Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melting plugs in my friends z24

ok this is for mybuddy,,,,,,,,,,

he owns a 96 z24 and he just installed the zex n20 kit, so last night i saw him at the races and he was showing me all his new mods, udp, intake,bigger tb, and he wanted to take me for a ride and show me the difference,

welll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

turns out that he has the arming switch just laying around so he can have it on his lap, and tunr it on when ever he wants,

but i thought zex taps into the tps for it to work?

well anyway he goes to race this stock civic si,, that runs 16's,

with the cockpit switch off he stayed with him untill 3rd gear then he switched the n20 on,,,,,,,

then the car just bogged,,,,,,, lost power and the si smoked him,

so this time i talked to him about how the n20 works, that the arming switch can be armed and that it won t spray n20 in untill wot,

so we line up with the si again, ARMED,

1st gear pulled nice, then 2nd just bogged, and bye third it sounded like he was running on one cylinder!

so we pulled up to walmart lighted parking lot and pulled the plugs and everyone of them melted,

they was ngk's and they was 2 degrees colder, if that matters

but they was all white as can be, [running lean]

so is there any reason for this? this kid won t even tell me what jet he has! i don t think he knowS!

he said anywhere from 75 shot to 100 shot, with no fuel mods

He might have reversed the jetting kit only comes with 55-75, did he just go with a 75 right from the start? Did he use the hose clamps on the vacuum lines, are they tight?
    I don't post here anymore.

Comment

Its a wet kit? He needs to check his fuell jet and get more fuel!
      WAGS

Comment

zex is a dry kit

Comment

Doug,
          My friend melted a couple plugs on his Cobra on the juice one time. Turns out he had them gapped at .060

Tell your friend to change the plugs and MAKE SURE he gaps them right.

Comment

its a good thing he has you for a friend...hopefully someone can save his car. if he won't tell you what jets he's running, how's that going to help? its definately sounds like he's not getting enough fuel..assuming if he already dropped the plug heat range, then he gapped them to where its recommended.
            2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
            2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Originally posted by Stingray77
              He might have reversed the jetting kit only comes with 55-75, did he just go with a 75 right from the start? Did he use the hose clamps on the vacuum lines, are they tight?
              its funny that you say this,,

the vac line off the fuel rail keeps blowing off, :rolleyes:

this almost makes sense, cause he had 1st gear, and 2nd then it bogged, detonated like hell,

so i bet when the vac line poped off the fuel rail i bet the fuel pressure didn t rise and the n20 was still pumping into which would burn to hot and melt his plugs,

any ideas on what would make a slight knock in his motor while driving it normally? around 2500 rpms then it goes away?

Comment

Originally posted by 91PGT

this almost makes sense, cause he had 1st gear, and 2nd then it bogged, detonated like hell,

so i bet when the vac line poped off the fuel rail i bet the fuel pressure didn t rise and the n20 was still pumping into which would burn to hot and melt his plugs,
                Thats right, he's running N2O at a stock fuel pressure, better get some clamps on there. All 4 nipples.

Comment

Originally posted by 91PGT

\Why the "roll"?

That happened to me when I first installed my kit. Zip ties took care of it. Common sense says that if your nitrous isn't working properly, you sure as hell figure out why before you just try it again.
                  SlackPOC

Comment

Originally posted by RITWalter

Common sense says that if your nitrous isn't working properly, you sure as hell figure out why before you just try it again.
                    2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
                    2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Originally posted by RITWalter

\Why the "roll"?

That happened to me when I first installed my kit. Zip ties took care of it. Common sense says that if your nitrous isn't working properly, you sure as hell figure out why before you just try it again.
                      why? because he told me before hand that this keeps happening,

and he just puts it back on and trys it again,

but today i explained to him what is going on and we are going to fix that and try it again,,

but he said something about his motor knocking around 2500 rps so he is waiting to see what happend,

Comment

Hey Doug, i may know what the knocking is

Check your PM's in a min....

Comment

Working...
                        X