No announcement yet.

retarding cam timing with larger idler pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This site needs a section for stories like this. Not kill stories, more like a WTH happened.
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
      This site needs a section for stories like this. Not kill stories, more like a WTH happened.
      This is 100% happening, pulley is off and i have measured up the size required to retard the cam timing the desired amount. Should be back together and running in 2-3 weeks. This has been done before with an adjustable pulley and good results.
      Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
      Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
      Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

I think something was misunderstood. I just meant I was entertained by mac1's story and there should be a section for that. Not doubting you one bit stoker100.
        Probe out for Harambe

Comment

Never used the manual tb tensioner but couldn't you use a longer bolt and remove the slack there? Maybe a cam bolt of some sort on the idler to remove the slack?
          94 PGT
          [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Np BLUEnoEQ, sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by xrp861 View Post
            Never used the manual tb tensioner but couldn't you use a longer bolt and remove the slack there? Maybe a cam bolt of some sort on the idler to remove the slack?
            The tensioner does not effect the timing, i only mentioned it because you can see the tensioner is almost at its limits after shaving the head. Im taking about the pulley on the other side behind the dipstick.
            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Hmmm....sounds like my cam olt idea would work...or both the idler are same diameter so you can maybe split the diff between them and tighten it up. Could also make new alignment spots upon cam install so they're in the correct spot. Would work like adjustable cam gears...just way more of a pita. Idk if it was me I'd make the shop who milled them but me new ones for butchering the job and not using a spec sheet to know where you stand.
              94 PGT
              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

NP. Don't the heads have a spot that tells you how much meat there is to shave? It looks like a recessed circle. There was a 4G63 video I saw a while back where the guy pointed it out and then I saw it on one of my heads. I'm not confident in the adjustment or shimming of spinny parts.

What about welding in the cam pin slot on the timing pulley and then drilling out a new hole forward or aft where you want it on each pulley? Edit: OR enlarge the cam pulley slot in the direction you want to go and sleeve the cam pin itself to remove any slop.
                Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; February 6, 2018, 11:21 PM.
                Probe out for Harambe

Comment

I would maybe consider the cdf pulleys if they are still available. That way you had them and if there were a time down the road something came up to where you wish you had them and they are no longer available. Might be an easier job and it says they are a little lighter which will reduce rotational power loss (who knows how much our even noticeable) but definitely something I myself would consider. 160# I believe it's around $200 then it would be good to go.

Although some of the other ideas on here sounds like they should work as well so you have a little to think about.
                  1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                  2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                  99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
                    I would maybe consider the cdf pulleys if they are still available.
                    You havent been reading the posts have you?

Comment

If it were my car I'm just giving the direction I would go personally. Or as was mentioned above I would go back to the shop that did not supply you with a spec sheet. If anything was on any paperwork it should at the very least show what was milled off. Make them figure out the timing correction since they did not give you a direct number to work with.

Just my .02
                      1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound

Comment

It was done about 5 years ago now, i told them to shave the head if it wasnt flat and its my fault i didnt ask for a spec sheet.

Comment

I just wanted to update the thread, i have a new pulley and am in the process of putting it all back together (leaking water pump has been replaced) so this weekend i should be able to tell if it has made a difference or not.

Comment

Just wanted to check back in and let you all know its back together and running well.

A few things i have found so far:
                            - Cold start the car runs leaner (i was expecting it to run richer at idle).
                            - Warmup appears to occur faster now (but i also changed the water pump so this may not be related to the timing modification).
                            - The exhaust tone has changed meaning my mechanical timing has changed (yay). I am yet to take it for a decent blat to see how it has effected performance.

Here is the exhaust note now, ignore the lean crackle, that's obviously been fixed (this was the first start after putting it back together). Sadly I cant find a before comparison video at the moment so it means nothing to you all.
                            exhaust note

Comment

Lean on start up is a bit of a concern.
                              1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

+2 on above

Comment

Working...
                                X