I just gained 50hp!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just gained 50hp!!!

Hehehe, this is good, you'll like this. Anyway, I've had a boost controller on the car for like a year, but I've just been running with the stock gauges. The car felt quicker, and it looked like the boost was hitting pretty high, so I never really questioned it.

Well....

Couple weeks ago, I order myself a nice gauge pillar and an autometer boost guage. I had it pretty much installed 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't hook up the boost line because I couldn't tee it up very well. That, and I wired it up at like 2 am. Enter Home Depot yesterday, with its multitude of brass fittings. Heheh, I hook it up in the parking lot, turn the key, and hey! it works! Get on the highway, step on the loud petal and.... WHAT THE ****?! I've only been running @ 3 psi for a year!! First thing I do when I get home? Tighten the Dawes, and out onto the street I go. And watch as that gauge rockets to 10 psi! FInally!! What a world of difference. And if we assume that for every +1psi = ~7hp, than I just made 49 hp!!!

The moral is:

Get a damn boost gauge. Thank you, and goodnight.
    2006 Nautical Blue Scion tC

1989 Metallic Midnight Garnet PGT --> Swiftus Maximus Swift no longer...

myspace/tjbartjr

Dang, I can't believe you even felt the turbo at 3psi ! Congrats on your newly found power!

And god bless Home Depot
    91PGT project car still isn't done, don't ask

Comment

Originally posted by EVERY DETAIL
      And god bless Home Depot
      Amen, my brother!
      2006 Nautical Blue Scion tC

1989 Metallic Midnight Garnet PGT --> Swiftus Maximus Swift no longer...

myspace/tjbartjr

Comment

haha nice job slick

Comment

wait a minute, what was your stock gauge reading at?
          my gauge reads at 9psi now, and i hit 15.5@90, I really hope this stock is lying to me and when i hook up my boost gauge it will show 3psi.
          Lots of 1st gen PGT parts. bigger intercooler, computer, rear strut bar, brand new clutch, dual boost controller, boost gauge, air fuel meter, brand new fuel pump, etc.

Comment

[i] I really hope this stock is lying to me and when i hook up my boost gauge it will show 3psi. [/B]
            I was hoping the same thing but my stock gauge was right. I am boosting 9-10
            HOSER BRAD

88 10th Anniversary RX-7
            02 Explorer Limited
            The probe is gone but the memories remain.

Comment

same experience here but not that drastic when i had just the stock gauge, i had it pegged out so i guessed it was around 14 psi and i ran a 14.7@ 96... when i finally added the autometer a few weeks later, i was only at 10-11 psi

Comment

18psi on my turbo right now but I dont' even have a probe anymore. Doesn't mean I can't be excitied about boost either

~G~
                Sold the probe over 10 years ago. Got married, and now I rock a prius.

Comment

Damn this 90+ degree weather. I am only boosting 9psi constantly now. 20 degrees cooler and I would be at 10.5. Grrr...

Anyways, my stock gauge was pretty accurate. It showed just past the 9 psi mark and when I hooked up my gauge It read 9 -10 psi. Mine is in bar so every tick is 1.5 psi instead of 1 like the American gauges.

Anyways, good news to the Probe community. The Lotek gauge pod can fit a 60mm gauge in it. You just have to bore the living **** out of the hole. Then make a small groove in the pillar part of the pod. Anyways my Apex boost gauge looks so pretty in its new home. Now I just have to hook up the electrical work for it and I will have even more indiglos to look at.

I should take some pictures for you guys with 60mm gauges.
                  1999 Chevy Tracker (daily driver)
                  1966 Ford Mustang (the neverending project)
                  1998 Yamaha FZR600 (track bike)
                  2004 Suzuki GSXR750

Comment

Tom, I'm going to try not to make fun of you too much for that escapade this weekend.

Great fix though!!!!!!!
                    Greg Martin
                    2009 BMW 328i
                    2017 BMW X3
                    1990 Probe LX

Comment

Working...
                    X