Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension > Racing/Suspension Archive

Racing/Suspension Archive Quality Archived Posts and FAQs

Old February 20th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #26
PseudoRealityX
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmark101

if he's looking for just tires, use the falken azenis rs tires. they are a better performer than the yokohama A032R and they are the hot tire to have for the autocrosser if you're looking for a street tire. they are class legal for STS and G stock, whereas the A032R isn't. the kumho victoracer is not legal for STS and is for all stock classes.
Umm, the Falken is a GREAT street tire, but it still can't pull the same lateral G's as a true R compound tire, even a lower performance one like the A032R.

He's not interested in autocross, so it doesnt matter what is and what isn't legal. I simply brought it up to show the differences in doing suspension work and running street tires vs doing little to no suspension work and running R tires.
-93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #27
Serric
Turbo Member

Well, i am interested in autocross, hopefully this june i'll get my first taste of it at the MSD. But i doubt i'll be big into it. There just isnt enough tracks around here.

So i wouldnt be able to compete in autocross with A032R's? Would i be able to participate at all? I wouldnt mind not being able to place so long as i could race, i'd be there for fun and experence.

The other big factor is that i'd really like them to be able to grip well in rain. It gets wet here alot
Old February 20th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #28
Hans[93GT]
Five Star Member

Autocross does not require a track. Most of the time it is done in big parking lots and airports. Look on the SCCA and NASA websites, there WILL be a local club convenient to you.

If you want to autocross, you can do it with whatever kind of car or tire you have. But if you want to be COMPETITIVE, it's a different story. Then you need to be picky. Your car will be classed according to what mods and what tires you have. But you don't even know if you'll like autocross yet, so my advice would be to go to one before you decide how important it is to you.

I would not recommend the Falken or the A032R for average people......they ride a little rougher, make more noise, and aren't the longest-lasting tires. You will have to make sacrifices. But you sound like you're actually serious about handling, so maybe they're for you.
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #29
Serric
Turbo Member

A rough ride and a little noise is better than planting myself into a tree
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #30
ProbesCantBeBeat
Balls Across The Nose

Guys, your forgeting he says it rains alot where he is. It would be a grusome sight seeing him take a fast corner in the rain with the falken azenis'. Correct me if Im wrong, but arnt they slick as snot in the rain?
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #31
PseudoRealityX
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProbesCantBeBeat
Guys, your forgeting he says it rains alot where he is. It would be a grusome sight seeing him take a fast corner in the rain with the falken azenis'. Correct me if Im wrong, but arnt they slick as snot in the rain?
It's not an aquatread, but I didnt have any compliants....went through 3 sets myself.
-93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:47 AM   #32
dmark101
Obfuscatory & Abstruse Nomenclature

i also just drove them through the last showers we had down here and i had NO problems.

they actually gripped better than my kumhos did.