This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bergz0 View Post
    93gts i went to my work took both rotors which we stocked off the shelf and matched them up. they really arent that much bigger
    Are you INSANE? They are freaking HUGE. I'm not talking about regular mazda 6 rotors. I'm talking about MAZDASPEED 6 rotors. The rears are nearly the same size as the fronts. If the rears were vented, you'd never be able to tell them from the fronts.

Wherever you work, you stock the WRONG PARTS. What is your email address? I'll send you pictures of both of them tomorrow (speed 6 vs regular 6 vs speed 6 fronts).

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Originally posted by Bergz0 View Post
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...6rearrotor.jpg
    heres a photo i took at work, mazda 6 rear rotor on bottom probe rotor on top, given there not perfrectly lined up but theres stil not an inch there, im not saying anything to try and down it but thats fact here
    Have you read a single post I've made? I'm NOT talking about regular 6/milan/fusion/zephyr/mkz rear brakes. I'm talking about MAZDASPEED 6 rear brakes.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Originally posted by Bergz0 View Post
    06 mazda speed calipers do no work on the probe, just tried to fit them, caliper bracket is too short
    Ross (Evil Probe) and I have already proved that they do work. It is a direct bolt-on (don't expect your backing plates to work). The brackets are part of the caliper even though they aren't cast on it, you can't use them with the wrong bracket and expect it to fit?!?! Try checking a "LOADED" caliper that includes the bracket and report back your findings.

Bergz0,

Redo your measurements with 06-07 Mazdaspeed 6 front and rear rotors. I can almost promise you that you don't stock them.
    Last edited by 93GTS; March 12, 2011, 11:04 PM.
    "Soon, it occurred to me that there were two races going on...
    one for those who'd brought the right tools and one for those who were tools."

Comment

• Originally posted by 93GTS View Post
      No update, working on getting the car painted... finally (after 3 years). The calipers will bolt right on. The e-brake cable is a very small matter, you have several choices; make your own (best idea), try the fusion/6 cable (different rubber grommet, so not a direct swap) and take a chance on the length being right for, or just don't hook it up.

You're right about the rotors being bigger, they're almost as large as the fronts, but the calipers are exactly the same as the regular 6/fusion/mkz/zephyr/milan. The bracket is the only difference.

Remember, you'll probably have to swap sides with the calipers to get them to bolt up like the PGT ones do. In that case, I strongly suspect that the normal PGT cables will work with the PGT cable brackets.
      The e-brake-cable is not a small matter at all. It is the only problem that keeps people from using MS6 brakes on the rear. That's why nobody has a solution for this.
      Normal PGT cable will definately not work.
      What you mean by switching sides? There is only one way the calipers can be mounted. If you turn them upside-down you will have a problem bleeding them.
      A working e-brake is required for street legality inspection here in germany, plus not having an e-brake is not a good idea at all IMHO aside from problems when parking on hills...

Comment

• I noticed you didn't PM or post your email address. I can back what I'm posting up with pictures and proof. I think you need to actually look at one of the calipers before you continue.

The cable is a very small matter regardless of what you say. If E-brake problems meant you couldn't drive a PGT in the US, they'd all be banned because of the override mechanism corroding and freezing.

This week: I'll order a set of cables and write a how-to thread. I'll post it next weekend or make a PDF and send it to everybody who needs it.

Anybody who has ever cut down and put an end on a universal e-brake cable can figure this out. I don't know why you're making such a huge deal out of it. Just order a pair of nice stainless cables and do it.

Comment

• everyone of the dozen probes or so ive owned, have had working ebrakes. maybe not when i bought them. but they did when i drove them.
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

• @GTS: Cool. I am looking forward to your Howto with the pictures.

Comment

• i am pumped to see the larger speed6 rear brakes behind a wheel! post pics in this thread!!
              1994 pgt-grey, slammed, static, boosted and always brokenhttp://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701291478
              2003 SAAB 9-3 aero - red, slammedl, static, 3piece ADV.1 wheels...the daily

Comment

• Originally posted by 94pgt94 View Post
                i am pumped to see the larger speed6 rear brakes behind a wheel! post pics in this thread!!
                LMAO... You're not going to see them behind a wheel on my car... All I have are 16's, which is why they aren't on the car yet. I'll eventually pick up some 17" Kosei K1 TS wheels, but not before the car gets painted. I've delayed that in order to buy some carbon fiber parts, so who knows.

I've made absolutely no progress. I'm (always, it seems) working this weekend to meet a deadline for a proposal. I promise that this will be my first project when I get some time off. Actually, right now I'm supposed to be swapping a KL for somebody... so I guess the brakes are my SECOND priority. I know everybody wants to actually see that the calipers will work (whether it is with the small or large bracket). The e-brake cable is a simple matter and I'll prove it. The hardest thing will be routing it up to where it needs to be.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
                rear speed brakes do not work. its an entirely different set up since there AWD.

front mazdaspeed brakes will bolt up and work exactly as has been said over and over again.
                Actually, the speed 6 rear calipers are exactly the same ones used for the FWD cars. Only the brackets are different. The rear rotors slip right on my FWD fusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by 93GTS View Post
                  The e-brake cable is a simple matter and I'll prove it. The hardest thing will be routing it up to where it needs to be.
                  If the e-brake cable is not the problem, what else is a problem anyways? Everthing else is bolt-on.

I'm eager to see your solution soon.

Comment

• 93gts i know the rears are way bigger on the speed than the regular 6's i see that im saying like i said before they wont work on the rear of the probes unless a bracket is made to make them fit. the speed 6 bracket is too short. i know the speed 6's are bigger. i saw for myself

Comment

• @Bergz0: Mazdaspeed6 rear brakes are direct bolt on for probe 2nd gen. Everything fits: brackets, calipers, pads, rotors. The only thing that needs to be done is cutting the heat shield so the rotors wont touch it. I've tested it myself.

Only the e-brake cable is a problem here...

Comment

• We know the 98+ 626 brakes are a direct bolt on for the rear brakes. The Mazda 6 front brakes are a direct bolt on, as are the Mazdaspeed 6 brakes. Since Brembo makes a GT big brake kit for the Mazda 6, in theory, the 330mm brembo brakes and calipers should be a bolt on to the probe? Anyone tried it? (No, I don't mind spending the money, just a gamble).

Comment

• id say the only gamble is if it will clear your wheels. sine we know the brakes swap. theres no reason a kit made for the 6 wont fit on a probe.
                          PaTricK

Comment

• try it then

Comment

• The mazda 6 BBK's should work no problem. At this point, the dust shields are pointless as they'll do no good whatsoever. Jason's (indymx6) Focus SVT didn't even have dust sheilds on it stock. You'll need 18's to clear them, though.

Still no progress, trying to make up my mind whether to bite the bullet and buy a CF hatch for the car along with the sunroof panel... The car is getting a new stripe kit (its a GTS), so I'm leery of spending 1k on a CF hatch and then drilling holes in it for the spoiler and painting it... then again, the stock metal hatch will develop cancer eventually.

At least my tranny is done now. MS Protege diff, new GTX 3rd, new 2.0 5th, new bearings, new syncrho rings... should be fun.
                              Last edited by 93GTS; April 13, 2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• 17's clear the mazdaspeed6 brakes without an issue. many of the speed6 guys run the reg mazda6 wheels as winter's even. the 03-05's can fit 15's. ive actually installed my 15in 97 626 wheels on my 05 mazda6 just to see if it would clear. and the 06-08's need a 16 in wheel to clear.
                                PaTricK

Comment

Working...
                                X