computer issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer issues

ok I have a hp that I got about 6 months ago. Yeah I know God help me I bought one.
    Anyways, the last week it's been freezing up every 15 minutes so I have to restart it. Last night I ran the recovery disk on it and completely formatted the harddrive and put everything back to the way it was when I bought it. Well now my internet explorer is saying that the resolution has to be 800x600 and it won't open. I am on the aol browser now. I have voodoo2 in it and it won't let me change to 800x600, it keeps it at 640x480.
    how can I mess with the internet explorer to make it open at 640x480???
    NoclssGT.com
    PhotoPOC
    DaddyPOC
    1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4

How'd you get here? You must have some kind of access to a browser eh? Go download Opera www.opera.com somehow and install it. Then use that to go download the newest Internet Explorer and install it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.htm

You should be able to use it with AOL still..

And if you can, get off of AOL too, but that's a sidenote
    - Vic
    - 2016 Citroen Cactus ("It's quirky!")

Comment

Well, if it's the older Voodoo2 card, sometimes newer systems are like "WTF" with it. I had the Creative Labs Voodoo2 (loved it at the time!!) but it sucks hardcore on my new system, so I bought a new vid card. You might want to try reinstalling it and see what can happen. If all else fails, buy a newer card and have it installed professionally. For $120, you can get a nice setup (install and price of card). My GeForce NVidia was that much total and I LOVE IT. Also, the Voodoo2 needs other programs to tweak it because that little tool in Display Properties is useless. It's really touchy as hell... What I did was set my desktop at 800X600 (in Settings tab) and 32 bit color, click the Voodoo2 tab, then use the drop down menu for Direct3d or OpenGL and do it manually there. Do each first. Do not do the "both" one cuz that's just annoying and doesn't like to work for some reason. Also, whatever refresh rate you set it at, make sure your monitor is ok with it. My new monitor couldn't sync with it. If all this doesn't work shoot the damn card. :smile: Voodoo2's didn't come out with any more than 16 MB of onboard memory, right? The newer cards are sweet... Mine's 32MB and there is NEVER lag.
      Ðon Mudge
      - 1994 Mustang GT - Mods, 14.1@97 (old time)
      - 1990 Probe GT MTX - Winter car, some stuff

Comment

ummm...isn't the voodoo2 a pass through 3d accelerator? That should mean that another graphics card is being used for 2d performance (aol and IE).
        former 96blackPGT owner
        current 03blackA6avant owner

Comment

you mean windows won't let you change the display to 800x600? sounds like you have a generic driver installed for your card. grab the latest from the manufacturer web site.

Comment

I think the recovery disk just installed the original HP driver. The following is just my opinion and I take no responsibilty for assing up your system if you try it and it doesn't work.

Right click My Computer >
            Select Properties >
            Click the Device Manager tab >

I'll bet you'll see a listing for your card with an exclamation point on it.

Select remove and reboot your machine. PnP should see the card and ask to install software for it. Break out the disks you got with the card and reinstall the drivers.

(You saved your disks didn't you?)

HTHs

Comment

ok, I fixed it.
              I just went through aol's browser and redownloaded IE and ran that, seemed to fix the problem. I've had this Voodoo card in my computer since I got it, guess the old drivers weren't compatible.
              NoclssGT.com
              PhotoPOC
              DaddyPOC
              1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4

Comment

Working...
              X