This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a JDM KLZE and things to look for

OK -After keeping an eye on KLZE purchases and associated problems with customer support, just plain garbage engines or scam job A-spec Millenia KLZE's I feel it is time to start a thread covering pre-installation inspection and measures to help protect you in your big KLZE investment. I realize that many people are operating on college funding or minimum wage budgets and so every dollar counts. Nobody wants to be ripped off.

So here is the intent of this thread. This is to first of all present what should be inspected in a newly received KLZE engine before the car is even pulled into the shop for the swap and measures you should do to protect your investment. Thread posts should be kept to facts only and preferrably backed by high quality photos (most camera phone pics do not meet this requirement). This thread should be kept as objective as possible so good experience posts are welcome and wanted.

1) First off ask to see photos of the engine you will be receiving before you place the order for comparison with the engine you actually receive. When you have received your KLZE you should save the packing list or shipping documents. These are extremely important if a conflict arises so that it can be determined as to where any damage may have originated from. It is highly recommended that you insist on insurance through the shipper.

2) Have a very good digital camera to take photos (as often as possible) from the moment you begin to un-palletize the engine. Take photos before you even touch it. Take photos as you begin to unwrap it. Leave the plastic wrapping around the base of the engine as you dissassemble it for inspection so that it can be seen that you didn't alter anything. Take photos before valve cover removal.

3) Remove the front valve cover and take photos of the head and cams before you remove or touch anything. This is not a 100% indication but the color of the deposits can determine the approximate mileage of the engine. Color can also vary based on how well the car was maintained. But typically if the head is silverish to very light gold the engine can be 20k miles or lower. 20k-50k the color should be a light golden to light bronze with no sludge build up yet. 50k-100k the color may be dark golden to brown and some sludge may be present but not excessive. 100-150K the color will be brown to very dark brown and sludge more than likely present and possibly very thick. Over 150k will be just plain nasty!

4) Inspect very thoroughly for cracked retainers. KLZE engines are very well known for cracking the retainers and dropping the valves. It is also very recommended that after performing your pre-installation inspection that you replace the KLZE intake valvesprings, retainers and locks with either KL01 versions or aftermarket. There are several threads on PT about how to do this so use the search function and do some in-depth reading into this.

5) Remove the cam cap nearest the distributor (not the one that the disributor mounts in). Gently rock it back and forth to losen it until it comes off. (more photos) Then wipe it clean with a very clean dry cloth. Take photos of the clean cloth prior and during wiping to show that you did not cause any scoring that may be found. What you need to look for is scoring in the cam cap. If there is scoring then this is a good sign that there are metal particles in the oil supply that are damaging the cams and bearing caps. These particles are more than likely grinded from the #6 bearing. Ref pics: http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...amagedCaps.jpg

6) If you find scoring in the previous step then it is highly recommendable to pull the oil pan and inspect the rod and perhaps main bearings. It may not be neccessary to inspect the mains if the rods are good because normally the rods are the first to go and in particular the #6 because it is furthest from the oil supply and gets the least amout of oil.

Put your engine on a stand (if you have one). If you don't then remove the intake manifold and any other breakable items (photo, photo) so you can roll the engine upside down (photos). Remove the oil pan to inspect the rod bearings (photos before touching internals). Then remove the #6 rod cap to inspect the bearing. It should not be scored, malled, jagged, out of alignment from the rod split line or missing. If it shows any unusual wear or signs of burned metal, melted etc then take photos.

7) DO NOT GET MAD AT THIS POINT! It may be very hard to not do so but to get the best results from the importer you need to start with a reasonable attitude. E-mail the high quality photos to the importer and call them directly after sending them so that you can discuss the photos first hand before the e-mail has a chance to slip into oblivion (or denial -whichever comes first). You as the customer should not have to pay for any additional shipping to rectify the problem even though many of the importers try telling you that you have to. If you don't make a stand then you will get abused!

8) If you have been taken at this point and the seller refuses to work with you when you have been reasonable then you have several options available to you. First of all you may post your results with photobucket photos in this thread. Second you can flile a small claims court claim against the importer if they are based in the US. You can report bad customer support to the consumer reports agency http://www.consumerreports.org And if warranted you may even be able to work through their local law enforcement agency to get your money back. (I have done this before) Just be sure to have all receipts, proofs of purchase, shipping docs, photos etc...

I will continue to add information to this thread and photos of typical signs of damage to look for. I think it is time for a thread like this and I think it will save many new and a few old members from much heartache.

This stems from a recent KLZE install I attempted (twice now) for someone and the first engine looked as though it was between 100k-150k miles when it was claimed to be 30-50 with compression leak down tests as most vendors claim. It had a spun #6 bearing and the seller told the customer that he should have just put the engine in and run it and it would have been fine. I would be willing to bet one of my paychecks that it wouldn't have lasted a week. Who wants to replace an engine again after only a day or two of driving? answer: nobody but nascar drivers

So the second engine was sent after the customer had to pay shipping again (shouldn't have had to) but upon this inspection we found the cams to be so badly rusted that if we had installed it with no inspection and run it like that then it would have destroyed the HLAs after a very short time. And a camshaft could possbly have broken. Again the seller (Owner) told the customer that he should have run it like that and it would be fine. He said they do it all the time.

So after these experiences and after all the readings I have done in thread after thread I decided it was time to make a stand against bad business. This thread is not for people who drop valves and destroy engines and get all torqued over it. If you don't inspect your engine thoroughly before installation then you are on your own. This is why it is highly recommendable to do the inspection.
    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 2, 2008, 09:53 PM.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Very good information in here. It should help anybody looking to purchase a KLZE engine.

Comment

Picks from Noyan KLZE #2 engine install attempt

OK here are the latest pics from the second attempt engine after the first attempt had a spun #6 bearing. The photos below are taken during the inspection of the engine before ever being removed from the pallet.

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h..._Cover_Off.jpg

So far so good!

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...er_Removed.jpg

But not quite as good underneath the rear cover!
      Take another look:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...usted_Cams.jpg

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ed_Cams-02.jpg

And check out the butcher job on the cam hex and valve cover surface:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...Hex_Damage.jpg

Pre-installation inspections are very important!
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Nice work!! Where did he get that motor from? Thats just not right at all!!! I'm working on my 4th ze right now lol. I wish you would of done this write up sooner i'm almost done with my install. I pulled the valves and they looked really good. Almost to good to be true. I pick it up from cali. Then i saw they had a station they would pull the valve covers off and clean them. that didn't make me feel good at all. so i then had them do a compresson test and they were all over 200. I will find out tomorrow or sat how it runs.
        Last edited by teribble; January 2, 2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teribble
          Nice work!! Where did he get that motor from? Thats just not right at all!!! I'm working on my 4th ze right now lol. I wish you would of done this write up sooner i'm almost done with my install. I pulled the valves and they looked really good. Almost to good to be true. I pick it up from cali. Then i saw they had a station they would pull the valve covers off and clean them. that didn't make me feel good at all. so i then had them do a compresson test and they were all over 200. I will find out tomorrow or sat how it runs.
          He got his motor from Noyan. Good to hear that yours looks good so far!
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

this is good stuff. sticky?
            -Roman
            93 teal mist PGT.....RIP march 21, 2008
            95 white PGT....blown up, sold
            94 325i...boring dd
            02 R6....toy

Comment

Originally posted by teribble
              Nice work!! Where did he get that motor from? Thats just not right at all!!! I'm working on my 4th ze right now lol.
              I am just curious - is this the 4th ZE because you keep getting bad ones from importers? Or is it your 4th install on various cars?
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

wow i guess im in trouble then... ive had my engine for 5 months now and i havent even intalled it still have the wrap around though

Comment

Originally posted by xXGTV6Xx
                  wow i guess im in trouble then... ive had my engine for 5 months now and i havent even intalled it still have the wrap around though
                  Yea you may have passed your warranty date. But if you have any questions about what can be done about any bad findings just ask.
                  Restoration of a legend

Comment

i shouldve known

Comment

This is EXTREMELY valuable information... I hope that everyone on this site heeds this warning and listens openly to the suggestions mentioned here...
                      Last edited by Venchman; January 3, 2008, 08:52 PM.
                      93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Comment

What are they charging you for the motors?
                        ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                        ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                        ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Regarding the rusted cams.....if you are past your warranty period and you find your cams are rusted, you can remove them and use very fine ( 00 ) steel wool to remove / smooth out the rust from the journals. Oil them between "sandings".
                          '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                          '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                          '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSquid
                            Regarding the rusted cams.....if you are past your warranty period and you find your cams are rusted, you can remove them and use very fine ( 00 ) steel wool to remove / smooth out the rust from the journals. Oil them between "sandings".
                            Have you seen the photos of the rust? It isn't just minor skin rust - it is deep rust and he just got the engine but Noyan won't honor the warranty. I had thought about trying to clean them up some with some steel wool or some wet-or-dry but they are far gone beyond that. I have cleaned up some rough cams before but in my opinion this is too much! And I am really dissapointed that Noyan has chosen to not honor the warranty that is expressed on their website.
                            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 3, 2008, 08:58 PM.
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

A motor from Noyan is about 1050.00 USD
                              93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Comment

Working...
                              X