during the intake stroke.
        Maybe i'm not reading this right, but are you saying that increasing the exhaust efficiency somehow decreases your "wasted n2o" on the intake stroke. Please elaborate, this i have to hear.

Nitrous responds best to the same type of mods a NA motor responds to best. First and foremost the driver...

Comment

If you have to get one thing, get two: cams and traction.
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Big Brother
            Maybe i'm not reading this right, but are you saying that increasing the exhaust efficiency somehow decreases your "wasted n2o" on the intake stroke. Please elaborate, this i have to hear.
            I did a quick search and Jeff posted this about his rebuild from some time ago...

There is plenty of room to go over but finding a valve to fit that will be nearly impossible. The only oversized valves I could find were through PAECO....I believe they were $26 each and I forget how much bigger. They refused to tell me who the manufacturer was so I just went with standard size Ferrea valves. I paid $28 each for my Ferrea.

All in all I am not sure how much I could have gained from the bigger valves because I still have the 96 exhaust manifolds with pre-cats. I know I could pick up a ton if I shedded those for headers but I just love the current sound of my car too much.

If reaching for 12s (not me) then I strongly suggest headers and oversized valves. If oversized valves are not an option then a more aggressive exhaust cam is in order. I have decided to use my KLZE exhaust cams and KLDE intake cams.

If Jeff could be kind enuff to post the link on his site about the technical characteristics of N20 and it's increased performance w/ exhaust mods, you will have more than enuff info to make the correlation between better exhaust flow and high gains from your N20 setup.

Nitrous responds best to the same type of mods a NA motor responds to best. First and foremost the driver...
            Ask MikeSeli about cams for NA vs. cams for N20. You'll find out that not all NA mods are best for N20 and vice versa.
            Last edited by Wowo76; May 11, 2004, 05:51 AM.
            What's a ZE?

i don't know, but your email address is NOT working and it needs to be fixed ASAP!

Comment

If Jeff could be kind enuff to post the link on his site about the technical characteristics of N20 and it's increased performance w/ exhaust mods, you will have more than enuff info to make the correlation between better exhaust flow and high gains from your N20 setup.
              I understand that free-er flowing exhaust benefits N2O.(it's the letter O, not a zero). I'm asking for you to elaborate on the "wasting N2O" on the intake stroke.

Ask MikeSeli about cams for NA vs. cams for N20. You'll find out that not all NA mods are best for N20 and vice versa.
              I'm not sure who MikeSeli is, but i'm willing to bet he's an internet 'guru'. Don't get me started on the "custom" nitrous grinds that are pedaled by cam makers. Nitrous relies on your engines ability to ingest air, plain and simple, NA mods are what you're after.

Comment

NA mods are what you're after.
                Not all n/a mods are best for n2o. Sometime if you're looking for more n2o power, you may have to suffer your n/a times to yield better times on the bottle. This is like with the exhaust cams. I believe if you swap to ZE exhaust cams on an 03, leaving the 03 intake cams, you'll lose n/a power (slightly) but gain much more on the bottle.

Yes, most n/a mods will also help your times on the bottle, but not ALL. For example, higher compression can greatly benefit n/a times. But not so good an idea for higher n2o shots.
                '93 Electric Red PGT SOLD
                Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
                2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by probepimp
                  Not all n/a mods are best for n2o. Sometime if you're looking for more n2o power, you may have to suffer your n/a times to yield better times on the bottle. This is like with the exhaust cams. I believe if you swap to ZE exhaust cams on an 03, leaving the 03 intake cams, you'll lose n/a power (slightly) but gain much more on the bottle.
                  I enboldened the important part of this. Empirical data and tried and true tech talk, what you think doesn't.

Originally posted by probepimp
                  Yes, most n/a mods will also help your times on the bottle, but not ALL. For example, higher compression can greatly benefit n/a times. But not so good an idea for higher n2o shots.

Out of the cars i know that were designed around the bottle, the lowest CR of them is 12.5:1...but they're only using 400 hp foggers....i guess that isn't a big enough shot for you though?

Comment

With nitrous the last thing you need is more intake mods.
                    You are spraying all the intake air you could ever use. You need to get rid of all those gasses once they are burned. Exhaust is the key.

I dont know what is ment by wasting N2O on the intake side. You can have a very gental intake cam and still get plenty of nitrous. The KEY is efficiency.....you will have a much better return from the same size shot if you get rid of all that exhaust prior to the next intake stroke.

BTW - I did end up switching to hotshot headers and they really didn't do anything for me. I believe the first bottleneck is the exhaust cam and exhaust valve. If you can get a more aggressive cam or bigger valve I think you will see big gains even with factory exhaust manifolds.

JJM CUSTOM TUNE /// ETS FMIC /// HKS TBE EXHAUST /// BBK TURBO /// OHLINS COILOVERS /// FIC 1100 INJECTORS

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

Jeff, I`m hoping that with no more than a fifty shot.. i wont have to mess with the exhaust cam... or do you think there are significant gains to be had at that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluexcell
                        Jeff, I`m hoping that with no more than a fifty shot.. i wont have to mess with the exhaust cam... or do you think there are significant gains to be had at that?
                        Well I think there are nice gains to be had but it wont be night and day difference. Cams are darn expensive and a pretty large job to swap.

If I were running a 46 N2O jet or more I would "consider" getting a nitrous profile set of cams....if not that hard core then don't worry about it.

People have hit 12s with a 100 shot on stock KL03 and minor weight reduction.

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

can the KL03 exhaust cams be reprofiled to use? i have a set spare?

Comment

Yes but its still a few hundred bones to have done and a big job.

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

Ok thanks..

This is what i summarize..

Provided i`m not going to run more than a 50 shot:

1.The KLZE engine is pretty much ok as is. No mechanical changes are needed .
                              2. Ignition may need retarding, but in all probability it wont.. (I have 97 RON fuel at the pumps in the UK, not as good as Japan but there ya go.)
                              3.Independent control of the VRIS is required. consensus says open both valves when on Nitrous.
                              4. Some benefit may be gained by exhaust valve work.. but it will run ok as is, just dont expect to be getting the best from it stock.
                              5. A better FP is suggested, the stock pump should be ok up to a 50 shot
                              6. A better clutch would be worthwhile, if like me you have the engine out anyway.
                              7. Use one step colder plugs non platinum.

anyone want to add something?
                              Last edited by Bluexcell; May 14, 2004, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluexcell
                                Ok thanks..

This is what i summarize..

Provided i`m not going to run more than a 50 shot:

1.The KLZE engine is pretty much ok as is. No mechanical changes are needed .
                                2. Ignition may need retarding, but in all probability it wont.. (I have 97 RON fuel at the pumps in the UK, not as good as Japan but there ya go.)
                                3.Independent control of the VRIS is required. consensus says open both valves when on Nitrous.
                                4. Some benefit may be gained by exhaust valve work.. but it will run ok as is, just dont expect to be getting the best from it stock.
                                5. A better FP is suggested, the stock pump should be ok up to a 50 shot
                                6. A better clutch would be worthwhile, if like me you have the engine out anyway.
                                7. Use one step colder plugs non platinum.

anyone want to add something?

For a 50 shot you really dont need one range colder unless its and MX6 then yes go with the 6F plugs. A BETTER THAN STOCK CLUTCH IS A MUST! If sticking with 50 to 75 shot get something as good as the clutchmasters stage 3. The stage 1 wont like a 75 shot for very long.

VERY GOOD SUMMARY!!!!

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

Working...
                                X