No announcement yet.

1989 Probe GT barn find rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turned out great. those pipe really make that otherwise drab engine bay pop.
    93gt 230k dd.
    1993 probe gt
    96 pgt 135k dd
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...100_3918-1.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by qwqb View Post
      Just read this thread...twice! A lot of inspiration to be had here! I am picking up my 89 PGT tonight.

I love how you did the suspension and handling mods before even worrying about a bigger turbo what are the most important mods you can do to get better handling out of this car?

Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your suspension setup and what was the size/spacing on the xxr's? I love the stance!
      Thanks of the kind words! Glad the thread is inspiring others!

I'd say for the best suspension performance the first thing you should do is make sure you address any old parts. Bushings balljoints and tie rods are wear items and I have often found one of the most neglected areas of these cars.

Id say first steps towards upgrading would be a good set of springs and dampers, poly end links and frame bushings are also a readily available rehab/upgrade. 90+ MX6GT rear strut tower bar also made a reasonable difference and you can also grab the lower tie brace (Kind of a placebo mod, never noticed a difference with/without one installed.)

Stance on the xxr's were achieved with 2g tein coilovers using fc rx7 camber plates in the front and s13 front camber plates in the rear. The sizing was 17x8.25" wheels with +35 offset and a 205/45-17 tire but there was room for a wider tire.

Originally posted by tour96se View Post
      turned out great. those pipe really make that otherwise drab engine bay pop.
      Thanks! Definitely adds some bling haha.
      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Had a crazy long term project thought this weekend, Ford offers a full engine management retrofit system for using their ecoboost 2.0L engine from the focus st . The prices at salvage auctions for a totaled FoST seems reasonable, with enough meat left on the bone to recoup a few bucks.

Going to do a little poking to get some rough dimensions of the drive train package but seems like a retrofit could be doable with a donor car.
        2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• He 1.6 isnt doing it for you anymore? Lol
          1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
            He 1.6 isnt doing it for you anymore? Lol
            I'm saying stuff the ecoboost motor in the pgt. Still in the crazy idea stage, need to gather many more details and rough drivetrain dimensions.

The 1.6 has 400whp power potential with a turbo upgrade and a good tune, but I'm avoiding hot rodding the daily
            Last edited by plx92; October 26, 2015, 02:17 PM.
            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Would be interesting...
              1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• plx92 is that the same engine from the '13 and up Fusion? It may be easier to find one of those wrecked. Probably with a 6 speed atx though. It should move out pretty good with that engine, considering the one I drove was burdened with a heavier body, atx and awd.
                Probe out for Harambe
                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

• Why not test the potential of the f2t first?

Fe3 would be the only motor I would replace an f2t with
                  1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
                    Why not test the potential of the f2t first?

Fe3 would be the only motor I would replace an f2t with
                    For starters, the smooth power delivery of the direct injected engines is phenomenal, but also a much more stout 6spd trans, there is one of the best ecoboost tuners in the country local to me, and reliable power potential of the eb 2.0 is far greater than the f2.

Would be more for the wow factor and a new uncharted project than anything, just a fun idea I'm kicking around. If the stars align and I find a local wrecked st3 for the right price. My checkbook might get lighter. But for the meantime, I'm more than happy with the performance of my f2.

As for other news, crappy plastic spectra radiator let go the other day, Ordered an aluminum s13 sr20 2 row and fan shroud kit and will be retrofitting that in the next couple weeks.
                    Last edited by plx92; October 27, 2015, 06:01 AM.
                    2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                    2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• I kicked the idea of an ecoboost in my 94 SE as well. With the right transaxle, it could be a beast...

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

• engine looks so sweet!
                        hey, that manifold heat shield looks brand new, where did you get it if so?
                        1989 Ford Probe GT stock turbo, HKS I/C Pipes, SBC TZ clutch, KVR cadmium/slotted rotors & pads, SMC SS brake lines, K&N filter, intake silencer-delete, A/C-delete, FSTB, Probesport RSTB, Probesport STS, custom mandrel stainless exhaust with Magnaflow muffler and highflow cat, Tokico "blues", Eibach Pro Kit, Yokahama Avid H4's on 17" Enkei TBS-11's, Raxles axles, Energy Suspension endlinks, ARP cyl head stud and exhaust manifold stud conversions

Comment

• Originally posted by 89probegt View Post
                          engine looks so sweet!
                          hey, that manifold heat shield looks brand new, where did you get it if so?
                          Thanks! I actually painted it with high temp paint, but the paint is burning and beginning to flake. Thinking of trying to find a nicer one and having it nickel plated.
                          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Latest Developments:

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Nice! Me likey!

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

• In the midst of other projects as well. Back to stock brakes, picked up some blank rotors for all corners to go along with the ebc pads. Also picked up some proper hub centric spacers, rings on the way, hopefully this will get rid of the slight vibration. New open ended lugs as well, more of a housekeeping thing.

First salt this morning so won't be able to really play till the spring.
                                2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                                2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X