Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1
97GTSS

Misfire misfire

On my 97 its seems to be missing badly...n the number 2 cyliner we pulled the plug and it didnt do anything, then did a compression test and that was good.....I think its a bad fuel injector but idk....anybody have anything??
97GTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Cougar
PT Regular

Could be a bad plug wire or a bad distributor cap assuming that the plug itself is good. I assume you did a cylinder balance test and had no rpm drop when you unplugged cylinder #2. Usually good compression indicates that the mechanicals are good so you need to figure if you have fuel or ignition issues. I would check ignition issues first (as I listed above) since it is easier and then check your spark to rule out ignition problems. If fuel is looking like the problem I would check connector on fuel injector #2 before looking at replacement. Good luck.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #3
97GTSS

replaced the distributer cap and we moved the plug wires around and no matter what it was that same cylinder and we did unplug the wire and no rpm drop or even a hiccup in the motor
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Cougar
PT Regular

Well, based on that info I would check the spark plug's condition. If you are not getting spark but have fuel then the plug should be quite wet with fuel after cranking or running compared to your other plugs. If the plug looks dry then you can start looking at fuel as the issue. Check the injector wiring and connector and check for tightness and a lack of corrosion. If all seems good then it's either a bad injector or the ECU not signalling the injector. The easiest way I can think of to check out this possible issue is to swap the #2 injector with the injector next to it and see if the problem stays with cylinder #2 (ECU problem) or follows the injector (injector problem).

ps. this all assumes that your spark plug is good. . .

Last edited by Cougar; August 29th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:01 PM   #5
97GTSS

Alright thought i would tell you how it drives....when it sarting up and the motor is cold its ok for a little while but when it does warm up i can only push the gas like a half inch anymore it misses and backfires
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #6
ShexSlow
Donating User

it sounds like your distributor is going out maybe

94 PGTze - sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the race car.

KLDE turbo
Built by me ..sold
ShexSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #7
RedGT
Turbo Member

But def like Cougar said, you need to see if the plug is wet with fuel. If it's dry you'll know likely it's a fuel problem, not ignition.
1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM   #8
mac1
Probe financial advisor

pull the plug allready. replace it or simply swap that to another cylinder, do the test again.
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote