I searched and came up with a few good clutch threads:

The rest of them were:

PT1: ACT sucks!
    PT2: No it doesn't
    PT1: yes it does, it sucks little hairy gerbil testicle!1!!1
    PT3: You are both , CMII is teh Sht!
    PT2: F U NOOB!
    PT1: CM Roxors!
    PT4: Are any of you actually running boosted cars at this point?
    PT1: .........
    PT2: ..........
    PT3: ...........
    PT4: ............ Exactly .......
    PT1,2,3: F U OLD BALLS!!11!!!

Now I'll give you a history:

I just finished a full day's worth of work on her car and tied up alot of loose ends that have been lingering for ....... 10 months or so, and on the drive home the clutch started slipping. What is installed is a Clutchmasters III on an MX3 FW.........I was under the impression that they could handle 6 psi...

So at this point I need to start shopping for a clutch. I am budget minded, but will spend money in the right places. I need a clutch that will hold the current 6# on the car, and want to build in a safety window of up to 9#, althouth the car will never see it.................I don't think.

The car is a daily driver, driven by my wife.

BEAR IN MIND SHE USED TO DRIVE MY CAR WITH THE OLD VALLEY FRICTION CLUTCH, AND LOVED IT She didn't mind the 2800# PP.

I've got basically an affinity for a full face because I dislike the on-off of a puck disk. However, after reading the other threads, apparently there have been some breakthroughs in drivability of puck clutches?

I'm no stranger to clutch installs, and I've replaced my fair share on my own cars. I ran the Valley Friction for 14K, I had a Paeco Clutch that lasted 280,000 w/ NOS and then Boost, I've ran the eClutchmasters (TeH Gay), and I currently have an ACT HDSS? in my SC-PGT (of which I'm not entirely happy with it)

What I need are SOLID RECOMENDATIONS on a clutch, or clutch Hybrid for this application. One that you are using, or have used, and have the miles on it to show it is a good clutch. Overkill is OK to an extent, because I don't want to be replacing it again in under a year. The more crap you put on these cars the more difficult it is to work on them.

So basic guidelines:
    • What clutch are you running with your boosted car.
    • What is your boost set-up & How many pounds
    • are you an aggressive driver with it .... like my wife's driving, so .........Aggressive.
    • How many miles do you have on said clutch
    • if given the opportunity, would you reinstall the same clutch or go with another one, and why?

Thanks all.
    ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
    ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
    ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

I have an unsprung 6 puck RX7 clutch with the stock MX3 pressure plate. It grabs real hard and took over 12k miles of all motor ZE abuse and now a few thousand boosted miles and it's still kicking. It handles 10psi like a champ.
    Last edited by hppwdn; February 4, 2007, 08:42 AM.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
    HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
    Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
    As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

Ive had an ACT street, Spec 2, spec 3, SBC DXD, and SBC OFE.

OFE is the best in driveability and holding power.
      94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
      98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
      04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

I like the OFE is you can get a working pressure plate from SBC So far i've been very unhappy with the plate. The cluch is just NOT fully disengaging on either install. It has gotten better with a little bit of break-in, but the trans still shifts really hard

Its definitely a pressure plate problem. So far, we have had this problem with 3 of the clutches. Two OFE (with the SS Plate) and a run of the mill TZ. Andy has worked with me @ SBC in trying to fix the problem, but taking the trans on and off is really getting old at this point.

Once we figure out this problem, I'll probably really start to like it. The pedal feel with the SS plate is good (despite the low engagement) and it slips really nice. No clutch chatter.
        I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
        92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Comment

Jordan doesnt know how to use his clutch, so he's a big girl. I LOVE my SBC. It came from the original dual friction design they made for our cars for a bulk buy. It was a stage2 upgrade rated for 284lb-ft at the crank and I just put down 307ft-lbs at the wheels. So Im already going 25% over what its rated for and Ive never had a problem. I havent used any of their new Torza clutches but I would guess they are very similar in feel.

The problem with these cars will always be trying to find something that will hold loads of torque but still have a smooth engaging disk that will be easier on the diff. My last comment has to be, if people would stop abusing and ruining their clutches by not knowing how to drive and how to break in a clutch people would rarely blow out a disk. Me and Jordan were just talking about this the other day. There are A LOT of tools that race on their clutch on the first day. My clutch and flywheel looked brand new after 15,000 miles of hard abuse. SBC owns me!
          Dan Brown - 1995 Turbo PGT ~ SOLD ~
          287whp & 307lb-ft. @ 10.5psi & 12* Timing

Comment

spec 6 puck sprung, or act 6 puck sprung. not chattery at all, love how both cars engage, slip, and general driving.

first and reverse are the typical challange with a pucked clutch, but all other gears the clutch feels like stock.

Comment

I have a Clutchamsters Stage 4 (4-puck). Absolutley love it! I have not boosted on it yet, but have ran upwards of a 125 shot on a KLZe and never slipped once. I even ran it on 26" slicks with a 75 shot right off the line and it grabbed like a mofo.

It is smooth engagement for daily drivers, as my car is. Pedal pressure feels stock, and when dropped will grab. I will definately replace this clutch with the same when/if it goes out.

I have had SPEC 6-puck, ACT 6-puck, CM Stage 3, CM stage 4 (4-puck) I love my Clutchmaster

Comment

OK at this point I'm going to need an acronym legend:

VF - Valley Friction
                CM - ClutchMasters
                CF - Centerforce
                ACT - Advanced Clutch Technology
                SBC - South Bend Clutch
                DXD - ?
                OFE - ?
                SPEC - That is the brand?
                TORZA - No clue
                Last edited by TravisWilliams_GT; February 5, 2007, 06:43 PM.
                ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

spec is the brand. specclutch.com

Comment

bro go with the same clutch you put on my car hands down....the spec stage 2 has a great feel and hasnt slipped on its own once for me...

also if you wanted i might be able to get you one for a cheaper price....
                    mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
                    Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

im pretty sure i bought an EXEDY clutch when i first did the ZE swap a LONG time ago...and now my ZE has been boost at between 5-10 pounds and i still have no sign of slipping. I adrive agressive..but i dont launch much after i got boosted.
                      92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Comment

Travis,
                        Get a FE disk from SBC and use CM PP! I still regreat throwing out my CM1 PP I could have used it for a hybrid like this!

DXD - chatter
                        FE - no chatter
                        CM1 - chater
                        this is what i have used so far
                        Rio Red 94PGT, Turbo T360trim,T3T4E 50 trim,T3T4E57 trim Parted out!
                        1998 Volvo S70, The Brick
                        1999 Red Volvo S70 T5 The Red Devil, modded
                        1998 Black V70R AWD, The Waggo with mods

Comment

Originally posted by mattm
                          bro go with the same clutch you put on my car hands down....the spec stage 2 has a great feel and hasnt slipped on its own once for me...

also if you wanted i might be able to get you one for a cheaper price....

I had a SPEC 2 and I slipped it on 10 psi. I upgraded to an ACT pressure plate and I used to do 20 psi pulls through 4th. It was okay for awhile, then started to slip again.
                          Last edited by mx6gt04; February 4, 2007, 06:07 PM.
                          98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
                          04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

i think sometimes it just has to do with how they are broken in.....i broke my tranny at the track we changed it took out my spec it looked brand new....and this was after repeated launches and hard shifts...it has never slipped on me without me wanting it to.....and i am currently on 9psi of boost....
                            mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
                            Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

I dont know about that.. in my case i broke it in fine. The clutch either holds, or it doesnt, and mine didnt. Mine still looked new when I took it out... even though it was slipping. it only slipped on high boost levels with an ACT pressure plate.

Just a heads up, thats all.
                              Last edited by mx6gt04; February 4, 2007, 06:33 PM.
                              04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

Working...
                              X