Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension > Racing/Suspension Archive

Racing/Suspension Archive Quality Archived Posts and FAQs

Old April 4th, 2003, 11:09 PM   #51
Hans[93GT]
Five Star Member

Well I'm always biased towards good struts.....I think they do so many positive things for a car.....especially for one whose struts are probably all worn out by now.

Swaybars are fine on smooth dry roads, but any kind of one-wheeled bump or driveway enterance is going to make your head snap sideways if you have a stiff swaybar. I just got sick of it. But if you live in a small town then maybe you're fine.

I'll be looking for an MX-6 pretty soon too......After a year with only a sportbike I want to get back into the game. But I want to keep it in stock class, that way all my money can go for some sweet struts and race tires.
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #52
BeatJunkie08
Balls Across The Nose

Get rid of the whole suspension system and weld steel bars to your wheels, wouldn't be too good for daily driving but shit would that be sick for AutoX

Also: I'm betting $20 that this does not stay his daily driver
Anyone in?
Old April 5th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #53
L-ucky-S-ix

Well if youre talking about after the steel bars, then yes I would jump in on that bet... but since this is my only car, and I am going to be driving this for college, its my DD for sure.

Lets see. I dont know if this is right or not but maybe about 5000 miles a year, I know that is quite a bit for my DD with a stiff suspension, but I am serious enough to be competitive in local/regional stuff. And no I dont care about ride harshness, as in if you could feel rocks that are the size of a marble? that would be fine? That just seems to be right.

Evan
Old April 5th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #54
PseudoRealityX
Supercharged Member

Nathan Whipple daily drives his civic. 500# wheel rates... 700/600# spring rates.

Anyone know the motion ratios on a PGT? I'd suggest something like 400 front, 300 rear, and ditch the swaybars, other than maybe than oems.

Couple that with Koni inserts and a set of Camber plates.
-93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #55
L-ucky-S-ix

I looked at Konis website, and I couldn't find any application for our cars. Where is a good site that you know of that seels these brand struts?

Evan
Old April 5th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #56
Jake_94PGT

Quote:
Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
Anyone know the motion ratios on a PGT? I'd suggest something like 400 front, 300 rear, and ditch the swaybars, other than maybe than oems.

Couple that with Koni inserts and a set of Camber plates.
I would agree with you if he had 1500-1800 to spend on that kind of set-up. He stated before that he only had 500 to spend. The sad part is that if he borrows the extra money from his Dad to complete a set-up like this then he's down the road of spending money he don't have and I would hate to see a HS (going to college) student go in debt for something like autocrossing. Don't spend the money if you can't afford it! It's not worth that much for a closet full of little trophies. Go out have fun with your car..complete college get a good job(if there is such a thing), buy a new car to play with or turn the MX-6 into a play toy. You can wait 4 years to have a kick ass autocross toy. The SCCA is not going anywhere.

I emailed Proparts. com about some koni inserts last week and haven't got a reply by yet. I need to replace a blown tokico...so way not up-grade.

Jake
Old April 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #57
PseudoRealityX
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake_94PGT
I would agree with you if he had 1500-1800 to spend on that kind of set-up. He stated before that he only had 500 to spend. The sad part is that if he borrows the extra money from his Dad to complete a set-up like this then he's down the road of spending money he don't have and I would hate to see a HS (going to college) student go in debt for something like autocrossing. Don't spend the money if you can't afford it! It's not worth that much for a closet full of little trophies. Go out have fun with your car..complete college get a good job(if there is such a thing), buy a new car to play with or turn the MX-6 into a play toy. You can wait 4 years to have a kick ass autocross toy. The SCCA is not going anywhere.

I emailed Proparts. com about some koni inserts last week and haven't got a reply by yet. I need to replace a blown tokico...so way not up-grade.

Jake
I didn't say he had to do it all at once. I'm a poor college student too. The Protege was NEVER setup anywhere near how I wanted it to be, and the first thing I can tell you is that skimping on parts will just result in more money down the line. If you can't afford the parts, don't buy them.

In fact, since youre on a small budget, use the FD wheels as street wheels, buy a set of Illuminas, and put a set of Victoracers on the stock wheels, and practice driving.
-93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #58
L-ucky-S-ix

I will let this thread hibernate (no idea how to spell that!!).
I am going to be doin a lot of thinking; jobs, money, cars, girls, school, and etc.
Will get back to this thread when I have finally updated my car!
Later
Evan
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:55 AM   #59
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

So much good info, so little time. Off to the archives!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. ||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||- SOLD
93 PGT
- 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi ||
||
||
- GONE
97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! -
- GONE
90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP