Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension > Racing/Suspension Archive

Racing/Suspension Archive Quality Archived Posts and FAQs

Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Wheel studs - I thought I had the right p/n?

I'm replacing all my aging wheel studs with the late model ARP (corvette) studs, and I ordered Summit P/N 100-7708 (12mm x 1.50).

I got one in, and it seems pretty snug, but being paranoid, I thought the spline numbers were different. Once counted, the stocker was 36 splines, and ARP stud was 28 - wtf, mate? I thought I had the right part.

Search doesn't show anything, and I lost my old records with the useful part numbers. Now I have 40 studs that may not be the right thing...(20 for daily driver, 20 for FrankenProbe).

Here's a pic of the wheel stud comparison:

Click for picture

I think what i'll do if press them in anyway and weld them in the back for a little extra security.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. ||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||- SOLD
93 PGT
- 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi ||
||
||
- GONE
97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! -
- GONE
90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM   #2
d15b7
PT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [Sac]
I'm replacing all my aging wheel studs with the late model ARP (corvette) studs, and I ordered Summit P/N 100-7708 (12mm x 1.50).

I got one in, and it seems pretty snug, but being paranoid, I thought the spline numbers were different. Once counted, the stocker was 36 splines, and ARP stud was 28 - wtf, mate? I thought I had the right part.
hi dan! correct part number from Summit is definitely ARP-100-7708 (i am looking at my receipts folder right now). they fit very snugly in the hub; i didn't have a press handy, so i lubed up the splines and pulled them in with a spare lugnut and alot of big washers. they were very tight; i didn't weld them in the back, and they have not budged, even after 2 years of hard hard hard wheel-to-wheel road racing. you should be fine, even without welding, on your install.

good luck!
todd
ReidSpeed
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Probesport
20 years of Probin'

Here are the exact ones I used

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/D...20(Medium).JPG

And for good measure my install

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/install.htm

Don't weld them, thats just silly - and the heat isnt good for the splines/hub.

|
|
|
| 2005 VW Touareg V8
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Red_95_PGT
Donating Member

Seems like forcing 28 splines into a hole cut for 36 would cause a problem eventually, are proper ones not available? Also, why the longer studs? Is it to compensate for wheel spacers?
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5
gavin
Supercharged Member

You have the correct part number. Press them in, they will hold without any other means, there is no problem.

Ill show you on the 11th

Gavin
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Good to know. I was pretty certain that I had the right p/n, but 28-36 didn't add up. I'll use the open lugnut + airgun to press them in after lubing the splines for the other ones.

The longer lugs allow for spacers in the future, plus the stockers were stripped, broken, or missing altogether (at least one per wheel), and we all know how missing lugnuts do at autocross tech time

||- SOLD
93 PGT
||
||
- GONE
97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! -
- GONE
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #7
mvaughn1
PT Master

I have those same studs in my car. They're great! I installed them with an open ended lugnut and impact wrench. I used a larger 1/2" drive socket as a spacer, rather than multiple washers.

Mike

- 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #8
jpatanio
PT Regular

ok i got these studs and put them in, but now they are too long for my lug nuts, this is after my spacer adn rim are on.... any suggestions on new lug nuts? or do i need a new spacer, if so my wheel is really goign to stick out

Old March 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Ls3
Donating User

open-ended lugnuts?

(Kauai Blue *blurple*)

Old March 21st, 2006, 08:23 PM   #10
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Yeah, you have to get the open ended lug nuts for these studs.

||- SOLD
93 PGT
||
||
- GONE
- GONE
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:02 PM   #11
UnorthodoxCreat
Not done yet...

He has open ended lugnuts but they arent long enough. You cant get the key in the middle enough to torque them without constantly worrying about stripping them. Where can he get longer lugnuts. The wheels with spacers are already pushed all the way to the edges of the fenders.
1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 - Work truck, wrapped, on 20's . . . 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - Work car
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM   #12
Ls3
Donating User

screw special lugnuts

(Kauai Blue *blurple*)

Old March 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #13
wastedd23
PT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probesport
Here are the exact ones I used

And for good measure my install

http://www.visiononeautosports.com/install.htm

Don't weld them, thats just silly - and the heat isnt good for the splines/hub.

what size spacers do you have and whats the offset on ur rims?
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM   #14
knb13
PT Guru

aside from the part number, what year corvette are these for?
'02 Red/Black Honda CBR 600 F4i... some go fast goodies
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Insipidity
PT Regular

how do you get the old studs off?? thinkin i might do this when i put my rims on
'93 Mazda MX-6 LS: Five AD S5F 18x8.5 +30 & P215/35R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Traction Bars, South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Corksport Stainless Braided Clutch Line, '07 Mazdaspeed6 F+R Brakes, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS, Goodridge SS Brake Hoses, Pacesetter Headers, Test Pipe, Borla Catback, Outlaw Spacer Kit, EGR Block-Off, PRD STS, UHMWP Shifter Bushings, Trans Saver, PRM CAI, RedLineGoods Shift Boot
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Tweaked
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipidity
how do you get the old studs off?? thinkin i might do this when i put my rims on
big ass hammer.

1993 PGTZE, forever under construction...
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Probesport
20 years of Probin'

Air hammer, takes seconds. Using a regular hammer is putting undue stress on the hub.

|
|
|
| 2005 VW Touareg V8